Best and Worst Uniforms (2008)

Why would anyone, current or past member of Drum Corps want to sit on here and bash anything a Drum Corps is doing. Operationally I can understand, but uniforms, now come on. BlueStars wanted a new look. The look worked, they made it into the top. Crown wanted to go towards a new look, and guess what it worked. Phantom wanted a different look and yup AGAIN it worked.

Now for Madison, as for a waste of money, I am pretty sure those uniforms didn't cost the corps a THING! Yup NOTHING! They were a great unifrom, the corps is going dark, and Ramiro wanted that shade, searched high and low for it, so attack him not the corps. As for the comment about making you want to puke, if Drum Corps and what it does for the lives of young people makes you ill, then I would highly suggest taking up another hobby to watch. Young adults from all over the world work very hard, and their efforts should NEVER be put down or made fun of. Maybe instead of complaining about everything, you should all go and support the corps get "good quality" unifroms, and staff, and guard uniforms. After all most of those decdisions are made based on a financial aspect. SO the reason they areso "HORRIBLE" is because Drum Corps Alumni are not supporting their respective corps.

Madison's Uniforms were not to hide anything, that was a great corps. Get off the White pant trip, no one cares if they have white or Black on the field. White pants only cost more money to take care of, so Madison along with every other corps wearing black are being financially responible. And I am sure that if Cavies, and SCV, and BD, all went to white pants then Madison would go back too. Not happening so get over it.

This forum has gotten out of hand. Why would anyone want to create such an ugly enviroment that allows people (usually with NO ties to the organization they are complaining about) to sit and bad mouth an organization. REMEMBER THIS, the art of Drum Corps is not winning, its giving guideance to young adults on how to be better people. DOn't forget that for one minute. Many wonerful people have come from the "crappy" corps, yet no one cares because they weren't top 6 so it doesn't matter.

Get off your behinds, support your corps, and don't complain unless you can post documentation showing that you support your "alumn" corps each year.

Time for the Waaaahhhmbulance! Sorry someone peed in your Cheerios.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the 2008 Blue Devils uniforms!!!! :tongue:

I did not like Madison's uniform. IMO they need to pick a uniform and stick with it.

I always love the Cadets uniform. :smile:

Sucks for you, I guess. He was talking about these uniforms, which were the unis they had before their current ones....

Notice the "minute tinge of purple" he was talking about, and the "exact shade of creme." I don't think he was saying they never had mostly-purple unis before. Moreso that they have strayed away from the purple that many corps identified them with. To the point where there is no more purple on their uniforms.!

:tongue:

If you had any idea what my original post said,

I hate Crown's uniform. Sorry. I don't get how cream/beige/brown was ever a good idea for any corps, Star included. Crown is still represented (by fans, at least) with purple and there's not an inch of purple on their uniforms anymore

you'd know that the only way to interpret his post intelligently was that he was insinuating that Carolina had never worn purple and that no one identifies them with purple.

If he was aware of the fact that they had worn purple, then his post was just one big logical fallacy (it could be interpreted as a straw man, a red herring and a non sequitur, specifically). If not, (which is more likely) it was ignorant, as it implied he thought Carolina had always worn cream.

Anyway, back to uniforms.

And the [Madison] guard...what a shambles. Just bad on top of bad and finished bad.

I liked their guard uniforms. I also wouldn't say they finished poorly* last year. but whatever.

Why would anyone, current or past member of Drum Corps want to sit on here and bash anything a Drum Corps is doing.

:smile: Everyone's already said it, but omg! opinions! Criticism?!

Edited by Stryfe

Why would anyone, current or past member of Drum Corps want to sit on here and bash anything a Drum Corps is doing. Operationally I can understand, but uniforms, now come on. BlueStars wanted a new look. The look worked, they made it into the top. Crown wanted to go towards a new look, and guess what it worked. Phantom wanted a different look and yup AGAIN it worked.

Now for Madison, as for a waste of money, I am pretty sure those uniforms didn't cost the corps a THING! Yup NOTHING! They were a great unifrom, the corps is going dark, and Ramiro wanted that shade, searched high and low for it, so attack him not the corps. As for the comment about making you want to puke, if Drum Corps and what it does for the lives of young people makes you ill, then I would highly suggest taking up another hobby to watch. Young adults from all over the world work very hard, and their efforts should NEVER be put down or made fun of. Maybe instead of complaining about everything, you should all go and support the corps get "good quality" unifroms, and staff, and guard uniforms. After all most of those decdisions are made based on a financial aspect. SO the reason they areso "HORRIBLE" is because Drum Corps Alumni are not supporting their respective corps.

