WHY DCA is in Rochester, N.Y.

Why can't Championships be held in Allentown again? I love that stadium, and its got a great drum corps history (both DCA and DCI). The fan basis in that area would be strong. That town definitely knows what drum corps is as much as any (maybe save Madison). Madison would be another good place, but I don't know if there would be a stadium suitable for DCA (Camp Randall would be too big).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking around at the different state's stadium offerings. This is what I came up with that could work for DCA. I only looked at states that have hosted a DCA contest and have other DCA corps adjacent to their state:

J Burney Crum Stadium 15,000

Herndon Stadium (GA) 15,000 - only two sided, so still the same seating as PAETEC

Princeton Stadium (NJ) 27,800 - perhaps too big

Finley Stadium (TN) 20,668

I didn't include PAETEC because I assumed everyone knew of that one. The big issue with DCA trying to find another place to host is that the stadiums are too big and the ones that get close to the right size are often run-down. Rochester is nice because it gives the right sized stadium, and still remains top-notch (without having a pitcher's mound). Are there better stadiums out there? Of course there are, but DCA is going to have to draw a bigger crowd. With the addition of the "southern circuit," and Class A, I think we are headed in the right direction, but we aren't there just yet to be in 20-30,000 seat stadiums. PAETEC is at 17,500... so we are close, but not quite there. Just to give everyone a good estimate, MTSU's stadium (site of the Master's of the Summer Music Games) is around 31,700 (a great location one day).

Just some thoughts...

After looking around at the different state's stadium offerings. This is what I came up with that could work for DCA. I only looked at states that have hosted a DCA contest and have other DCA corps adjacent to their state:

J Burney Crum Stadium 15,000

Herndon Stadium (GA) 15,000 - only two sided, so still the same seating as PAETEC

Princeton Stadium (NJ) 27,800 - perhaps too big

Finley Stadium (TN) 20,668

I didn't include PAETEC because I assumed everyone knew of that one. The big issue with DCA trying to find another place to host is that the stadiums are too big and the ones that get close to the right size are often run-down. Rochester is nice because it gives the right sized stadium, and still remains top-notch (without having a pitcher's mound). Are there better stadiums out there? Of course there are, but DCA is going to have to draw a bigger crowd. With the addition of the "southern circuit," and Class A, I think we are headed in the right direction, but we aren't there just yet to be in 20-30,000 seat stadiums. PAETEC is at 17,500... so we are close, but not quite there. Just to give everyone a good estimate, MTSU's stadium (site of the Master's of the Summer Music Games) is around 31,700 (a great location one day).

Just some thoughts...

As others have said. It is more than just the stadium for finals.

Also. The DCA Central is also very far along now, and growing every year. With the DCA South doing very well and also growing. Now take a look at what is happening in the South West. (Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Etc.) The West Coast is the only area that does NOT have "stand alone" DCA. contests).

Looks like a Toledo, Canton, or Columbus, Ohio might be a place in the future. The Stadium in Canton must be of a good size. Maybe the Bluecoats could get involved and make some money off the DCA. Must be plenty of Hotels and motels (remember the NFL even holds a game there. Plenty to do and what not. But as they say. No Bid, No Chance.

Well, we will have to wait a few more weeks to find out. Understand there me be more than 8. YES EIGHT, bids for DCA to sort out this time. That alone is a GREAT sign of things to come.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Why can't Championships be held in Allentown again? I love that stadium, and its got a great drum corps history (both DCA and DCI). The fan basis in that area would be strong. That town definitely knows what drum corps is as much as any (maybe save Madison). Madison would be another good place, but I don't know if there would be a stadium suitable for DCA (Camp Randall would be too big).

the biggest issues with Allentown are this:

parking. if you've been to East lately, you know it's a mess. half the park is off limits if not more.

2 and the biggie...it's Fair weekend. which means no access to parking there and the fight for hotel space is brutal. people want to complain about long drives in Scranton? Try having to drive in from Jersey, which you will, if not Reading.

When you add up all the variables, I doubt that any city can come close to persuading the voting members to leave Rochester anytime in the near future.

There are so many things that Rochester has over any other venue.

Major airport

Plenty of good hotels

Drum Corps friendly stadium

Ample practice facilities

Highly experienced local committee

Mayor and County Executive willing to do what it takes

Best I&E venue ever

Friendly Police

Great selection of restaurants and bars

Central to most corps

Huge crowds to all events (even with escalating ticket prices)

I have just scratched the surface, but the two most important things that put Rochester at the top of the list are:

The fans and the performers leave Rochester with fond memories of the weekend (Not horror stories about brown shirts or having to stay 30 miles away from the venue and so on).

And most importantly, the corps are able to divide more profits than any other venue in DCA Championships history.

Granted other cities might have a bigger stadium or better hotels or better this or that, but when you look at the big picture, Rochester stands head and shoulders above all others.

Someone always raises the issue of the stadium being in a bad area of the city. Yes, but with the police presence all around, I have not heard of a single person bothered or any cars stripped. Where else can the corps stand in the streets and play really loud at 11pm and not be shut down?

I say viva Ra-Cha-Cha

Happy New Year to all

Yes but leaving the championships year after year in a average size city does not help southern corps, western corps, and New England Corps to increase in numbers; increase the number of corps involved in DCA expanding contests and revenue; and help DCA expand and increase the educational value for children that participate in DCA corps. It helps corps and youth in western New York and Northern PA. DCA should consider spreading the event and expanding DCA and the quality education available for the youth in the USA and Canada.

Also, at Foxboro there exists two major airports using either Southwest or Jet Blue for reduced fairs.

