Jerrrrrrrrrrsey Surf!

I'm excited to see what they can do this year. 2007 and last year IMO was their way of showing the Open Class an the DCI community how "World Class" their organization already was before they actually upgraded. Their shows from the past 2 years were so mature and even artistic in a lot of ways. With a lot of new and old staff, we will see how they fare this year, but a fun show can definitely make it to the top. I would rather see the kids on the field enjoying a show with the audience. BD had a "fun" show this year. Crown had a "fun" show in 2007. Phantom's "Rhapsody in Blue" wasn't the most serious of shows either. Each year design teams risk it all to please the audience, letting the scores take care of themselves. Don't underestimate Surf because they took a few years to establish a corps identity

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's auditioning for Surf this year? I'm expecting big, big things from them this year. They've a tremendous growth since 2006 (last year being the BEST show that they've ever fielded, one that should've won IMO) and the new WC jump should prove to be exciting. If they make finals, they're gonna stir some $@!% up :thumbdown:

Also- what are your opinions/predictions for Jersey's favorite corps?

I've been pretty critical of DCI and some specific corps' results off the field, so I feel that I should say some nice things about Surf and Bob Jacobs. I've had several conversations about DCI and DC with Bob and he's tops in my opinion. He's a for-profit guy with businesses in other areas, so he knows how to run an effective organization. And he has great ideas and vision, plus how he operates Surf is obviously exceptional.

It should be no surprise the on-the-field results that Surf is enjoying due to their off-the-field vision and goals. Teal Sound, Academy and Carolina Crown fall in the same category. I agree with OP...Surf looks good from afar. I hope that they are right in the thick of things. It will be tough to skip over all those great corps gunning for a finals spot, but it will be interesting to see where they fall by July 1st.

The examples that Academy, Surf, Teal, Crown and a few select others provide need to be highlighted and featured to drive more interest in potential auditionees trying out for more than just the top 12.

There...that makes up for all my critique elsewhere, right? :lol:

I definitely wouldn't put Academy with Surf yet. They sort of fell apart after their amazing 2006 season... They're definitely not as sustainable.

Teal is DEFINITELY not anywhere near the organizational level of other corps. Honestly, if they were, they wouldn't have had that huge theft last year. Just throwing that out there. Teal isn't ready for WC on OR off the field IMO

I definitely wouldn't put Academy with Surf yet. They sort of fell apart after their amazing 2006 season... They're definitely not as sustainable.

I wouldn't hardly call 13th place in their first year in Div 1. "falling apart." Surf would be extremely (and I mean extremely) lucky to do that well.

Teal is DEFINITELY not anywhere near the organizational level of other corps. Honestly, if they were, they wouldn't have had that huge theft last year. Just throwing that out there. Teal isn't ready for WC on OR off the field IMO

Since this thread is about Surf and not Teal Sound...... all of us down here in the Southland at Teal wish our good friends and Bobby's team from the North a very successful first season in WC. We know you all will do well and are extremely excited for you!!! However, we will miss going head to head with you guys this season in the OC.

Edited by randyb

Kid.... ya got fahhts in yaaa brain. :thumbup:

Academy built there organization upon long term sustainability.

Competitive placement is not a good measure for the sustainability of a organization. Look at Pioneer. There doing the gig year in after year out. I wouldn't call that organization unsustainable because they don't place well.

As a proud alumnus of the Fabulous Jersey Surf, my biggest worry about them going to World Class is that they don't rehearse enough to hang with the top 12. Between not having a month of spring training and not being on tour all summer, I don't think they'll develop the same overall quality as those groups who live and practice together since mid-May.

That said, I love the corps, and nothing would please me more than seeing them do well this summer. Best of luck Surf!

-Chris

Here are my opinions:

Academy was a DISASTER last year in regards to their competitive show. They are however, an incredibly respectable organization that is still growing. After their PHENOMENAL 2006 season, I think they have a plan set out for a long term DCI career.

I wouldn't consider Teal World Class material at all. Their shows don't have substance, their "professionalism" is lacking, and it doesn't seem like they have a good business plan. Any "professional" corps with integrity wouldn't post on DCP, nor would they let their kids talk so much trash on the forums. Teal does. All due respect randyb, your corps is looking good as it grows, but at shows and housing sites (you stayed at my Alma mater last season and we watched you rehearse that day) your corps does not appear to be well run at all...

Surf is definitely going to be the underdog with less rehearsal time, but that is why they are impressive. A lot of people have always been impressed when they learn that Surf doesn't tour all summer. Time off allows the kids to recuperate and not think about drum corps for a few days. Financially, it's a great way to tour IMO- especially in these economic times. Surf also performs at DCA shows and makes many appearances in venues outside of DCI in the preseason to prepare for the competitive summer. This past year I know they played at the TIA guard finals. Surf is an impressive organization, and I think everyone need to stop talking trash about them until they see them live. After all, DCP has begged and pleaded for more WC corps over the past few years, and now that you have another PHENOMENAL addition, you complain?

The Jersey Surf keeps its operations under wraps and I think that is a great strategy, preventing any pre-season hype or gossip from hurting them in the competitive forum. My prediction is that they are going to impress this year based on the last 2 years of immense growth they have shown. Sure, they might not be competing with Phantom and Cavaliers for a top tier finals spot, but they are going to make the bottom end of the standings WAY more entertaining competitively. How could you not love and hope for success for this fun corps?

The Jersey Surf keeps its operations under wraps and I think that is a great strategy, preventing any pre-season hype or gossip from hurting them in the competitive forum. My prediction is that they are going to impress this year based on the last 2 years of immense growth they have shown. Sure, they might not be competing with Phantom and Cavaliers for a top tier finals spot, but they are going to make the bottom end of the standings WAY more entertaining competitively. How could you not love and hope for success for this fun corps?

So secret that they didn't even make a show announcement last year... :tongue: