Best and Worst Uniforms (2008)

Crossmen...not a good look at all. Where did this draw from? Not from any recent history of the corps that I can remember. When I saw them on the DVD I had to grab my liner notes to try to remember who they were.

Recent history? Well, I guess the memory is the first thing to go. That, or you just never really paid much attention to the Crossmen since 2004 because the basic look and design of the uniform has not changed much at all in the past five years...except the red is now white.

045108b48a.jpgf03a57d9dc.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the white replacing the red on the Crossmen's uniform stands out much better, but feel it gives it a bit more of an unfinished look - like something is missing - that the red did not. I think the solid black behind the stark white makes the edges of the white forms look unfinished. Maybe adding red piping to the edges of all the white shapes would give better definition and make it look more "fininshed".

Wasn't there something Crossmen had planned to add to their uniforms in 2008 that they ended up not using? Or was that in 2007?

Recent history? Well, I guess the memory is the first thing to go. That, or you just never really paid much attention to the Crossmen since 2004 because the basic look and design of the uniform has not changed much at all in the past five years...except the red is now white.

045108b48a.jpgf03a57d9dc.jpg

maybe it's just that white thing..for me. I liked the red and black look.

. . .all the Crossmen need to do is a slightly updated version of the early 90's uni.

pic117.jpg

Everyone looked like they were seven feet tall, and it's probably in my top 5 favorite unis ever.

Srsly.

Hey, I love that uni too. I was lucky enough to wear it. But the plumes weren't tall enough and the pants were horribly fitted. And when we turned around to face backfield, it wasn't pretty. :)

As far as the red and black thing, I think the actual design looks great with either color. The red and black probably looks better up close, but on the field, I was pretty amazed at how good (and clean) the black and white came across. It also gives the design team a more neutral palette upon which to make their other color choices with the guard more effective.

Why would anyone, current or past member of Drum Corps want to sit on here and bash anything a Drum Corps is doing. Operationally I can understand, but uniforms, now come on. BlueStars wanted a new look. The look worked, they made it into the top. Crown wanted to go towards a new look, and guess what it worked. Phantom wanted a different look and yup AGAIN it worked.

Now for Madison, as for a waste of money, I am pretty sure those uniforms didn't cost the corps a THING! Yup NOTHING! They were a great unifrom, the corps is going dark, and Ramiro wanted that shade, searched high and low for it, so attack him not the corps. As for the comment about making you want to puke, if Drum Corps and what it does for the lives of young people makes you ill, then I would highly suggest taking up another hobby to watch. Young adults from all over the world work very hard, and their efforts should NEVER be put down or made fun of. Maybe instead of complaining about everything, you should all go and support the corps get "good quality" unifroms, and staff, and guard uniforms. After all most of those decdisions are made based on a financial aspect. SO the reason they areso "HORRIBLE" is because Drum Corps Alumni are not supporting their respective corps.

Madison's Uniforms were not to hide anything, that was a great corps. Get off the White pant trip, no one cares if they have white or Black on the field. White pants only cost more money to take care of, so Madison along with every other corps wearing black are being financially responible. And I am sure that if Cavies, and SCV, and BD, all went to white pants then Madison would go back too. Not happening so get over it.

This forum has gotten out of hand. Why would anyone want to create such an ugly enviroment that allows people (usually with NO ties to the organization they are complaining about) to sit and bad mouth an organization. REMEMBER THIS, the art of Drum Corps is not winning, its giving guideance to young adults on how to be better people. DOn't forget that for one minute. Many wonerful people have come from the "crappy" corps, yet no one cares because they weren't top 6 so it doesn't matter.

Get off your behinds, support your corps, and don't complain unless you can post documentation showing that you support your "alumn" corps each year.

Blue Devils' uniforms were cool for the show, but I don't think they're applicable to any other theme, so I think we'll see a return of the 07 uniform.

Phantom's was really cool, fit the Spartacus theme pretty well.

Crown, I miss the purple, but the cream looks so much nicer. I think they've been trying to make themselves look like 92-93 Star in the last couple of years.

Crossmen, the white was good because it brought out all the colors in the guard more.

Madison's uniform made me want to puke. Fecal matter green vest and a tie do not look very good. I know green uniforms are there to hide the corps on the feild, but I wish they would have gone a little farther so I wouldn't have had to see them at all.

