Marching Band controversy

If it bothers you so much, why read it? It clearly says marching band in the title. The reason I choose to discuss marching band on THIS forum as opposed to others is because the user base is much more mature (usually) and educated (usally)

I wouldn't be caught dead on marching band planet, the kids over there don't really know there stuff

You need to at least read it to Report it to the Moderators.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, more educated? You spelled "usually" wrong, and used "there" instead of "their". Maybe you should edumacate yourself some grammar before stereotyping marching band kids.

Grow up. Could you look past the fact that people make simple mistakes every now and then? They are more educated on the topic of marching band and music in general

Hmmm, more educated? You spelled "usually" wrong, and used "there" instead of "their". Maybe you should edumacate yourself some grammar before stereotyping marching band kids.

Notice I was also able to spell the word "usually" correct once, it was obviously a type the second time around...

Interesting question.

Here's a quick exercise... Think about how a band or drum corps show could portray each of the following illnesses and disabilities:

• Blindness
  • Mental Retardation
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Amputation of a limb
  • AIDS

Now, try to imagine a TASTEFUL version of each of these, and also a TASTELESS version. Can you now see how easy it would be to offend someone? Given the description of the schizophrenia show, I have a pretty good idea of where it might fall.

Designers really should consider the reason for portraying an illness or disability. They should also be knowledgeable about their subject. I.e., don't write about something you don't know about. It is obviously subjective whether or not they are being respectful of the condition they are portraying or merely using the condition as a vehicle for their production. Personally, I think it's too fine a line to walk.

The truly sad thing about all of this (which also applies to Drum Corps) is that with all of the great things that being in a high school band does for a kid, this is what the news media reports on. When is the last time you saw prime time news do a truly meaningful report on a drum corps or marching band that was about something good? I am sure that local stations will run a very short blurb if a local group wins, but that is about it. Now, if something bad happens, it will be national news. The two most recent topics have involved a somewhat controversial theme for a band show and a percussion cart left in an endzone that injures a football player during a college football game.

Imagine if ,Lord forbid, there is ever a bad accident involving a tour bus while a corps is doing its summer tour and a fatality of a member or members is involved. No matter what the cause, the media will paint a picture that all drum corps touring is unsafe and should be banned forever.

Not to say that the "band controversy" is on par with what I just described, but I am sure there have been years and years of great educational things done by the Churchill band, yet this is what the news chooses to report.

We live is sad times.

The truly sad thing about all of this (which also applies to Drum Corps) is that with all of the great things that being in a high school band does for a kid, this is what the news media reports on.

But this true for education in general. All we ever hear about in the news is the horror stories about what goes on in schools -- we never hear about the wonderful things happening every day. Shock sells.

The truly sad thing about all of this (which also applies to Drum Corps) is that with all of the great things that being in a high school band does for a kid, this is what the news media reports on. When is the last time you saw prime time news do a truly meaningful report on a drum corps or marching band that was about something good? I am sure that local stations will run a very short blurb if a local group wins, but that is about it. Now, if something bad happens, it will be national news. The two most recent topics have involved a somewhat controversial theme for a band show and a percussion cart left in an endzone that injures a football player during a college football game.

Imagine if ,Lord forbid, there is ever a bad accident involving a tour bus while a corps is doing its summer tour and a fatality of a member or members is involved. No matter what the cause, the media will paint a picture that all drum corps touring is unsafe and should be banned forever.

Not to say that the "band controversy" is on par with what I just described, but I am sure there have been years and years of great educational things done by the Churchill band, yet this is what the news chooses to report.

We live is sad times.

Luckily...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education...and_shines.html

But this true for education in general. All we ever hear about in the news is the horror stories about what goes on in schools -- we never hear about the wonderful things happening every day. Shock sells.

Finally the local Harrisburg paper has been covering the MB Chapter Champs(?) that has been going on for the last 2-3 weekends. After ignoring for decades, we get the times for the local bands and plenty of good sized color pics. And once in a while jeffsnewjetta gets quoted. :rolleyes:

Of course the front page is reserved for "who shot who".....

I dunno...I can see both sides...

This isn't the first time this has happened--I remember a few years ago people talking about a band that had some sort of "crazies in straightjackets" motif in their show. I think it is pretty shallow show design.

Lakota 1998 alter ego 2007? to name a few in wgi to hav the same theme with strghtjacket..never caused this much controversy..both amazing shows