Corps current identities

Let us imagine the Troopers coming out in anything but their traditional uniform and playing Phantom of the Opera. That would be a travesty. They have spent decades branding (no pun intended) us with a certain genre and style and honestly, that's one of their strengths.

I for one WANT their to be distinctions between corps.

I think we're muddying the waters here by including "uniforms" and "style" with "music selection." Not many corps limit themselves to one ethnic or country genre (as in the case of Pioneer's primarily Irish themes.)

'

Edited by dieselfume

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "tradition and history" you mean they do the same show every year.

So what you're getting at is by doing a Latin-based show every year, they're doing the same show every year? That makes about as much sense as saying Phantom does the same show every year cause they play classical. Or every BD show from the 90's is the same show because they're all jazz-based.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Troopers management wants to change uniforms and musical style. From the October 5, 2008 board meeting minutes:

Bylaws – Proposed Additions/Changes: John passed out two proposals relating to changes in the bylaws of the organization. They both have to do with the image of the Corps – uniform, music and bearing. No discussion was held and John will email the board members with a more refined proposal to be discussed in detail at the next meeting.

That is pretty non descriptive. Did it say anywhere what those proposed changes would be?

I wonder what would happen if at the beginning of the year you put the EXACT same uniforms on every corps. Could you identify who was who by their show?

Maybe you couldnt tell by their show or music.....except for pioneer...

but if this were to happen, some corps can be put apart from others such as the Cavaliers having their marching style and drill, Cadets have their horn move and more recently talking, PR has that funky bouncy jazz run (or at least they did in 08). SCV I believe is known for horn snaps....

There are also hidden secrets in a corps' identity that only members or staff know.....such as.. Some corps will do whatever it takes to win. Some corps kick the members rears to get them in shape. Some are known for not practicing hard, and just being good. Some are classy. Some are based on being a family and building relationships. Some are all about training individuals into better musicians...........ETC..

Just things like that also establish an identity, not just their show style.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Troopers management wants to change uniforms and musical style. From the October 5, 2008 board meeting minutes:

I am not associated with Troopers. The minutes can be found on the website. I find it interesting that Troopers is trying to change identities at a time when several corps are trying to establish a more concrete identity.

I am highly doubtful that there will be a complete move away from certain aspects of the "Trooper" identity. And I'm fairly certain that I'm not alone in the drum corps fan world - and the Trooper fan world - in thinking that the Troopers identity would benefit from some modernization.

To be clear: I do not represent the organization in any way other than as an involved alum and fan. But I am in no way fearful that the Trooper identity is going to be compromised. I trust Fred Morris, Mike Ottoes and the board to do what it takes to keep the corps afloat as well as improve its competitive standing while preserving the essence of the corps.

To claim that Colts are mid-tier and nothing more is ridiculous. The kids who march with Colts reflect where they come from. They are great kids who year after year put out an exciting audience accessible show that, in my opinion, generally score way lower than where they should. They have fought so hard to gain judges respect, but they don't seem to listen. Does anyone watch and listen to their shows? Their emotional and exciting and they literally run their ##### off while doing it. During the Bernstein bit this year in the Colts show they were running and playing one of the shows biggest impacts. Others corps did similar drill moves while turned to the sidelines and not playing and were rewarded more for it. That's what the Colts are about. Producing an exciting a show that gains fans not points or respect by the judges.

How were they "over-rated" when its what the judges see and think in comparison with other corps performance, sometimes back-to-back?

for what it's worth, I thought Crown had no business being in 4th, but that's where the judges put them. Just because the judges put a corps in a certain placement, doesn't mean other people won't disagree... that's all.

To claim that Colts are mid-tier and nothing more is ridiculous. The kids who march with Colts reflect where they come from. They are great kids who year after year put out an exciting audience accessible show that, in my opinion, generally score way lower than where they should. They have fought so hard to gain judges respect, but they don't seem to listen. Does anyone watch and listen to their shows? Their emotional and exciting and they literally run their ##### off while doing it. During the Bernstein bit this year in the Colts show they were running and playing one of the shows biggest impacts. Others corps did similar drill moves while turned to the sidelines and not playing and were rewarded more for it. That's what the Colts are about. Producing an exciting a show that gains fans not points or respect by the judges.

Colts average placement since 1990 is 14.15. Sounds decidedly mid-tier to me. Not knocking the kids efforts, but you can't dany placement. And yes, I've seen the Colts. Enjoyable. Nothing to write home about.

for what it's worth, I thought Crown had no business being in 4th, but that's where the judges put them. Just because the judges put a corps in a certain placement, doesn't mean other people won't disagree... that's all.

Agreed.

There are also hidden secrets in a corps' identity that only members or staff know.....such as.. Some corps will do whatever it takes to win. Some corps kick the members rears to get them in shape. Some are known for not practicing hard, and just being good. Some are classy. Some are based on being a family and building relationships. Some are all about training individuals into better musicians...........ETC..

Just things like that also establish an identity, not just their show style.

:whip: I agree. A corps identity is what they are at all times, how they carry themselves, how they rehearse, what they do, their traditions and history, the little things both on and off the field. A corps show style is all about what is put out on the field. Identity is more than that, it is everything about the corps.