Freezing valves

Silver_King

This problem was with brass horns that had the older nitrocellulose lacquer, which has a very low melting point. Even hot water can ruin that finish.

Plated instruments cannot be damaged by moderate heat. Neither can most brass instruments built in the last few decades, which have a baked-on epoxy lacquer.

Some pro-level brasses still are finished with nitrocellulose.

Handwarmers will significantly raise the pitch of an instrument. Much more on the smaller ones.

Did not know that. Awesomeness.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it seems I must come to the rescue with the only solution that make sense with valves that get frozen down.

Get the hornline together. Tell some of the players not to touch the valves and only play the open notes; have some push just the first valve down and only play the first valve notes; some only push the second valve and play second valve notes; have a bunch more hold down the one and two valves and play those tones; probably only need a few to push one and three and play only those notes; a few to play just one, two three cominations and maybe a bit more on the two, three combination to just play those.

Problem solved.

If this is too complicated, then just give everyone a B.E.R.P. and have them do the parade on those. (just knock the icicles off once in awhile)

This problem was with brass horns that had the older nitrocellulose lacquer, which has a very low melting point. Even hot water can ruin that finish.

Plated instruments cannot be damaged by moderate heat. Neither can most brass instruments built in the last few decades, which have a baked-on epoxy lacquer.

Some pro-level brasses still are finished with nitrocellulose.

Handwarmers will significantly raise the pitch of an instrument. Much more on the smaller ones.

To HornsUp,

Other than 4 months of trying to learn baritone, I confess I know little of brass instruments however I’m intrigued by this thread. Much of my 70’s drum corps experiences included parades and outdoor performances in northern climes. I’ll provide some background prior to asking a question of you.

As if frozen in time, I vividly recall our halftime show at the November 77 CFL Western Finals but admit to some research the other day. I was surprised at the prevalence of historical information with respect to weather and sports. Yet, there’s very little history about half time shows back in the day.

We arrived at the old, exposed stadium in buses. The new stadium, with heated alcoves, was under construction, to be completed by 78. As with all our local events, the all girls drum corps were well prepared with toques, sweaters, extra socks, gloves/mittens and flesh toned leotards. 3 days prior to the event the temperature was a balmy -7 C (20 degrees F). Little did we know the temp would drop to a low of -27 C (-16 F) the day of the game.

As customary, the staff proceeded to check the facilities. We stood at attention while the first drum corps played a few bars of the National Anthem. Then there was silence. Their horns froze. Yikes. We’re supposed to perform 3 musical selections at half time.

Pam and I were also drum majors and felt a chill of panic as we returned to the buses. The other staff members proceeded to solicit for alcohol for the valves. After all, it was a football game but I’m rather curious of the responses when requesting alcohol for 50 all female, all underage buglers. Rest assured, many of the fans knew of our drum corps and likely understood the circumstances.

Minutes before the show, the girls got off the bus, put alcohol on the valves, blew into the horns, applied petroleum jelly to the moving parts and their chops. There were flailing drum sticks, hopping guard, constant motion, a rather improvised warm up. We were ready for the show and hyped. The opening selection included field drill and may have been the fastest tempo we ever performed. Pam and I were a little overzealous when conducting and if I recall it was comical watching mitten clad snare drummers play. One by one the horns froze except for the half dozen remaining baritone sounds.

We did it, we almost played an entire song in sub-zero temps but we had 2 more to go. Pam and I huddled. Then, in a clear voice, she bellowed “Sing it Ladies…1 2 3 4”. The drums played while we sang loudly while marching or a semblance thereof. We exited the field via the race track during the 3rd selection in which all but the bass drummers were singing and then ran to the buses.

Our football team won that day but later lost at finals in Montreal, the game that was dubbed the “Ice Bowl” of 1977. Good that we didn’t have to do our field show there. According to Wikipedia, there was also an “Ice Bowl” of 1967.

The girls always took care of their drum corps instruments. In case we start an alumni corps or something, my question to you is this: good golly, would the brass instruments have any long term issues based on our actions during this extraordinary event? Thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Let me know if you require the model number of the 30 year old instruments as listed in an April 1977 product guide.

Respectfully, linda of the north.

PS. I fared well during this event with the exception of ‘freezer burn’ on my face. Our chin straps were made of metal. Oh well, minor detail. :thumbdown:

OK, it seems I must come to the rescue with the only solution that make sense with valves that get frozen down.

