Corps current identities

"maybe they told them the Colts got too many points for standing still?"

You obviously didn't watch their show. Not many corps incorporated jazz running into their ballad and there is seldom a spot in which they simply stopped and played. They had body work all over the place.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"maybe they told them the Colts got too many points for standing still?"

You obviously didn't watch their show. Not many corps incorporated jazz running into their ballad and there is seldom a spot in which they simply stopped and played. They had body work all over the place.

As did every other drum corps.

We all hear from our staff "you're doing stuff no one else is" and "You aren't getting credit for the demand in your show." They are there to teach but they are also there to cheer them on a bit when things aren't going as they'd like.

The Cavaliers are more funny than arrogant. I guess it is a kind of arrogant. They joke around because they know they can do that.

I think the Cavaliers are a little more clever in their approach.

The Blue Devils are the guys at a sporting event that hold up the "(insert opposing team's name) suck!" signs

The Cavaliers are the guys that trick the other team's fans into holding up the "we suck" signs.

...there is seldom a spot in which they simply stopped and played. They had body work all over the place.

If you call parking and blowing and looking like a total fool for a rather long period of time body movement, then you're right. I'm sorry but when I saw their park and wail section and watched individual members making complete fools out of themselves, I almost face-palmed. I think every corps needs to have their members take a class on how to park and blow. When your horn looks more like a windshield wiper than a musical instrument, you're doing it wrong.

Just saying, some corps do it right. And some corps do it very, very wrong.

Personally I don't think any of the corps has a Identity any longer.

If anyone does its Phantom,,you can always count on them to come out with a dark horn line.So I would give them the horn line identity.

Cavies are one of those corps that still make you get off your arse and applaud at impact points so I would have to give them the GE Identity.

Bluecoats have always been the underdog so I would have to give them the under dog identity.

Now if they had a identity for dumb,wierd,stupid,silly,hold your ears and go get a hot dog identity,,I can think of a few corps that could fill that role. :tongue:

I think the Cavaliers are a little more clever in their approach.

The Blue Devils are the guys at a sporting event that hold up the "(insert opposing team's name) suck!" signs

The Cavaliers are the guys that trick the other team's fans into holding up the "we suck" signs.

That's an excellent analogy.

If you call parking and blowing and looking like a total fool for a rather long period of time body movement, then you're right. I'm sorry but when I saw their park and wail section and watched individual members making complete fools out of themselves, I almost face-palmed. I think every corps needs to have their members take a class on how to park and blow. When your horn looks more like a windshield wiper than a musical instrument, you're doing it wrong.

Just saying, some corps do it right. And some corps do it very, very wrong.

Crossmen did it very well this summer. In fact, it got a little too out of hand halfway through the season and it was taken out and they were told to stand still. it was put back in by the last couple of weeks, and it was very reserved, but still effective, and classy.

Anyway what comes to my mind when I think about a corps?

Phantom- class and classical, and brass.. i love their sound

BD- Arrogant, have the right to be, most of the time.

Cavies- Drill, and having fun

Cadets- looking good, precision, speed

Crown- loud

Madison- some members are way to cocky for their recent placements, but a lot of tradition

Crossmen- BAD*** ever see them in the lot? it's impressive. They have lost their identity on the field though. They tried bringing back groove in 08, but it failed.

Troop- America

Pioneer- irish, and alcohol (just cause i'm irish, and like to drink)

Blue Stars- new and old

SCV- tradition, tradition, percussion

BK- missing GE

Boston- tradition, sloppy horns

Glassmen- they're still in finals?

Spirit- blue? loud?

Colts- they are there

I know i'm missing a few, this was just a list i brainstormed in 5 min

Some of this may be insulting, but its the first thing off my mind, don't take anything personally, if you do, sorry, not meant that way.

My opinions that haven't already been stated by someone else:

Blue Stars: Not Blue Stars anymore. They're a completely different corps. There are members in the corps that don't know the 6-pointed star was their old logo. Nothing about them says Blue Stars to me except the statement: "On the field from La Crosse, Wisconsin, the Blue Stars"

Blue Knights: Boring music, boring drill. What the heck was their show about? Not a fan.

Boston: The past few years have provided shows that fail to keep me awake. Yes, I have fallen asleep at a drum corps show. In a dome.

Glassmen: Uh, what? Why are they still in finals?

Madison: Like SCV, all about tradition and history. Those guys are really proud of where they came from.

Crossmen: A little over-rated. Not sure how they spent so much time in 12th place with that show.

:tongue: