Michael "Cozy" Baker Passes Away

JohnD

1994 Empire Statesmen...rehearsal...more than once, Cozy Baker was called out on performance...more than once, corrected for intonation, marching, you name it...more than once ,given every reason to say "I don't need this". And every time...EVERY TIME...putting his head down, getting better, persevering...the hardest working guy on the field....an example of humility, pride and hard work.

He made those around him better.

And the son-of-a-gun could play.

"Ol' Man River"...Statesmen 94...watch the video and look for Cozy...air in the horn, looking for the dot, nailing the horn pop with a little bit of a grin on his face as if he was saying "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

He was having the time of his life.

I am proud to have known Cozy Baker.

Joey, thanks for emailing that story to me. I'll be more than happy to read it during the tribute podcast.

Thanks to all who have called and emailed your Cozy stories. Keep 'em coming!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cozy was one of the really "good guys" in this activity and he will be greatly missed. Lisa and I had a good cry yesterday when we heard the news from Hairbear, and we had a little wake, telling Cozy stories all afternoon through the tears. We often had the pleasure of hosting Cozy at our house when he marched Kilts in 99. Those days are now all the more precious to us as we have lost our dear friend.

Rest in Peace Cozy, and say hi to Lothar for me.

WWBD!

I was also fortunate enough to spend the summer of '99' with Cozy. At the Kilties' banquet there were several corps awards given out......but Cozy had a bunch of his own awards made up with his own award categories. He included little name plates that had personal comments about each recipient. The comments were dead on, and most quite amusing, which said more about Cozy than the recipient. That he took the time to do it, and knew so much about each person tells the story of Cozy in drum corps.

Another drum corps icon has gone, but as a previous poster has noted, the best way we can all honour him is to emulate him.

WWBD

Gord Moffatt

Kilties '99' (and forever)

I was also fortunate enough to spend the summer of '99' with Cozy. At the Kilties' banquet there were several corps awards given out......but Cozy had a bunch of his own awards made up with his own award categories. He included little name plates that had personal comments about each recipient. The comments were dead on, and most quite amusing, which said more about Cozy than the recipient. That he took the time to do it, and knew so much about each person tells the story of Cozy in drum corps.

Another drum corps icon has gone, but as a previous poster has noted, the best way we can all honour him is to emulate him.

WWBD

Gord Moffatt

Kilties '99' (and forever)

Hey Gord.....it's funny you mention these awards. They were known as the "Kiltie Mad Plaid Awards". I just happen to be looking at one of these awards right on my desk, where it has been for almost 10 years. I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients of these awards that year....the 1999 Kiltie Fan of the Year!

Cozy gave it to me in Plymouth Mass that year.....one of the years the Kilties came all the way from Wisconsin to march in "Americas Home Town Parade". I was thrilled and honored that I was even considered!!! Since then, Cozy and I have talked many times.....via internet, shows, and he even interviewed me once. He always had a quote or two from me in a couple of his articles in Drum Corps World...."Cozy's Corner". I was honored to know him and proud to call him my friend.

RIP my friend......

Edited by FPonzo

Hey Gord.....it's funny you mention these awards. They were known as the "Kiltie Mad Plaid Awards". I just happen to be looking at one of these awards right on my desk, where it has been for almost 10 years. I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients of these awards that year....the 1999 Kiltie Fan of the Year!

Cozy gave it to me in Plymouth Mass that year.....one of the years the Kilties came all the way from Wisconsin to march in "Americas Home Town Parade". I was thrilled and honored that I was even considered!!! Since then, Cozy and I have talked many times.....via internet, shows, and he even interviewed me once. He always had a quote or two from me in a couple of his articles in Drum Corps World...."Cozy's Corner". I was honored to know him and proud to call him my friend.

RIP my friend......

Frank,

I also was the proud recipient of one of them for, of all things, "Best Ghost Rider in Plaid" and as previously mentioned it said more about Cozy than me. I had never met him prior to my short Kilties' stint and yet he knew all about me.

The Plymouth gig was one of the most enjoyable events we did that year and Cozy was in the thick of everything that was going on (as usual) because he was totally in his element. I only saw him sporadically in the following years, but I'm really glad I got to say hi at DCA Premlims this past year. It is a tribute to him that he could have the same affect on those of us who only knew him briefly as those that were closer.

As with many others in our activity that have gone to that great big alumni corps in the sky recently,........... we will miss him.

Gord

Hey everybody.

I just wanted to give you an update on the Cozy memorial/tribute podcast I'm putting together.

First of all, I'd like to thank those of you who have called or emailed me with stories and messages about Cozy. Playing these stories and reading these messages will demonstrate yet again what a wonderful man Cozy was and how much he touched all of our lives.

It's a week until Cozy's memorial in Alabama. I'd like to put together the final recording of the podcast this Wednesday evening (1/14/09). If you haven't called and left a message or emailed me with your Cozy memories, I'd love it if you did so. If you've posted a story about Cozy in this thread and would like it used in the tribute podcast, just email me the link to your post and I will add it to the finished show.

Here's the contact info to participate in the tribute podcast:

Phone - (330) 871-7965

Skype - kevingamin

Email - boxcenter@drumcorpsplanet.com

You can also PM me via DCP.

I will post the finished product on Sunday. This way those of you who can't be in Alabama can hold your own memorial and share in the moment with those who are there. I will also see about getting the show burned to CD and delivered to Cozy's family so they have a permanent reminder of how much we all loved Cozy.

Thank you all.