Blue Star's new uniforms don't command as much respect as the old ones. I miss the helmet, the blue, and the sashes. Didn't they get a pattent on that helmet a while back?

Pacific Crest needs something more than just black on their uniform.

Glassmen's uniforms are just about as bland as their shows.

Santa Clara's uniforms looked cool, just a little to christmasy. I think they need to go back to white pants and red jackets.

Blue Coats, I like the new uniform, but I think they need the white to distinguish themselves from the Blue Devils. They pretty much look like the same corps with different headgear.

Colts, I'm not sure when these new uniforms came out, or if they are even new anymore, but they are so much cooler than the older ones.

I like the uniform. However, the power ranger stripes that were added took a little getting used to. :tongue: I think they're about due for a new design though.

maybe this year.

Why would anyone, current or past member of Drum Corps want to sit on here and bash anything a Drum Corps is doing. Operationally I can understand, but uniforms, now come on. BlueStars wanted a new look. The look worked, they made it into the top. Crown wanted to go towards a new look, and guess what it worked. Phantom wanted a different look and yup AGAIN it worked.

Now for Madison, as for a waste of money, I am pretty sure those uniforms didn't cost the corps a THING! Yup NOTHING! They were a great unifrom, the corps is going dark, and Ramiro wanted that shade, searched high and low for it, so attack him not the corps. As for the comment about making you want to puke, if Drum Corps and what it does for the lives of young people makes you ill, then I would highly suggest taking up another hobby to watch. Young adults from all over the world work very hard, and their efforts should NEVER be put down or made fun of. Maybe instead of complaining about everything, you should all go and support the corps get "good quality" unifroms, and staff, and guard uniforms. After all most of those decdisions are made based on a financial aspect. SO the reason they areso "HORRIBLE" is because Drum Corps Alumni are not supporting their respective corps.

Madison's Uniforms were not to hide anything, that was a great corps. Get off the White pant trip, no one cares if they have white or Black on the field. White pants only cost more money to take care of, so Madison along with every other corps wearing black are being financially responible. And I am sure that if Cavies, and SCV, and BD, all went to white pants then Madison would go back too. Not happening so get over it.

This forum has gotten out of hand. Why would anyone want to create such an ugly enviroment that allows people (usually with NO ties to the organization they are complaining about) to sit and bad mouth an organization. REMEMBER THIS, the art of Drum Corps is not winning, its giving guideance to young adults on how to be better people. DOn't forget that for one minute. Many wonerful people have come from the "crappy" corps, yet no one cares because they weren't top 6 so it doesn't matter.

Get off your behinds, support your corps, and don't complain unless you can post documentation showing that you support your "alumn" corps each year.

Hahahahaha, welcome to DCP where we discuss drum corps and debate opinions.

Hahahahaha, welcome to DCP where we discuss drum corps and debate opinions.

This forum was intended for fans of the drum corps activity to discuss our OPINIONS of corps uniforms for the year 2008. We all log onto DCP because we LOVE DRUM CORPS!!! Not one individual that has offered their opinion has discounted the countless hours of intense labor the kids put into their production. Furthermore, we all know, understand, and respect the labor put forth by the design and instructional staffs of every drum corps in existence.

ANYONE who interprets someone not liking a specific uniform design as "bad mouthing" the tremendous efforts of those involved in drum corps seriously has some personality issues. I have my opinions. Because they differ from yours does not mean that I am disrespecting anyone. I like it when corps wear a uniform that reflects their origins and their traditions. Why does that make me a heretic? Ok, I will admit that, even though I do not care for them, the new designs of corps like the Blue Stars have been very effective and popular. Thats great!

I think that anything a corps can do to better serve its students must be done. I feel, however, that the lack of tradition in the appearance of certain drum corps is a playing card in a game that could signal the end of the true identity of the activity we all love so much. I am one of the few people that sees certain innovations are hurting the drum corps activity, while at the same time they are helping it move into a new direction. Uniforms are something every corps uses to identify itself. But it seems when a corps gets new uniforms they just think "hey, that designs looks cool, lets go with that!" and leave out many other elements of what should go into a uniform design. I just wish that more corps would consider a broader concept of their past, and what their program means to the drum corps activity when designing their uniforms.

If I have said anything on here that is deemed offensive, please take it to me personally. Thanks~