I got cut from my dream corps! Now what do I do?

I'll join INT. They're always looking for new members. Plus Boo gave me an insider on the show. It's going to be great.

I asked you not to tell anyone about that. Now everyone will be bugging me for the inside scoop.

Edit: Okay, I just remembered I'd already spilled the beans HERE.

The show is based on the music of Neil Diamond and is titled, "I'm Glad You're Here With Me Tonight."

The show will feature a gong with a sign on the top of the stand that states, "Play Me," performed to a gong solo of "Beautiful Noise."

The pit, as is the entire corps, will be attired "Forever in Blue Jean," to keep the corps "Headed for the Future," "If You Know What I Mean."

Most of the show was put together during "Some September Morning," and as a result, the corps won't be playing any of "Yesterday's Songs."

The INT creative staff is working well together, unlike some instances in the past when the show was put together by a "Solitary Man." "I Got the Feelin"" that this show will have fans screaming, "You Got to Me." I'm convinced of this because "I'm a Believer." And when the season is over, the members will not be singing "Song Sung Blue" and will be looking forward to the next season when they can all say "Hello Again" to each other.

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my hope that some day soon, a kid will get cut from a full Pioneer and will be asking about what other corps he/she might have a chance to make.

Having known the people who run Pioneer for the past few decades and having sent to them members whose parents asked me for advice, I can honestly state that the Pioneer experience is one I can suggest with no reservations.

I wish we could create a RANDOM DRAFT for kids to enter then they would go to what ever corps they would go march and the name would be just a name! Yes, I know it couldn't work...

If a corps cuts you, go find a competing corps and work your butt off to kick the original 'cutting' corps' ###!

Interestingly enough, this happened for me. In Nov. of 1993 I was looking for somewhere to march. I had just finished my senior marching season in high school as a clarinet player, but was looking to march drumcorps and was willing to do anything to get on the road. I lived in Norther KY and the closest corps were Glassmen and Bluecoats, but I knew I would have to go the II/III route. I figured the easiest corps for me to get to would be Northern Aurora...a straight shot up I-75. I got their phone number out of the 1993 DCI yearbook and gave them a call. I eventually was put in touch with Ric Roberts and I told him my "situation". His advice was this. He told me that Northern Aurora was looking to make the push into div I and was not interested in having non-brass players in their hornline. He told me "give Pioneer a call...they will take people like you". That is what I did. I was put in touch with Pat Seidling who welcomed me with open arms. I was taught to play a baritone and Pioneer proceeded to kick Northern Aurora's butt all around the midwest the summer of 1994. I ended up with my first of two div II championship rings that summer and went on to march Pioneer for 5 seasons....aging out as horn seargent in 1998. That phone call to Ric Roberts was on of the most important moments of my life, I just didn't realize it at the time.

I haven't been around Pioneer in a few years, but I would encourage anyone who get cut to give them a shot. They weren't my "first" choice, but they ended up being just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes a door getting closed in your face can be followed by another opening. As others have said...no matter if its Pioneer, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, or anyone else...March! You won't regret it.

MikeZ

Pioneer bari/euph 94-98

Cut from your dream corps?

Here's what you do. Follow this advice...

What to do after your cut.

I could have sworn you were Rickrolling me.

And I clicked it anyway.

What have I become?!

Anyway, yes. Look around indeed.

Interestingly enough, this happened for me. In Nov. of 1993 I was looking for somewhere to march. I had just finished my senior marching season in high school as a clarinet player, but was looking to march drumcorps and was willing to do anything to get on the road. I lived in Norther KY and the closest corps were Glassmen and Bluecoats, but I knew I would have to go the II/III route. I figured the easiest corps for me to get to would be Northern Aurora...a straight shot up I-75. I got their phone number out of the 1993 DCI yearbook and gave them a call. I eventually was put in touch with Ric Roberts and I told him my "situation". His advice was this. He told me that Northern Aurora was looking to make the push into div I and was not interested in having non-brass players in their hornline. He told me "give Pioneer a call...they will take people like you". That is what I did. I was put in touch with Pat Seidling who welcomed me with open arms. I was taught to play a baritone and Pioneer proceeded to kick Northern Aurora's butt all around the midwest the summer of 1994. I ended up with my first of two div II championship rings that summer and went on to march Pioneer for 5 seasons....aging out as horn seargent in 1998. That phone call to Ric Roberts was on of the most important moments of my life, I just didn't realize it at the time.

I haven't been around Pioneer in a few years, but I would encourage anyone who get cut to give them a shot. They weren't my "first" choice, but they ended up being just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes a door getting closed in your face can be followed by another opening. As others have said...no matter if its Pioneer, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, or anyone else...March! You won't regret it.

MikeZ

Pioneer bari/euph 94-98

EXACTLY my point with my post!!!!!!

So i got cut last year from my first corps.. I was very close at ending up at Pioneer.. since i was on that corps cut list i was getting emails until the season started from pioneer. Having met people who march there, and being around them on tour, it is a great group to be around. It's jsut another drum corps, the members there always have a great experience, even though they finish dead last, it's not a big deal to them.

The day Pioneer cuts people because the have more auditionees than spots will be a great day for DCI. I love Pioneer. I like that they aren't afraid to sacrifice placement for tradition... but i also like the new direction that I'm hearing the corps is taking

Pioneer will be moving up.

Go march there... DOOO IT.

It is my hope that some day soon, a kid will get cut from a full Pioneer and will be asking about what other corps he/she might have a chance to make.

That would be a great day indeed!

Glad to see that in the prediction thread hardly anyone is putting pioneer in last place this year

Good luck Pioneer!