Yelling's affect on corps memebers

Not a DCI story, but in one of my Corps (US Marines from Washington DC) i had a fun yelling event.

In 1998 we had an outstanding young rookie join our ranks in the Sop line. He was not yet in the drill show so he was doing some of the public relations type stuff and was in the Stands wearing "civies".

We were into our Closing piece (Stars and Stripes) and as we always had, the corps was marching backfield and moving toward the back sideline so we could form our company front, do our silent 4 count turn around, and then go into the big ending strain of the song.

Well, that night during the 4 count silence, we hear one voice scream "BRING IT HOME!!!!!!" and half of us in the drumline died laughing as did the crowd. Needless to say, the military crowd with generals and senators and other important types was much different than the rowdy DCI/DCA or high school crowds so this was just funny to watch peoples reactions. The crowd got on their feet and started hootin and hollerin and clapping along, and our new friend was given formal counseling and a "Page 11" entry (thats bad for Marines).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1985, Finals. The pit had just finished our circle where we would think through our show. At that point we would stand in a line, backs to the field so we can focus on our show and not get drawn into watching the preceding show. Before our section leader called us to attention the crowd started going NUTS. They had gotten a glimpse of our drum major bringing in the rest of the corps and people were on their feet. That gave me goose bumps in a major way. We placed 9th that year, and some of the electricity I felt on the field was definitely a result of that amazing moment before we had played a single note.

Terri,

Just wanted to say I loved you guys in 1985. One of my favorite shows from that year.

I personally love all that pre-show stuff. From the time we yelled splooie until we stepped off were the most thrilling moments for me, and it never got old. Hearing all those people going nuts as we marched out there, and then hearing everything being yelled while we're standing out there in opening set. Easily one of my favorite things about the summer.