Get the hornline together. Tell some of the players not to touch the valves and only play the open notes; have some push just the first valve down and only play the first valve notes; some only push the second valve and play second valve notes; have a bunch more hold down the one and two valves and play those tones; probably only need a few to push one and three and play only those notes; a few to play just one, two three cominations and maybe a bit more on the two, three combination to just play those.

Problem solved.

If this is too complicated, then just give everyone a B.E.R.P. and have them do the parade on those. (just knock the icicles off once in awhile)

B.E.R.P.

…excuse me…and it’s environmental…i’m learning something new every day…thanks eh…i’m stepping away from the keyboard now…i digressed :)

To HornsUp,

Other than 4 months of trying to learn baritone, I confess I know little of brass instruments however I’m intrigued by this thread. Much of my 70’s drum corps experiences included parades and outdoor performances in northern climes. I’ll provide some background prior to asking a question of you.

As if frozen in time, I vividly recall our halftime show at the November 77 CFL Western Finals but admit to some research the other day. I was surprised at the prevalence of historical information with respect to weather and sports. Yet, there’s very little history about half time shows back in the day.

We arrived at the old, exposed stadium in buses. The new stadium, with heated alcoves, was under construction, to be completed by 78. As with all our local events, the all girls drum corps were well prepared with toques, sweaters, extra socks, gloves/mittens and flesh toned leotards. 3 days prior to the event the temperature was a balmy -7 C (20 degrees F). Little did we know the temp would drop to a low of -27 C (-16 F) the day of the game.

As customary, the staff proceeded to check the facilities. We stood at attention while the first drum corps played a few bars of the National Anthem. Then there was silence. Their horns froze. Yikes. We’re supposed to perform 3 musical selections at half time.

Pam and I were also drum majors and felt a chill of panic as we returned to the buses. The other staff members proceeded to solicit for alcohol for the valves. After all, it was a football game but I’m rather curious of the responses when requesting alcohol for 50 all female, all underage buglers. Rest assured, many of the fans knew of our drum corps and likely understood the circumstances.

Minutes before the show, the girls got off the bus, put alcohol on the valves, blew into the horns, applied petroleum jelly to the moving parts and their chops. There were flailing drum sticks, hopping guard, constant motion, a rather improvised warm up. We were ready for the show and hyped. The opening selection included field drill and may have been the fastest tempo we ever performed. Pam and I were a little overzealous when conducting and if I recall it was comical watching mitten clad snare drummers play. One by one the horns froze except for the half dozen remaining baritone sounds.

We did it, we almost played an entire song in sub-zero temps but we had 2 more to go. Pam and I huddled. Then, in a clear voice, she bellowed “Sing it Ladies…1 2 3 4”. The drums played while we sang loudly while marching or a semblance thereof. We exited the field via the race track during the 3rd selection in which all but the bass drummers were singing and then ran to the buses.

Our football team won that day but later lost at finals in Montreal, the game that was dubbed the “Ice Bowl” of 1977. Good that we didn’t have to do our field show there. According to Wikipedia, there was also an “Ice Bowl” of 1967.

The girls always took care of their drum corps instruments. In case we start an alumni corps or something, my question to you is this: good golly, would the brass instruments have any long term issues based on our actions during this extraordinary event? Thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Let me know if you require the model number of the 30 year old instruments as listed in an April 1977 product guide.

Respectfully, linda of the north.

PS. I fared well during this event with the exception of ‘freezer burn’ on my face. Our chin straps were made of metal. Oh well, minor detail. :thumbdown:

Great story!!

Some people pay big bucks to have their instruments frozen!

(much colder than that, though. supposedly aligns the molecules in the metal for better response or some voodoo like that)

Great story!!

Some people pay big bucks to have their instruments frozen!

(much colder than that, though. supposedly aligns the molecules in the metal for better response or some voodoo like that)

Hey, thanks. :thumbdown:

I sent the story to Pam in California. She remembers most of it and replied, 'The only thing I could add would be the drum heads breaking too from the cold!'. That's why the drummers ended up singing with the rest of us.

The girls always took care of their drum corps instruments. In case we start an alumni corps or something, my question to you is this: good golly, would the brass instruments have any long term issues based on our actions during this extraordinary event?

The quick answer is no.

Brass instruments are quite durable, and generally easily restorable. [i just bought a 101 year old tuba yesterday, and plan to play it next week at TubaChristmas.]

Over the entire 90 year history of adult drum corps, there is not a single documented case of a bugle that has required alcohol rehab. In this regard, the instruments have fared better than some of their players.

On December 26, 1965 the Kilties performed the halftime exhibition at the NFL playoff game in Green Bay.

It wasn't the bugles that the guys were concerned about freezing.