Best/Worst/Weirdest fields you've ever marched on.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best: Columbus Crew Stadium. People I marched with actually thought the grass was turf. It is that good.

Worst: Practice field in Centerville, Ohio. My opening set was on a concrete slab, and there were massive chasms with concrete on the bottom of them all over the field. A baritone player had to jazz run through one and sprained her knee.

Best: Tie between University of Toledo Football Stadium and Invesco Field (both have the smoothest grass/turf field that I have ever seen or marched on, period)

Worst: Tie between Pt. Huron, MI (grass that goes as high as your ankles) Show Site and Ogden, UT (right up against the mountains and wont allow you to breath) Show Site

Weirdest: Boise State Univ. Football Stadium (just because the blue on the field matched one side of our uniform perfectly, i loved it)

I marched an unlined soccer field once. that was crazy.

sevierville is an intense field also

Jackson, Wi... A field in a park that had multiple mounds. The stands where two sets of metal, portable bleachers.

To the original poster... Hixon is nothing compared to this field. Marched on that one a little over a decade ago... cho cho classic 95 . Ouch that hurt.

worst-practice, somewhere around Alton is this supposed Junior high that had a field. We practiced there in 97 and it felt like we were marching on the Rumble strips you find in roads before a stop sign. So bad that we attempted a run through and had to stop because so many members were twisting ankles. Plus the guys had one trickle of water for a shower. This field made Allentown (before the field change) look like heaven.

best- Mile High Stadium

Pittsfield, MA was a bizarre experience. Great, enthusiastic crowds...in a baseball stadium. Corps performed in the outfield, but the reception was always great when you trooped the stands at the end of the show along the baselines.

Since 7 of my 8 years in drum corps I rehearsed exclusively on asphalt, I was never too picky when we finally got to the green stuff. (Of course that's easy for the person on the podium to say...)

Cheers!

Karen

Worst: a field at Camp Perry (near Toledo, OH) for an exhibition. It had 6" dia. hole (fence posts just removed?) in many areas.

Weirdest: Cooper (baseball) Stadium in Columbus , OH (I think it has been replaced by a new stadium now): the stands were at an angle to the field, pitchers mound, dirt infield, stands on one sideline and one end.

also odd: in front on the Jefferson Memorial in Wash. DC: Concrete surface, reflecting pool IMMEDIATELY behind back edge, curved performance area, no "yard lines", etc. No one fell in the water...

Absolute worst field I ever marched was in 1976. We did an exhibition in Canada somewhere near Toronto.

The field was used for tractor pull contests, so it was deeply rutted, soft dirt and in the middle of the field was a short, maybe 7 feet high, utility pole with an electrical box on it that we had to march around.