Drum Corps in Virginia

MORE INFORMATION TO COME......

BUT THIS IS NOW CONFIRMED......

THE CAPITAL REGIMENT WILL BE SENDING A BUS TO PICK UP INTERESTED STUDENTS TO GO TO THE DEC. 12-14 CAMP IN OHIO....

MORE INFO TO COME..... THE COST WILL BE WAY AFFORDALE AND CHEAPER THAN THE COST OF A BUS, TRAIN, PLANE, OR EVN GAS TO DRIVE TO THE CAMP!!!!!

VERY SMART MOVE THE CORPS.....

THE 1ST PICKUP PLACE WILL BE IN THE HAMPTON ROADS...MORE THAN LIKELY NORFOLK or VIRGINIA BEACH......

ALL INTERESTED STUDENT CONTACT AND R.S.V.P. for THE CAPITAL REGIMENT Camp via the website....."please note you are from VIRGINIA or nearby area"

COLOR GUARD, BRASS, AND PERCUSSION SPOT STILL AVAILABLE....

GOOD LUCK CAPITAL REGIMENT with forward thinking and recruiting the Hampton Roads area.

STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFO......

MORE INFORMATION TO COME......

BUT THIS IS NOW CONFIRMED......

THE CAPITAL REGIMENT WILL BE SENDING A BUS TO PICK UP INTERESTED STUDENTS TO GO TO THE DEC. 12-14 CAMP IN OHIO.... MORE INFO TO COME..... THE COST WILL BE WAY AFFORDALE AND CHEAPER THAN THE COST OF A BUS, TRAIN, PLANE, OR EVN GAS TO DRIVE TO THE CAMP!!!!! VERY SMART MOVE THE CORPS..... THE 1ST PICKUP PLACE WILL BE IN THE HAMPTON ROADS...MORE THAN LIKELY NORFOLK or VIRGINIA BEACH...... ALL INTERESTED STUDENT CONTACT AND R.S.V.P. for THE CAPITAL REGIMENT Camp via the website....."please note you are from VIRGINIA or nearby area"

COLOR GUARD, BRASS, AND PERCUSSION SPOT STILL AVAILABLE.... GOOD LUCK CAPITAL REGIMENT with forward thinking and recruiting the Hampton Roads area. STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFO......

Ok, so I know I'm going to get blasted for this again, but I'm going to say it anyway. Why would a corps who is trying to come back onto the national scene try to do so by busing kids in from 600 miles away, rather than trying to grow a tighter regional base?

I open a store in Columbus, OH, and rather than trying to find customers within a few hours drive, I decide to seek customers from 10 hours away? It just doesn't seem to make sense to my feeble old brain.

Ok, so I know I'm going to get blasted for this again, but I'm going to say it anyway. Why would a corps who is trying to come back onto the national scene try to do so by busing kids in from 600 miles away, rather than trying to grow a tighter regional base?

I open a store in Columbus, OH, and rather than trying to find customers within a few hours drive, I decide to seek customers from 10 hours away? It just doesn't seem to make sense to my feeble old brain.

Well for starters, they're coming back into World Class, which means they would be competing with Bluecoats and Glassmen at the regional scale. They chose their battles well. :smile:

I think bringing people from another region this way is a VERY smart idea that other corps should consider. Like Crown should make a pick-up point in New York City. (please!!!!! :smile: )

Well for starters, they're coming back into World Class, which means they would be competing with Bluecoats and Glassmen at the regional scale. They chose their battles well. :smile:

I think bringing people from another region this way is a VERY smart idea that other corps should consider. Like Crown should make a pick-up point in New York City. (please!!!!! :smile: )

"Not so fast, my young friend".....as Dickie V. would say, chances are they will NOT reenter WC this season. Per DCI; if a corps is inactive 2 or more years, they must return to OC first and be evaluated for a full season before moving back into WC. While we would all like to see Cap. Reg. back in WC, they must prove that they can financially and administratively be a stable organization before being voted on moving up. Plus, with the new governance in DCI I would not look for that to happen any time soon.

Also, I fully agree with Endzone here as they should be trying to build a local base in and around the Columbus area and the rest of Ohio first prior to going out of the state. Makes for difficult fund raising efforts and local support when your program is not in the immediate area. Now, if they wanted to move their base of operations to Virginia, and there are that many kid's in the area that want to march drum corps, then IMO, they should move to VA and restart there.

Remember, this is not one of the top 8 or so corps that already have established organizations that are fairly financially stable and can go into other areas to look for membership. This is a corps whose program, from a financial standpoint, was in the hole and struggling all through 2006 and was out of the picture for 2 years. While they may have been able to rebuild to a certain extent, this program does not have the same history and background the Troopers had when coming back and able to gain members or financial support like they did in 2007. My suggestions, for whatever they are worth, to be successful and provide a program that will be around for a long time, take your time and build a solid program with a strong financial base. Remember Magic? They tried several times, but failed to have the local support and funding that it takes to compete on the WC level.

Whatever comes of the Capital Regiment will be seen in the next couple of years. Good luck to them as they work to regain their status in DCI!

Actually agree with you on this for two reasons:

1) Why would a corps rebuilding from almost scratch take on the expenses of running buses from the Atlantic Ocean (VA Beach) to almost the mid-West (Columbus)? Have been with rebuilding corps twice and talking on the added expense of bus bills makes my head spin. Diesel prices have not dropped as much as gas and the price could always go up again.

2) Read a thread a week ago about a Jr corps starting in Richmond, VA area. Suddenly CR is looking for members in the same area. Timing is bizarre to say the least.

Edit: Just checked MapQuest and interesting. Estimated Time: 9 hours 39 minutes Estimated Distance: 584.60 miles. Anyone know the max amount of time a bus driver is allowed on the road per day?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Actually agree with you on this for two reasons:

1) Why would a corps rebuilding from almost scratch take on the expenses of running buses from the Atlantic Ocean (VA Beach) to almost the mid-West (Columbus)? Have been with rebuilding corps twice and talking on the added expense of bus bills makes my head spin. Diesel prices have not dropped as much as gas and the price could always go up again.

2) Read a thread a week ago about a Jr corps starting in Richmond, VA area. Suddenly CR is looking for members in the same area. Timing is bizarre to say the least.

Edit: Just checked MapQuest and interesting. Estimated Time: 9 hours 39 minutes Estimated Distance: 584.60 miles. Anyone know the max amount of time a bus driver is allowed on the road per day?

Another thing is the fiscal reality of the individual. If the corps is relying upon members to afford a "long distance" relationship with a corps right now - this is not wise. While fuel maybe temporarily lower, it is bound to rise again and all related expenses such as food, vehicle maintenance, personal gear, etc. Not to mention the increased risk assessment of the corps transporting the participants in their own vehicle (liability) as well as the increased risk assessment for any individual transportation of that greater distance. Having said that - I used to drive my daughter from Virginia to Florida for Teal Sound. She transitioned to Jersey Surf for a variety of reasons, but the rising cost of fuel was definitely a significant factor. That is another consideration - how is the corps going to afford the extra fuel to cart these potential members back and forth?

The whole thing is fascinating if nothing else.

There's already a thread on this in the World forum.