Madison's Uniforms were not to hide anything, that was a great corps. Get off the White pant trip, no one cares if they have white or Black on the field. White pants only cost more money to take care of, so Madison along with every other corps wearing black are being financially responible. And I am sure that if Cavies, and SCV, and BD, all went to white pants then Madison would go back too. Not happening so get over it.

This forum has gotten out of hand. Why would anyone want to create such an ugly enviroment that allows people (usually with NO ties to the organization they are complaining about) to sit and bad mouth an organization. REMEMBER THIS, the art of Drum Corps is not winning, its giving guideance to young adults on how to be better people. DOn't forget that for one minute. Many wonerful people have come from the "crappy" corps, yet no one cares because they weren't top 6 so it doesn't matter.

Get off your behinds, support your corps, and don't complain unless you can post documentation showing that you support your "alumn" corps each year.

Looks like we need to send out the WAAAAmbulance

I just wish that more corps would consider a broader concept of their past, and what their program means to the drum corps activity when designing their uniforms.

If I have said anything on here that is deemed offensive, please take it to me personally. Thanks~

I myself don't get too psyched one way or another about uniforms, but since you've used the Blue Stars uniform as an example of putting aside tradition, I thought I'd chime in with a few thoughts. First off, cross straps and buckles. That's a look I really miss too, but there was a pretty wide sentiment in the organization that it was time for an update. There were a number of years of thought and trial and error before making the change in 2007. The move from the pith helmet was much more controversial, but there were significant issues with the helmets and something needed to be done. I don't think we're going to be seeing the cross straps and buckles again anytime soon, but I personally have hopes that we might see a helmet again sometime in my lifetime.

Take a look at the logo for the Blue Stars original sponsor (First Federal Bank):

firstfed.jpg

Look familiar? It's very similar to the star on the new uniform, so even though the new uniform doesn't scream "Blue Stars" to people used to the cross straps and buckle, there is some tribute to corps history there. And although it's kindof subtle, the move to white shoes is also a move back to the corps' past... in the '60s and '70s as a world class corps, the members wore white shoes with the dark uniforms to emphasize their clean feet in the drill.

It's nice to know that people care about this stuff and I hope this might make you feel a little better knowing that the changeover was not a completely arbitrary exercise.

NOT AT ALL TOM.

Thanks for being a member of the Madison Corps program as well. I personally LOVE the Madison Unifoms, and cannot wait to see the additions and changes being made to them this year.

For the record, I hate all of the uniforms worn by everyone this year.

Time for the Waaaahhhmbulance! Sorry someone peed in your Cheerios.

I personally LOVE the Madison Unifoms, and cannot wait to see the additions and changes being made to them this year.

For the record, I hate all of the uniforms worn by everyone this year.

I personally don't mind them (certainly excited to wear one myself...), like them a bit more than 07 with some changes to be made yet, but one shouldn't think that people criticizing a uniform are "bashing" the organization, the staff and members. Meaningful criticism is what artists yearn for. People here don't think they have a say in what uniforms are changed, they're just voicing their opinions.

As for a part of your post, did Madison's uniforms really not cost them anything? What's the story there? I'm curious.

Edited by Stryfe

This forum was intended for fans of the drum corps activity to discuss our OPINIONS of corps uniforms for the year 2008. We all log onto DCP because we LOVE DRUM CORPS!!! Not one individual that has offered their opinion has discounted the countless hours of intense labor the kids put into their production. Furthermore, we all know, understand, and respect the labor put forth by the design and instructional staffs of every drum corps in existence.

ANYONE who interprets someone not liking a specific uniform design as "bad mouthing" the tremendous efforts of those involved in drum corps seriously has some personality issues. I have my opinions. Because they differ from yours does not mean that I am disrespecting anyone. I like it when corps wear a uniform that reflects their origins and their traditions. Why does that make me a heretic? Ok, I will admit that, even though I do not care for them, the new designs of corps like the Blue Stars have been very effective and popular. Thats great!

I think that anything a corps can do to better serve its students must be done. I feel, however, that the lack of tradition in the appearance of certain drum corps is a playing card in a game that could signal the end of the true identity of the activity we all love so much. I am one of the few people that sees certain innovations are hurting the drum corps activity, while at the same time they are helping it move into a new direction. Uniforms are something every corps uses to identify itself. But it seems when a corps gets new uniforms they just think "hey, that designs looks cool, lets go with that!" and leave out many other elements of what should go into a uniform design. I just wish that more corps would consider a broader concept of their past, and what their program means to the drum corps activity when designing their uniforms.

If I have said anything on here that is deemed offensive, please take it to me personally. Thanks~

hey, i just quoted the guy and told him welcome to DCP.. i think you quoted me by accident