Corps current identities

i've never seen a topic starter get so offended by people not going off topic....

the entire time people were talking about BD's identity.. it is what happens on forums... some things pop out and tend to be discussed in more detail....

i wasnt that offended, it just got ridiculous. some people were obviously saying things to be mean and hurtful while some were delivering valid points. i didnt start the thread so people could just ream on a specific corps and it was quickly turning to that thread about violence in phantoms show that went sooooooo far off topic that people were questioning other peoples parenting. i didnt want that happening

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I have created a separate topic for the discussion of the Blue Devils' reaction to the 2008 Championships. Since there are two distinct topics at hand, they deserve two distinct threads. Feel free to continue the discussion the discussion of the Blue Devils in this thread, and reserve the current thread for discussion of corps' identities.

i wasnt that offended, it just got ridiculous. some people were obviously saying things to be mean and hurtful while some were delivering valid points. i didnt start the thread so people could just ream on a specific corps and it was quickly turning to that thread about violence in phantoms show that went sooooooo far off topic that people were questioning other peoples parenting. i didnt want that happening

i must of missed that part... i tend to miss pages.... now that i have read over again, i realized there was apart where people were straying far away.

sooo, identities...

i'd like to see more of them

win

im still curious to what people think about my original 3

I'm not sure if i mentioned them in my original... but i have formed better opinions..

Crown- i feel like they are good cheese... like they always have that cheese factor... but its good cheese... like a good sharp cheddar cheese for something... also i think great horns, sloppy feet... so sloppy like cheese can be too!

Colts- I think happy... its a great organization, it seems like they have a good time there. But i still feel like they are trying to develop an identity, that they lost.

Blue Stars- Old and new... think i said this before.... they are old... but yet they seem new to me. I think they are still developing an identity.

Class is something that does come to mind with all three.

Crown is a more laid back class, but still classy

and the other two are just plain classy.

With some of my comments on that other thread... I think class should be a part of every corps identity.

I think class should be a part of every corps identity.

Not asking you to identify any corps...just a general yes or no answer...are you saying that there are corps out there that you don't think are that classy? Don't need to name names or anything, just yes or no...

Not asking you to identify any corps...just a general yes or no answer...are you saying that there are corps out there that you don't think are that classy? Don't need to name names or anything, just yes or no...

i won't mention names... so we don't head off topic,

you see... while on tour I see a lot, that sways my opinions, and i'm sure people see stuff about my corps

i think every corps shows class, some better than others,

i do believe some corps need to work on their class a lot

so to answer your question, it would have to be a yes

i think my post might've gotten put in the other thread, as it was kind of about both, so I will post again (too lazy to look, so it might be slightly different):

I think a lot (all?) corps have their identities in the lot.

Some still have their identities on the field, IMO, including (but not limited to):

Cadets, Cavaliers, Phantom

Some have their identities in the lot, but have lost them recently (5 or less years) on the field, and IMO, these include (but not limited to):

Blue Devils, Crossmen, Madison, Bluecoats, Spirit

Edited by soccerguy315

My thoughts on identities, on and off the field [i mean retreat]... (note that this doesn't represent what the corps think, just how I perceive them) [also, a lot of these are going to sound like I'm describing people... in my mind, that's how I do it. imagine a little tiny version of a marching member, with deformed characteristics.]

Phantom Regiment: Intensely musical and artistic, obvious classical music specialization with a penchant for storytelling of both epic tragedies (Spartacus, Faust) and more flippant-esque portraits (Rhapsody, On Air). "Art for art's sake" mentality; general apathy toward results.

Blue Devils: Proud, loud, boisterous, arrogant (in the way that everyone loves BD for (don't hurt me)). A legacy of intense jazz style and dynamic shows which over the last two ways has kind of given way to a more general style (a kind of loss of an identity, IMO). Off the field, also proud and arrogant, as everyone's well aware and I don't want to dwell on it.

Cavaliers: Perfectionists on the field. Careful, mathematical, even a bit geeky at times, but it's a geek who still has a powerful sense of style, and who can create amazing things through a lot of careful work. Musically known for their original, but various shows. A visual powerhouse. Off the field, flippant, easygoing, playful.

Carolina Crown: [my opinion gets in the way] Cheesy, but excellent. Another classical music identity. I personally have a hard time taking them seriously, but they try [sometimes] to amuse and create at the same time; a great comedian, perhaps. Off the field, I have no idea. Edit: I agree with whoever said sharp cheddar. Very rich cheese.

[Holy Name] Cadets: They just got off on the wrong foot.

HAH! BAM!

... anyway, definitely controversial, and a penchant for telling very quirky, abstract and novel stories. Unlike Phantom, they care where they place, they're just a little obstinate to criticism (which can be a good thing). Shows tend to be a little lopsided with all of the awesome packed into half the show. But the awesome sure is impressive, and their drill is, of course, breakneck. No other word for it. Off the field, very professional, even if others aren't toward them.

Bluecoats: Coming into their own identity now, I think: the ability to take serendipitous show concepts and mold them into incredible storytelling experiences through use of combining many innovative ideas. Common use of not-classical music which is also not jazz and not Latin. Incredible percussion program.

Santa Clara: I can't comment on their off-field presence. But musically, I think they've moved from a "theatre" identity to a bit of a minimalistic identity. Even ! was minimalist in a lot of ways, and (total opinion) I think it's a much more interesting look. Even if they got 7th.

Blue Stars: As of last year, heading in a direction of musical and general innovation, though I don't think they've done anything that could definitely be called innovative yet, they're coming close. Coming up on the finish line, if you will. They have absorbed a little bit of the Star spirit and are fervently obsessed with making themselves better and better.

Blue Knights: Unfortunately, I don't think I'm learned enough to even make a bold guess as to their identity. I do agree with the dark, weird music... but they sure do have glorious resolutions. Edit: I agree with whoever said their shows tend to go over the audience's head a little bit. I like that.

Boston Crusaders: I also can't say for sure.

Glassmen: (recently, at least) Quirky, semi-fantastic shows. Can't say much more.

Madison Scouts: I don't know where this waning sense of identity comes from besides the years before 07. But I loved that show more than most people do. Anyway, with 08 and their plan for 09, they are certainly headed back toward their traditional identity: Crowd-pleasing, fast Latin music. Apathetic toward scores.

That was way more than I intended to write. It's way too late. Oh no. D:

Edited by Stryfe