Why Won't Anyone Play Mr Bungle?!

Let me ask you are you a professional musician? If you're not then you're opinion is about as important as a three year olds.

Right, because we all know the "professionals" are the ones buying tickets, reserving hotels rooms, buying T-Shirts and making donations to the gas funds.

Oh wait... no they're not. The "professionals" are typically the ######## who demand top dollar to put their name on a 180 bpm piece of scat so that it can be dignified enough to call it "art."

Drum corps was started by soldiers. It was taught to and performed by "neighborhood kids." Depending on the neighborhood, you could read that as "gangs with instruments." But you know what? It was exciting, and passionate, and entertaining.

Nowadays, it has to be "art." So we need overpaid, over privileged degree-holding "professionals" to tell us what's good and what's not. And that's an important job too, because with how sterile the music is and how anemic the performances have been, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell myself. After all, I don't have a degree. What would a stupid stuck-in-the-past hillbilly like me know about the activity I've been performing in for the past 18 years?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole subject of "bungles" 'taint funny at all. :rolleyes:

This is odd, never thought I’d see this group on this board…

Tempted to send a link of this thread on to Mike Patton but then I’d have to explain drum corps. One of his current bands, Tomahawk, has one of the best, most interesting guitar players out there…you’re welcome Duane

I've removed about half of this thread for personal attacks and posting political content. Please keep the thread on-topic and do not attack each other; if this continues we will remove it and further action will be taken.

This is odd, never thought I’d see this group on this board…

Tempted to send a link of this thread on to Mike Patton but then I’d have to explain drum corps. One of his current bands, Tomahawk, has one of the best, most interesting guitar players out there…you’re welcome Duane

Send it on, I say. It would be great if he got involved in this activity, even if it was for a one time project. Tomahawk's whole band is crazy talented. If I could go to a drum corps show and hear 'God Hates a Coward', or 'Captain Midnight', I'd feel like I got more than my money's worth. Especially, if someone could figure out how to play a horn through a gas-mask microphone.

Oh, and a little clarity for the masses. My folks were the high school class of '77. I was in the graduation pictures, though in the form of a very pregnant belly.

Also, on the pro-musician thing. I understand that we have to sell tickets, and that it's difficult to please the designers, performers, and audience all at the same time. Middle ground is something I am not familiar with, at all. Every now and again, there's a special product that gets all parties involved, and that's great. However, there needs to be variety. I love that there are shows that lean towards the performer's enjoyment. I marched in some. I think it's cool when the Bluecoats roll out with Rocky. Obviously, a fan experience, and I appreciated it. Like it or not, designers have to keep their appetites sharp, as well. I know everyone isn't going to get stuff, I'm included in that. I took Sully's advice from the '91 broadcast, I think it was. He said something to the effect of embracing the things that make you uncomfortable cause it's likely that they're the really great moments. Now, I'll never be a proponent of the formally trained individuals being of any higher value than someone as skilled with no training. Some of the best guys in the activity aren't degree holders.

Ultimately, I believe it's our responsibility as humans to refine our tastes with new things, from time to time. If you want to use professional training for that, awesome. If you want to jump online and find some music you've never heard of, great. Just do something besides lull yourself to sleep with the same twenty songs you've listened to your whole life.

My bad, I was all over the place on that one.

uh.. Bungle in drum corps, yeah!

You know, it's always perplexed me. Mr Bungle has everything. It covers just about every style I can think of, and invents a few more. Usually, it covers every style in one tune. The early stuff did, anyway. I guess the fact that you can't use filters on the amplified sound might be a barrier. Well, it won't be one for long, hopefully. I want to hear Bungle done well, and I'm prepared to legalize every possible sound modification excluding pitch correction, and slotting beats. It's time to start doing the tunes that my generation listened to growing up.

selfishly yours,

JBentley

Are you sure you're not talking about the Buggles?

You know, Video Killed The Radio Star?

Or - They Could Be Giants, or Yes or my favorite, The Dave Mathews Band - yeah…that would be rich!

Puppet

Sooo your parents were teens in the 70s, did i get that? Buddy, lotta people on here aged out before you were even an idea. I don't claim to know everything about classic drum corps, which is why I stay out of those threads. You are WAYYY out of your experience league here.

Hi, I'm Jimmy Hoffa. Nice to meet you.

As far as I'm concerned, J Bentley is drum corps royalty, and he certainly knows waaaaaaaaay more about the activity than you do. Not to say you're wrong, just throwing that out there.

Anyway. . . I've always thought Retrovertigo would be good on the field. Pink Cigarette could be cool too - kind of loungish, laid back 12/8 feel that BD could pull off pretty well. Kind of funny, Bentley, that I just posted a comment about Bungle on your facebook and now I'm reading about it here.

Edited by TSRTS13

Sooo your parents were teens in the 70s, did i get that? Buddy, lotta people on here aged out before you were even an idea. I don't claim to know everything about classic drum corps, which is why I stay out of those threads. You are WAYYY out of your experience league here.

Hi, I'm Jimmy Hoffa. Nice to meet you.

haha way over your head.

you don't know who your talkin to buddy.