Favorite moments of drill simplicity

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Move That has been done in the 2000's.

Old School - anything by the cadets and madison scouts!!!

1978 - 1981 ANY THING YOU CAN THROW @ ME that Spirit Did. Love me Some Spirit!!

The writer THEN?

Gaines is still writing drill for The Cavaliers....

now that ive been informed hes still their writer, ill ask:

why does it seem like their drill has gotten slower or less impressive?

im not saying they dont do impressive things in their drill still, cause they do, but it just seems like they arent all over the field as much as the used to be, imo. :rolleyes:

He could be running out of ideas, the overall talent level could go down and the drill may have to be simpler to still be performed up to par...

Or it's still just as good and you personally don't enjoy it.

I thought Samurai was one of their best shows, though not necessarily best executed. 08 Had some pretty sick drill.

1991 Star of Indiana - Cross to cross

Ducking for air assault for those who can't take a joke. Awesome move though hardly easy.

Here's the sheer and utter GENIUS of George Zingali....if you look at the cross-to-cross, it's really an exercise in old-school SQUAD movements....the squads are various sizes (6-8 people, I think, generally) and they float across the field as the rotate or otherwise move....but taken seperately, the movements of each individual squad really isn't that difficult (well...I'll give it up to the ome mello who was at a sprint on the last couple of moves and ended up at theend of the lower limp of the 2nd cross...THAT guy had it hard!)....it's when you put them all together and see them work as one almost living unit that the grandeur of it comes home.

All of George's spectacular skills came together in that onem spectacular span of time....a most fitting epitath, to have the move mentioned EVERY time someone starts a thread about great drill moves....and it's always near the top.

It don't get much simpler than BD's 89 ballad "If We Were in Love"

A triangle rotated and expanded into a horn block, then the guard simply walked thru.

Simple, stunning, devastatingly effective.

one of the most beautifully staged moments in drum corps. dont forget about the PERFECT wrap up into the triangle, marching it forward on the angle and then rotating it around onto its side that occured right after the blocks. so F***ING classy! :rolleyes::thumbup::lol:

I think it was 2002 - the Channel One Suite drill re-write BD learned in a fearsomely short time - saw it in rehearsal in the Manning Bowl down in Lynn and died laughing.

Big push of 2001 - simple company front that pushed forward to expand for sixteen (dat .. dahhh...dat..dahhh .. da da da DAAAH..do WAHHH)

then repeated the music and the kids reversed straight back to the starting front position - just reversed the tape.

It was the first "company back" I'd ever seen. Simple (kinda silly) but really really cool - very Jay Moiphy...

regards - Jim

- Cavaliers '86. Ballad.

- Beginning of '89 Cavaliers.

Around the beginning of Phantom's 2004 show, the accelerando into the first big hit. Drill-wise, quite simple, just a rotating and shrinking box which then expands and does other stuff, but it works very well with the hit.

I'll add more later, maybe.

And to whomever said late 00s Cavies drill is unimpressive, wat? 06, 08? And 07 had a lot of underappreciated moments, IMO... the first sequence with the gradually appearing form freaked me out like crazy.