Freezing valves

Silver_King

You know those pocket sized hand warmers? They are sold in camping supply sections. Powdered chemicals in a soft pouch. Just large enough to rubber band to your valve casing. They're quite hot, but if it's as cold as you say then the tunning isn't affected much. Warms the valves and your hands.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, those hand warmers might be your best bet.

WD-40 won't be the best idea. Although it does repel water, it isn't exactly the most viscous fluid out there. It tends to gum up and collect random debris and form a sticky film if it isn't properly washed out. It can also eat through and plastics, or plastic based materials such as valve pearls and guides They might do something strange to the felts and corks too...

Love the Flugel :whip:

Thank you sir!

In your honor:

kingflugalflash.JPG

kingmelloLH.jpg

+++

I thought that hand warmer idea was a good one. At least one person on here had a good suggestion that might actually work! :whip:

Edited by wvu80

Oil your valves up before going into such weather. Oil will push out the moisture and doesn't freeze at those temperatures. Of course, moisture will still come from your breath, but if you oil your valves before each use (as you should) it will help your valves resist freezing. My favorite brand: http://www.bellssuperlube.com

People always suggest kerosene, alcohol, different oils, etc., but it isn't the oil that freezes it's the moisture from your breath and condensation that freezes and it eventually gets to your valves.

The hand warmer idea works, as long as it lasts long enough.

I've marched in those temps. Doesn't sound like fun, but it can be with the right attitude...and warm valves.

Mods? Where are the mods? Mods, do your job and move this inappropriate thread to the Brass Forums at once!

Or if this guy is an old guy, I suppose we could move it to the DCA Forum, or even the Historical Forum if he is using a an old two-valve bugle. :rock:

Of course, if the OP is in a World Class corps, I guess you could leave the thread here. :smile:

Apparently, either the mods didn't read all the way to the bottom of my post, or they just don't get good sarcasm when they see it. :doh:

I'd just wouldn't know what to do if the mods didn't over-react as usual and leave a topic of GENERAL INTEREST in the World Class forums. :tongue::devil:

I just don't know what to do. :help:

Edited by wvu80

something like WD40 would repel water and maybe delay freezing...not sure if it would damage seals / corks, or if you'd get sick from smelling it.

DP NOT mix in anything toxic. And especially automotive antifreeze, which is VERY poisonous.

Whether you realize it or not, you are often rebreathing some of the air in the horn.

Get a 1920's drumcorps manual and learn some straight bugle marches.

Or do like the Macy's parade acts. Play a recording, and pantomime.

Well, it's a brass-specific topic, therefore it goes in the Brass forum.

I just had to write something when I saw this...

Freezing valves? I think we were so desperate we used antifreeze (thought probably wasn't the best thing to use but we all lived if anyone sucked any in from their horn..LOL) I will never forget the time my high school band played at the Browns/Jets game in Cleveland, Dec. 7, 78 I believe. It was at least 15 degrees out with a wind chill of WAY below 0. We stood in the end zone waiting for Rocco Scotti to join us in playing the National Anthem. Everyone blowing air thru their horns. Horns up..start playing and half of the band couldn't play a thing.

Half time was even better...bass drum used to start us out for each number and all you could hear was...Boom, Boom, Crack...and we were skating all over that field.

Fun times!!

Edited by JeffP