Best and Worst Uniforms (2008)

If you knew that man you'd know that he is far from a "cookie cutter" designer. He designs what YOU want without making the uniform look outlandish.

A uniform should get your attention, but not in the "wtf was that guy thinking?" kinda way.

He may have the greatest uniform design ever in Black, Red, with no shoulder wings...but you've got your heart set on Black, White, and shoulder wings then the man is gonna take that and make it look sharp.

I'll back this statement 100% and I'll also say corps directors should leave designers the freak alone during the entire design process. Venting... I know but who wants to see another corps in blue and black?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the skirt on BD this summer distracting, but I did like their white plumes. And their guard uniforms were HORRIBLE! Belly buttons and neon. Ugh.

I liked the change in the SCV uniforms (both Vanguard and the Cadets.) The only thing that really bothered me was indeed, The Michael's Christmas ribbon bargin sashes. I liked the red. Just not the fabric choice.

And I have loved the new Mandarins uniforms ever since their preview. You know it's that little corp from Sactown when that burnt orange comes on the field. They are a 1000+ better than their previous uniforms, and though they went for the cadet style uniform, they kept their unique asian flair with the inspired cumberbun and gauntlets.

As for guard uniforms, loved the SCV uniforms, Crowns uniforms and the Cavies uniforms. I really did not like BD's guard uniforms (see above) and the Mandarins guard uniforms were... well, yikes. Ditto that for the Scouts guard uniforms.

I have to disagree with the Cadets uniform. I think the colors had nothing to do with SCV and was a little disappointed by that. The A corps nevertheless, I did enjoy.

I loved the BD Guard uniform. :cool:

I'll back this statement 100% and I'll also say corps directors should leave designers the freak alone during the entire design process. Venting... I know but who wants to see another corps in blue and black?

I will never debate that Michael Cesario is a fantastic designer. What I am debating is that many of the the corps he works for, as well as uniform companies that emulate his designs, have chosen similar designs that are different only in color and certain details. If you look back to the times 20 and 30 years ago when corps had to MAKE their own uniforms, you will see every corps had a totally signature look. If a corps had long jackets, or baggy satin green shirts, or close fitting blue bolero jackets, its because the corps DIRECTORS sat down and drew it out themselves, then had the PARENTS sew it together.

Nowadays, everyone uses the same template, and I feel that concept is taking even more identity away from the activity. It's bad enough drum corps have given up their signature instruments, now corps are being forced by "innovation" to give up the traditional styles that brought them this far in the first place. I'm not a Cadets fan, but right now I deeply support their desire to stay true to their original uniform. It shows that while music, instrumentation, and show designs may change and grow, this is still the same corps it has always been.

My only point for corps such as the Blue Stars is that there are no signature traits tying them to the corps they used to be. Yes, Blue Stars are one of the finest in the activity. Yes, Blue Stars display class and style which can never be disputed. But, the Blue Stars of today are only that because of the name. Everything else, from the audience perspective, has been disposed of, and, to me, that symbolizes yet another change for the worse for the drum corps activity.

To whoever reads this and just wants to spit at me, I have to ask this; why is tradition so terrible? What is wrong with doing things as a performance ensemble to pay honor to your beginnings? And why is it that all people want to do is ignore the fact that the drum corps activity is very weak right now due to "innovation?" I think the drum corps activity is very close to innovating itself out of existence unless someone stands up and speaks for the traditions that separate drum corps from everyone else.

Funny... I marched Blue Stars, the buckle, bucks, white stripe and helmet days. I was upset with the shako switch but the old uniform needed to go. They don't fit and made members look short and fat. Also the Cadets uniform has been modernized with small changes.

Edited by CloudHype

That's funny, because their last uniforms (with such a minute tinge of that purple you think that people associate Crown with) were the same exact shade of cream.

Oh man. I really hope you aren't trying to say Carolina Crown has never had mostly-purple uniforms.

2qkuvpx.jpg

That would just be so embarrassing. I would really hate to make such a big fool of myself. That would suck.

A lot.

:tongue:

Edited by Stryfe

Oh man. I really hope you aren't trying to say Carolina Crown has never had mostly-purple uniforms.

2qkuvpx.jpg

That would just be so embarrassing. I would really hate to make such a big fool of myself. That would suck.

A lot.

:tongue:

Sucks for you, I guess. He was talking about these uniforms, which were the unis they had before their current ones....

a3056e7417.jpg

Notice the "minute tinge of purple" he was talking about, and the "exact shade of creme." I don't think he was saying they never had mostly-purple unis before. Moreso that they have strayed away from the purple that many corps identified them with. To the point where there is no more purple on their uniforms.

For the record, I think these uniforms are AWFUL. Horizontal stripes = bad idea. Off-center plumes = blechh!!

crown06su6.jpg

I like the 03-05 look much better than the 06 style^

(What a difference a change in plume color makes)

Edited by Huntington Mallets

In no particular order...

Crossmen...not a good look at all. Where did this draw from? Not from any recent history of the corps that I can remember. When I saw them on the DVD I had to grab my liner notes to try to remember who they were.

Blue Stars...close and better than last year....but not there yet. Dark blue pants would work and I would have went lighter with the shakos...white with red plumes would have been better...but white plumes would work too. I do like the shakos over the bucket hats. A dark to light look would make this corps appear taller.

Madison...if it ain't superman, I ain't interested. This year..the corps uni was better than last year but just barely. And the guard...what a shambles. Just bad on top of bad and finished bad.

BD..I hate this uniform. I have for two years now. The skirts did little for me and the white plume just echoed backward instead of a forward look. If BD was constantly seeking absurdity, they need look no further than this year's uniform.

BK...yeah I get it...you guys are the "dark corps." How about the invisible on the field corps? Just too dark top to bottom. See...and I unlike many people never liked PRs black uniform for the same reason. The corps looks smaller than they really are.

Pioneer...never liked this uniform and nothing has changed in the last 3 years to make me like it. It's cluttered, noisy in the midsection and the hats don't make it for me. I call this the Irish Nightmare.

Again in no particular order...

Cavies...why would you change?

SCV...I like this one every year.

Cadets...you know it's them and it's a great fitting uniform year in and out.

Troopers...better this year than the previous few years.

Regiment...been a good uniform for most of this decade...no more caramel machiatto mocha latte frappachino uniforms EVER AGAIN.

Colts...I just have liked this uniform since I first saw it. It wakes you up when you take the field.

There are also some corps who's uniforms just leave me going...ehhh. Glassmen, Academy, Crest, Mandarins, Spirit...just ehh...nothing special.