Freezing valves

Silver_King

Anyone know how to stop valves from freezing when its under 32 degrees? I have a parade tomorrow and we practiced today and everyones valves froze down or up or in the middle.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

play harder music

your fingers will move faster and thus generate heat

:whip:

Mods? Where are the mods? Mods, do your job and move this inappropriate thread to the Brass Forums at once!

Or if this guy is an old guy, I suppose we could move it to the DCA Forum, or even the Historical Forum if he is using a an old two-valve bugle. :whip:

Of course, if the OP is in a World Class corps, I guess you could leave the thread here. :whip:

I'd just wouldn't know what to do if the mods didn't over-react as usual and leave a topic of GENERAL INTEREST in the World Class forums. :whip::whip:

Mods? Where are the mods? Mods, do your job and move this inappropriate thread to the Brass Forums at once!

Or if this guy is an old guy, I suppose we could move it to the DCA Forum, or even the Historical Forum if he is using a an old two-valve bugle. :whip:

Of course, if the OP is in a World Class corps, I guess you could leave the thread here. :whip:

I'd just wouldn't know what to do if the mods didn't over-react as usual and leave a topic of GENERAL INTEREST in the World Class forums. :whip::whip:

Love the Flugel :whip:

Love the Flugel :whip:

Yup, yup, yup, flugels are good.

30 years ago, -20 Celsius, football halftime, rubbing alcohol in the valves, wear gloves, mouthpiece in your socks until you're ready, play until the mouthpiece gets stuck to your lips :)

Anyone know how to stop valves from freezing when its under 32 degrees?

Play a drum. :whip:

when i emptied the spit there were some chuncks of ice coming out. what was funny was the trombone slides were frozen in. anyone have anything besides alcohol?

I don't know anything about horns, but something like WD40 would repel water and maybe delay freezing...not sure if it would damage seals / corks, or if you'd get sick from smelling it.