Marching Band controversy

Think most of us would agree that demeaning stereotypes are offensive. Just wondering....if the show theme was "Criminally Insane", and still contained strait jackets and padded walls, would that be offensive or not?

Having personally met many people in this category and visited many locked mental facilities through the years (my work), I don't think strait jackets and padded walls would even be appropriate. Restraints are rarely used, but not straight jackets per se (not in my state anyway). There are seclusion rooms, but they are the exception, not the rule.

If it's absolutely necessary to use an ILLNESS as a show theme, why not pick something that everyone experiences and understands, like perhaps the common cold. Don't write a show about something you don't know about. More importantly, don't sensationalize an illness for the sake of a cool idea for a show.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having personally met many people in this category and visited many locked mental facilities through the years (my work), I don't think strait jackets and padded walls would even be appropriate. Restraints are rarely used, but not straight jackets per se (not in my state anyway). There are seclusion rooms, but they are the exception, not the rule.

If it's absolutely necessary to use an ILLNESS as a show theme, why not pick something that everyone experiences and understands, like perhaps the common cold. Don't write a show about something you don't know about. More importantly, don't sensationalize an illness for the sake of a cool idea for a show.

QFT :rolleyes:

One might want to turn away when watching

or

And, for Heaven's sake, one might want to pass on Cirque's newest Vegas show, beLIEve; Penn and Teller might be best for the family. (seems these days, the words "family" and "Vegas" in the same sentence could spur its own controversy!)

I know, I know. The issue is not the jacket, but what was presented in the jacket. I get it.

But, to use the parlance of our times, "just sayin'."

This is truly a shot below the belt to all of us who have mentally ill family members out there. Stick to postive show designs please. People living with mental illness face more (or at least the same amount) of stigma and discrimination than any other group out there. Hell, diagnostic work and testing for mental illness isn't even covered by most insurances out there! (But that's a different story)

Perpetuating stereotypes such as these is utterly disgusting. This enrages me more than anything has in quite a long time.

Way to bring bad press to an otherwise positive and uplifting activity.

Marching Band Routine Offends Mental Health Organization

SAN ANTONIO -- A recent performance by the Churchill High School marching band is being called offensive by some who say the performance was insensitive to those with mental illness.

Whazzamatter--was it too loud???

Football has caused far more mental problems than marching band ever will. Just sayin'...unless you've been whacked by a contra!

Think most of us would agree that demeaning stereotypes are offensive. Just wondering....if the show theme was "Criminally Insane", and still contained strait jackets and padded walls, would that be offensive or not?

Nobody ever perform 'Dark Knight'...the children couldn't handle the straightjackets. (i.e. The Joker?)