Phantom Regiment Chooses Jupiter

How can you make a comment about a person "fondling the money" and then end the same sentence by saying that your mean no offense? Can you provide us with an example of how "fondling the money" and calling into question someone's integrity is not offensive?

i was just using the word fondling instead of handling... why does it have to be a negative word... and yes no offense was meant, especially since I do respect Bob, a lot

Right, because finding the occasional defective horn makes the whole brand crap. You do realize that every company, in every market, makes the occasional defective product. Apple, Dell, Sony, Toyota...all companies known for a superior product...have their occasional, if rare, defects.

How long has the Quantum series been around? If it's this good this early, that's a REALLY good sign.

yes defective horns do happen, but rarely, but how often does the defectiveness actually cause a problem with how it plays... its usually a mechanical issue like a valve or something isn't right.

can we also agree that I have stated that I am basing my opinion off of three opinions, only one is probably valid, and that is really the only thing im basing things off of because i know thee people personally, and I respect one of their opinions a lot. Now might my opinion change once I experience these instruments, YES that is very possible, but a bunch of posts by people I don't know on DCP isn't going to change my opinon, except for maybe Bob, because I know he knows what he is talking about.... geeze

Maybe it's because you are from Mars that you find Jupiter so evil. That panetary war has been existing for 13 parsecs now and there is little sign of relief on either side. Please pray for the intergalactic refugees.

Can we not mention mars.... or jupiter, I have bad memories, maybe involving some battle, maybe some wonderful worlds and such. Something with X type shields and/or weapons..... I just like to forget it all. It is kind of a distant memory now. I'm just picturing a lot of black right now....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good point . . .it's just that I think we've all been used to the same players for so long (and let's face it, the first iteration of Jupiters out were really crappy) that it's hard to believe that they've improved that much, that fast.

However, listening to Surf and Academy on Season Pass and the mp3's, it sure seems like they've improved, dare I say it . . . by a Quantum leap. :thumbup:

/seriously, though, they sound pretty good

//Oh boy. ($1.00 to Dr. Sam Beckett)

And as an avid supporter of Open Class, you may want to check out Teal's brass sound too. Pretty powerful!!!

Maybe it's because you are from Mars that you find Jupiter so evil. That panetary war has been existing for 13 parsecs now and there is little sign of relief on either side. Please pray for the intergalactic refugees.

You tell time like Han Solo. :thumbup:

I'll give a full review of the Quantum baritone next month when I play it at OMEA.

Totally agree with this! Like a lot of people have said, maybe Jupiter have changed their horns but like the person that I agreeded with earlier, their horns have always been crap to me. I hope that Phantom can prove most of us all wrong about this switch and maybe Jupiter can finally prove that they mean business about QUALITY horns. Hmmm, we will have to wait and see.

You have already been proven 3 times over. Teal, Surf and Academy.

Done. Game. Set. Match.

3 times is obviously not enough for a Caveman to realize that Jupiter has new horns.

Wait. Did you say Jupiter has new horns? When did that happen? :thumbup:

Hey...I think the horns Regiment gets delivered to them will already be Generation II Quantums. I believe the issues discovered over the course of last season were logged by the reps and I have to believe the horns Regiment will get will employ those changes.

This go to market strategy from Jupiter has been well thought out. Brilliant is what I would say. They clearly have their sights set on teetering Yamaha's current market dominance. If this is their first salvo into this...I would think Yamaha would be concerned...very concerned.

This reminds me of how Hyundai upended the car market a few years back. I can hear the Jupiter reps talking to college and high school marching bands...we'll deliver horns, drums and pit better or equal to what Yamaha is now delivering...at 20% less cost. Because, that's what I'm guessing that's about where the Quantums come in (horns, drums, pit).

Yamaha has been able to leaverage its market dominance to keep the prices beneficial for...Yamaha. Competition is again...a good thing.

The tubas seem to look quite a lot like the Kanstul Bb's. Are there any actual design connections between the two? I'm referring to the specific dimensions of bell diameter, length of the horn, and weight, and also the general layout appears to look the same.

Kanstul- http://www.wwbw.com/Kanstul-Model_200_BBb_...r:referralID=NA

Jupiter- http://www.jupitermusic.com/jbi_instrument...d=1&pId=423

See the resemblance?

Edited by ussglassman

You know, one of the arguments in favor of the switch to Bb/F brass was that there were really only two companies making G brass. With the addition of Jupiter in the marching brass (and percussion) markets, competition will force everyone to produce the best product they can, and at a competitive price. Had other companies not dropped out of the G bugle market, we might have seen some improvement in those horns.

So...

Brass: Yamaha, Kanstul, Dynasty, King and Jupiter/Quantum.

Battery: Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty, Ludwig and Jupiter/Mapex

Pit: Yamaha, Adams, Musser, (Dynasty's brand? Can't remember, and website wouldn't come up. I tried, Al!), Jupiter/Majestic

Though I'm still a huge fan of G brass and mylar batter heads, competition between the manufacturers can only lead to better competition on the field. I hate to say it, but the move to Bb/F looks smarter everyday.

I can still do without the amps, though!

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor