So What in Drum Corps Are You Thankful For?

My first show as a fan....performer... instructor ....

The day this crazy man named "Zingali" came to his first Garfield rehearsal.

How about you?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first show as a fan....performer... instructor ....

The day this crazy man named "Zingali" came to his first Garfield rehearsal.

How about you?

-My first DCI Show ever in 2006 that I saw live.

-Going to the quarterfinals last year

-The 1989 SCV Phantom of the Opera show

-Going to my first DCI audition camp last weekend. (Capital Regiment)

Not a specific corps, but rather DCI events I am thankful for.

I am thankful for the Thrills, The tears and the SHEER JOY the kids performances have brought me over these 32 years.

All the rumors, conspiracy theories, and gratuitous George Hopkins references that keep DCP alive in the off season.

I'm thankful that my best friend in college just about kidnapped me to drag me to a Cavaliers rehearsal. I had ZERO desire to be in a drum corps. I joined the first night and ever since that week (it was the week of Thanksgiving) in 1974, drum corps has been a very special element in my life.

I'm thankful for all the performers of all the corps I've enjoyed watching and writing about over the years.

I'm thankful DCI has bestowed upon me the responsibility and privilege of writing a seemingly endless amount of show reports, special PR, program books, liner notes, interviews, etc., etc., etc. I have enjoyed it all and feel more connected to the activity now than ever.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to reconnect with so many Cavalier brothers old and new in the Cavaliers Anniversary Corps. It was a challenge to balance it with what I was doing for DCI, but all parties accommodated me. I experienced so many moments that brought tears to my eyes.

I'm thankful for all the incredible people I've been allowed to meet, know and who have become my cherished friends. Some I only see during the summer. Some I communicate with throughout the year. They remind me that drum corps IS the people.

I'm thankful for all the people who read what I write during the year. Without them, I have no purpose in drum corps.

I'm thankful for DCP. It's a great outlet. Sometimes it makes me think and sometimes it makes me put my head in my hands. But it's always good for entertainment and constantly reminds me of the passion others have for the activity.

I'm thankful I can honestly say I love you all. Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful that my high school band director was a drum corps nut who took a busload of students all the way from Georgia to Whitewater, Wisc., in the summer of 1975 to attend DCI Midwest, and that same summer took a busload to Columbia, S.C., for a Muchachos clinic.

I'm thankful that a couple of years later, that same band director had the guts and foresight to start a drum corps called Spirit of Atlanta, in time for me to have three years of eligibility left.

I'm thankful that that same man, Freddy Martin, hired a musical genius named Jim Ott to work with Spirit's hornline.

I'm thankful to have had two wonderful parents who fully embraced and supported my desire to march drum corps, because I know that a lot of young people aren't fortunate enough to have that kind of support on the home front.

I'm thankful for the many lifelong friends I made in drum corps, not just my fellow Spirit members, but members of other corps, particularly our "sister" corps, the Crossmen.

I'm VERY thankful that at age 43, I met a wonderful lady who, even though she never had the opportunity to march drum corps, has shared my passion and love for the activity for the past seven years.

I'm thankful that, even though the road for my old corps has sometimes been a rocky one, Spirit is still standing and that my stepson is marching his fourth year in the corps, enjoying that unique thrill that comes with marching drum corps.