Phantom Regiment Chooses Jupiter

http://www.jupitermusic.com/jbi_news_de ... spx?id=124

Phantom Regiment Chooses Jupiter

AUSTIN, TEXAS – December 15, 2008 – The 2008 Drum Corps International World Champion Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps of Rockford, IL have selected to play exclusively on Jupiter Quantum brass instruments beginning with the 2009 DCI competitive season.

J.D. Shaw, Caption Head and Music Arranger for Phantom Regiment said this of their new brass selection, "The Quantum Marching Brass has proven to me that artistry and nuance can go hand-in-hand with stability and durability. From stunning pianissimos to fiery fortissimos, Jupiter has engineered the next generation of marching brass instruments that meet the rigorous performance standards of the Phantom Regiment Brass." The Phantom Regiment has finished among the top three in brass for four consecutive seasons.

The Quantum series, which includes Jupiter brass, Mapex drums and Majestic field percussion, was introduced in 2008 and carried by three DCI corps. Jupiter’s Quantum models were also the official brass for the 2008 Macy’s Great American Marching Band, and the full Quantum series are the official instruments for the 2009 U.S. Army All-American Marching Band.

“Partnering with the DCI World Champions after having released these instruments only one year ago validates Jupiter’s commitment to the development of quality instruments,” said Tabor Stamper, President of Jupiter Band Instruments, Inc, “and with the fierce competition in the market today, we are honored that Phantom Regiment has chosen Quantum.”

The long-standing tradition and commitment to excellence within the Phantom Regiment is evident through their consistently high-ranking performances in competition and the dedication of its alumni. “Their staff is absolutely dedicated to the music education and individual growth of each member and the powerful, yet incredibly musical sound of their ensemble perfectly parallel the goals we had in developing the Quantum series of Jupiter Marching Brass,” concluded Stamper about the depth of the new partnership.

“I’m very excited to be partnering with Jupiter Brass Instruments,” said Rick Valenzuela, Executive Director of the Phantom Regiment. “We have worked with the management and design team of Jupiter before, and look forward to doing so again. The brass instruments we’ve tested are of the quality and sound that our instructional staff and students expect. We’re looking forward to a very exciting future and relationship between the Phantom Regiment and Jupiter Marching Brass!”

About Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps

The Phantom Regiment is a youth organization dedicated to the development of self-esteem and self-reliance. It encourages team work, sportsmanship, civic pride and contributions of one's personal best to a group effort. These lessons are learned through a musical and marching activity in which there is a blending of the arts and athletics.

Founded in 1956, the corps won the world championship in 2008 and 1996 and has finished among the top three 11 times. It has the second-longest active streak of consecutive appearances in DCI’s world championship finals. The organization also sponsors several other educational opportunities, including camps for aspiring drum majors and percussionist as well as a fall marching band festival.

For more about the organization, go to www.regiment.org.

About Jupiter Band Instruments, Inc.

Jupiter Band Instruments, Inc. is the US distributor of Jupiter woodwinds and brass, Mapex concert and marching drums, Majestic marching and concert percussion, and Altus handmade flutes. For more information, please contact Jupiter Band Instruments Inc., P.O. BOX 90249, Austin, TX 78709, or visit www.jupitermusic.com.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true test to those instruments.. having talked to people who marched surf, they hated playing the horns, they did have an okay sound, it was still missing something, but the horns fell apart. Hopefully things have improved and it will really prove if a hornline can keep their sound on different instruments. I noticed a difference between Crown 06 and Crown 07.. (i liked 06 sound better (notice i just said sound)(and that might not be related to horn choice, but I suspect)

I don't know, I'm a huge King fan having played on the other main two... have not experienced Jupiter...

but its a big deal for Jupiter, great direction for that company, and of course I expect JD to lead yet another great hornline. Hey the drums didn't make a difference, why would the horns. I mean yeah some play better than others, but sound is controlled more by the player, if the characteristic sound isn't there the horn doesn't matter. The horn does effect the sound, but not to the degree people think it does.

I agree with Sam, this is a huge score for Jupiter. It is also a huge risk for PR.

If Phantom sounds as good, or better than last year, Jupiter comes up smelling like a rose.

If they sound stuffy, tinny, weak, or if the horns do not stand up to the rigors of the season, Phantom will look foolish.

I wish both Phantom and Jupiter the best this season. A little more competition in the marketplace can only be a good thing.

I'm pretty sure they were using kings... I think they sound different every year... but you are right about 04

That is the thing, I always here a different sound every year from them... it still has the characteristic big dark sound, but it is different. I guess that goes for most corps, different players you are going to get a different sound, but i really notice it with Phantom. Their sounds always match their shows (05 a little brighter, 07 a tad brighter than 06/08) (when I say bright, i mean dark, if you know what I mean)

The got a full line of brand new Kings in 03, so they were probably on them on 04...I don't remember a brass switch between 03 and 08.

How did the Jupiters work out for Academy? I never got a chance to actually see their show this year.

Darn--I was hoping that the thread title meant that PR was going with a Holst show this year...

Surf used Jupiter last year.