Thoughts about your 1970's DC Days

Best Instructor: Zingali, many were great but George was in a league of his own

Favorite Music: 1975 SCV's Chava Ballet

Besides having the time of my life, meeting some of the best people on God's green earth ( including but not limited to

all with whom I marched, Tansea, OvertheHilllDM, Hydrodrill ( Hi Rick)) , being blessed enough to have great parents and surrounded by the caring and nurturing adults in my corps. learning that hard work does pay, the 1970's were GREAT :thumbdown: ...Ok skip DISCO :music:

1975 was my first year in a DCI level corps and I will still never forget when we won DCI West in Boise, Idaho. I just kept saying to people we can't beat Santa Clara, this has to be a dream. Yes 1975 was a great year :blink: althougth my last year in the corps (1980) wasn't too bad either :thumbup:

Lasting memories:

1975 Nationals

1977 CYO

an improptu party behind the high school in Edmonton, Alberta Canada with SCV.

Virginia Beach

1980 DCI EAST

GREAT TIMES

Thansk to all,

John

Thanks, John! I have to say that the feeling is mutual!!! We had some phenomenal times back then, almost magical, and we didn't have a care in the world, did we? I had a blast with you guys, when I rode on the 04 in 79, and, of course I will never forget Virginia Beach (KAMIKAZE's!), Florida (Disney World...Polynesian Village!), and the rest of the times that we all shared together!

It sounds corny, but our brotherhood is very strong,and always has been right from the start... and like my buddy Rick said in an earlier post, I wouldn't trade my 70's drum corps years for anything!!!

As for BEST instructor...

I can't select just one, but I learned a great deal from three incredibly talented, and passionate people...

Jeff Kievit, Dennis DeLucia, and Larry Kerchner.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets hear about your experiences back then. Favorite instructor and why, favorite piece of music, worst show, best place for a show, best friend, etc

Have fun and smile!

Remember this is about the 1970's

Mine was being at my first regional. DCI East in Allentown. After years of watching Madison and Phantom, I got to see Blue Devils and Bridgemen. What a great show. Didn't make it back to that stadium until 83. Hoping to make it back there for DCA Championships some day.

Mine was being at my first regional. DCI East in Allentown. After years of watching Madison and Phantom, I got to see Blue Devils and Bridgemen. What a great show. Didn't make it back to that stadium until 83. Hoping to make it back there for DCA Championships some day.

I'd never say never but i doubt that D.C.A will be there again anytime soon.

While I was in the Conquistadors, we were taught by SCV people. Bob Kalkofen was my first drum instructor there in 1971. Turns out, in 1978, he was my last drum instructor (snare tech) at BD. Ironic.

Anyway, I remember being into SCV at the time. I'd come home from school and put on records and figure out snare parts. I also had the 71 Combine West album, so I listened to the Cavaliers quite a bit too. However, SCV was the be all end all.

I know this is stupid, but when I joined BD, I wasn't really thinking of being in the same league and competing with SCV. I just wanted to be in a corps that traveled around the country. Pretty silly huh?

I really enjoyed Kingsmen and Muchachos.

As my signature will attest to, my career was kind of a "best of times, worst of times, best of times, worst of times, best of times, worst of times." roller coaster. Being part of the Rockets was a dream come true, and the ONLY corps I wanted to march with. Unfortunately, the '73 season was a low point for the corps in general and we were never able to replicate the success of the previous season. The high point - marching my first comp in Hershey Stadium, WOW! The low point - placing 4th behind the Royalaires, Sentinels, and Lancers. But I do believe that show put a renewed focus on the corps and we closed out fairly strong, (DCA was another story)

'74 - my first year in "junior" corps, was actually pretty good. No expectations helped. '75 - after a decent '74, was an outright disaster.

'76-'77 - best of times - New to the highly competitive DCI scene - I was pretty much just enjoying the ride. That changed in '78-'79 when winning was something we "expected."

'07 - Kingsmen. After 28 year break from marching corps, what a way to return. Definately would go in the "best of times" category. Would love to do it again some time!

Favorite show - Any time I could go to Marion - U.S. Open (74-76, 78-79). Whitewater was also special. Least favorite shows, well, believe it or not, any show on the East Coast (Regiment). To me, we always got screwed over when we went there. Could just be my perception though.

Favorite instructor - Rockets - Riggie Laus. Being taught from scratch by this legend is something I'll never forget.

Edited by Rocketman