Amtrak stations

Plenty of hotels, from hole in the walls to 5 star hotels

the Patriot Place at Gillette Stadium provides the best I&E venue that has ever been built!

Area cities are also partaking in the event by hosting a brief (1/2 mile) parade in several cities welcoming corps and inviting more people to the event. Also waking up all the young adults, children, and seniors, not to mention drum corps alumni, from corps that existed throughout the area. Corps would be paid.

Many school districts have also volunteered their home stadiums for rehearsals as well as offered to feed the corps lunch on Saturday and Sunday of the event.

Most importantly, DCA needs to spread the interest and word to other parts of the USA. If DCA is to succeed, it needs to leave Scranton and Rochester to other cities. Let it be Foxboro, this time; Central Ohio next, California, then Atlanta. DCA needs to spread to allow the corps no one knows the opportunity to participate and recieve exposure from DCA traveling. DCA grows when it expands! It is time to expand DCA by leaving Rochester! Rochester was great and Scranton too, but both these cities are brick walls.

Most importantly, DCA needs to spread the interest and word to other parts of the USA. If DCA is to succeed, it needs to leave Scranton and Rochester to other cities. Let it be Foxboro, this time; Central Ohio next, California, then Atlanta. DCA needs to spread to allow the corps no one knows the opportunity to participate and recieve exposure from DCA traveling. DCA grows when it expands! It is time to expand DCA by leaving Rochester! Rochester was great and Scranton too, but both these cities are brick walls.

This is difficult to write since we (CV) face a huge bus ride to finals every year but it's better to have DCA Finals in a region that has fans that will pay to come to the stadium and see the corps. We depend on the share points we recieve as part of our operating budget and if Finals is in a non-traditional non-NE City then the butts won't be in the seats and the corps are looking at a reduced payout.

If you want the word about DCA spread, then the corps in the regions need to sponsor shows. We lost money on our Drum Corps Rocks The South show for the first 5 years we sponsored it but have finally built a small fan base here that we showed a profit this summer. (Thanks Suzanne Hood) If we were the Wilkes-Barre CorpsVets and our home show was at the W-B HS Stadium we'd have had bigger crowds, that's where the fans are.

I know this post rambles, but if it isn't broke than don't fix it. Rochester is a great city for Championships.

Forgot to mention Wegman's on Lyell Ave. The greatest grocery store on the planet!

Just to add my two cents here...

Now as I write this I am visualizing certain DCPers ready to jump on me...but hear me out. Rochester is probably better for all the corps that make up DCA. I am not saying it is the most central place but it makes the ride a few hours less for the mid west corps. The NJ and PA corps have to travel a bit and the west and southern corps? Oh well. Rochester is a drum corps place as evident in the two DCA corps from Rochester and the former junior corps that called Rochester home. What other city and county has had their mayor and county executive show up for a DCA business meeting and say so many positive things. Upstate NY boasts 4 good DCA corps and all within 70 miles of each other.

I found Rochester more fun to play at than Buffalo (except the gig at The Pier). Rochester is truly appreciative for what DCA has been bringing to the area and I would rather see the Championship there than anywhere else.

This attitude is the reason DCA has not, and will not grow. This garbage toward non EC corps and "oh well" who cares how much they have to drive, and how much more of a cost is put on corps that get fewer DCA shows, lower placements in prelims and finals because of it, thus making it more difficult for mid west and west coast corps to compete and be succsesfull blah blah blah. But yeah screw them. Now I'm gonna get chewed, but before I do let me say that I love finals in NY. Rochester has done absolutly perfect for the last 2 year. No issues what so ever. My only gripe is the field, which apparently has been complaint for like the last 10 years wherever it goes. Number one, it's a bit on the smallish side, and two if your a member and go on before 7pm you are absolutly blind. I just hate the drive/flight, and extra cost that comes with it. 13 hours on a bus is not something I look forward to anymore.

But once again I guess I'm beating a dead horse as DCA refuses to change this, and for good reason. Move west and DCA may die alltogether, who knows if anyone will show up? Stay out East, stay small, curb growth, but stay above water. Rock meet hard place. It looks like we're getting a few more corps comming up, we need another west coast, a few southern corps, and 1-2 more mid west corps, and presto! we have legitimate circuts nation wide, and can have finals wherever we want. Unfortunatly that's more then a few years away, so till then I'll gripe and chew on my knees for 13 hours on my way to ny.

the biggest issues with Allentown are this:

parking. if you've been to East lately, you know it's a mess. half the park is off limits if not more.

2 and the biggie...it's Fair weekend. which means no access to parking there and the fight for hotel space is brutal. people want to complain about long drives in Scranton? Try having to drive in from Jersey, which you will, if not Reading.

Plus the field is now farther away from the stands.....not a good thing for the all-age corps who are at their best with an "up close" connection to the audience.

Fran

Seems like a good alternative (eventually) would be to edge things just a bit farther south or west . . .and I don't mean Florida or California, heh.

Going down to the Pennsylvania area might be a nice to do to give the Southern corps a few less hours to travel, while still keeping things fairly close to the NE roots.

Either that, or moving slightly west into Ohio could ease some of the travel time for the Midwest members, and may give a few of the startups the chance to attend Finals.

I absolutely get that the North East is where DCA "lives", and don't think that the risk of going somewhere totally off the map (yes, even Winston-Salem, even though I'm only 20 minutes away from there . . . :tongue:) is worth a down year hurting DCA's bottom line, but there are places that the circuit could grow that might qualify as the "baby steps" towards moving away from a regional point-of-view to a semi-national one.