Freezing valves

Silver_King

Ok guys....take it from the guy who's been teaching marching band in Maine for 30 years......use MOUTHWASH!!!!!!! It is non-toxic, keeps the horns from freezing, and tastes great.......... :tongue:

It is a tried and true method for us. The kids prefer the store brand mint over the Listerine type, btw!!!!!

Edited by craiga

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am not a brass player, I taught a band that did many Canadian Winter/Christmas parades and the hand warmer is a good idea and usually works well but you will need to put it in a sock or wrap a piece of fabric around the warmer. Some brand(s), sorry I do not remember which one(s), will actually tarnish/damage the finish to some horns. I do not know why exactly, out of using this method for several years and countless parades and musicians, there were two instances where the horns were permenantly damaged. I do not know if the packages ripped or leaked etc....all I know is a very angry parent in January after a severe repair bill because the director "told the members to use the warmers". It works well just be sure to keep the pacakage away from direct contact, i guess. Better to be safe then sorry. Oh and if you can try to put it on a few mins before going outside (like on the bus). It tends to work better then trying to warm the metal from being cold.

Well, it's a brass-specific topic, therefore it goes in the Brass forum.

Sure Dave, can't argue with that. But here's my point (this time without the sarcasm) :tongue: :

It's December. It's cold. And it's not like there were three corps shows last night we can all talk about. The OP asked a GENERAL question that most people here have an opinion on, even us dumb drummers. There were some funny answers, and frankly there were some very good answers.

Not that many people read the brass forum as opposed to the World Class forum. Even though the concept of how to post general interest topics are not very well thought out on DCP, this is the de facto general interest forum, because that's where most of us post.

It's not like someone wanted to know brass nerd specific questions about the serial number of a 1940's Leedy micro-bass bugle with upside down valves. The freezing valves subject was of interest to many who would never have seen that topic on the Brass Forum. My son isn't in drum corps, he's in concert band and they are doing an outside lighting ceremony and I didn't know what to tell him about the freezing valve problems. I'm glad the guy posted the topic he did, where he did.

So here's my suggestion, for your consideration. If it is a General Interest topic, why not leave it for a few days if you see people HAVING FUN with it, especially in this drum corps off-season? Then later transfer it to the specialty interest forum if you want.

We're all just trying to have a discussion and a little fun without an eye being put out.

Edited by wvu80

Sure Dave, can't argue with that. But here's my point (this time without the sarcasm) :tongue: :

It's December. It's cold. And it's not like there were three corps shows last night we can all talk about. The OP asked a GENERAL question that most people here have an opinion on, even us dumb drummers. There were some funny answers, and frankly there were some very good answers.

Not that many people read the brass forum as opposed to the World Class forum. Even though the concept of how to post general interest topics are not very well thought out on DCP, this is the de facto general interest forum, because that's where most of us post.

It's not like someone wanted to know brass nerd specific questions about the serial number of a 1940's Leedy micro-bass bugle with upside down valves. The freezing valves subject was of interest to many who would never have seen that topic on the Brass Forum. My son isn't in drum corps, he's in concert band and they are doing an outside lighting ceremony and I didn't know what to tell him about the freezing valve problems. I'm glad the guy posted the topic he did, where he did.

So here's my suggestion, for your consideration. If it is a General Interest topic, why not leave it for a few days if you see people HAVING FUN with it, especially in this drum corps off-season? Then later transfer it to the specialty interest forum if you want.

We're all just trying to have a discussion and a little fun without an eye being put out.

"Mr. Gambini, that is a lucid, well-thought out objection. OVERRULED!!"

($1> Judge Chamberlain Haller in "My Cousin Vinny)

the hand warmer is a good idea and usually works well but you will need to put it in a sock or wrap a piece of fabric around the warmer. Some brand(s), sorry I do not remember which one(s), will actually tarnish/damage the finish to some horns. I do not know why exactly, out of using this method for several years and countless parades and musicians, there were two instances where the horns were permenantly damaged.

This problem was with brass horns that had the older nitrocellulose lacquer, which has a very low melting point. Even hot water can ruin that finish.

Plated instruments cannot be damaged by moderate heat. Neither can most brass instruments built in the last few decades, which have a baked-on epoxy lacquer.

Some pro-level brasses still are finished with nitrocellulose.

Handwarmers will significantly raise the pitch of an instrument. Much more on the smaller ones.

Because it's a brass-specific topic. Therefore, it goes in the brass forum. It's not the "obscure ancient brass topics forum," it's the brass forum. A million sarcastic comments unrelated to the topic at hand don't do much to forward the discussion. That's all there is to say about it; if you really take issue with this, please take it up with me via PM.

Why don't you just use vodka? If you're still in high school just put some in one of those little water bottles, then dispose of the evidence afterwards:-P It will keep your valves nice and smooth and will warm you up......and if neither of those work, you wont care anyway.

I have actually heard very good things about the use of vodka as a cold-weather lubricant. Depending on the particular coldness, you can use a half-n-half vodka-oil mix or just liquor up your horns. As far as it causing damage to the inside of the valves, not much can live in vodka, and it doesn't oxidize metal, so it is safe on that front, too. I might be inclined to try a less flavored liquor, like Everclear, which is pretty much just straight Grain Alcohol, but whatever you can put in a spray bottle and would not rue "disposing of" afterwords, I would imagine.

I'm not entirely sure if it will do anything to the lacquer, which hot-packs can damage, as well as the fact that a hot pack on the valve means uneven heating on the instrument, which means potential warping. I would not recommend that method if you care much about your horns in the long term. Probably not immediate damage, but it could mess stuff up eventually. Using alcohol in it should be better,

I have actually heard very good things about the use of vodka as a cold-weather lubricant. Depending on the particular coldness, you can use a half-n-half vodka-oil mix or just liquor up your horns.

Senior corps have been using this technique for years.

Apparently, they use it as a warm-weather lubricant as well.