Best/Worst/Weirdest fields you've ever marched on.

worst= somewhere in wisconsin or michigan...but the field had a giant hornets nest catacomb underneath it.. i swear those darn bees were at least 3in long...and prolly hated the noise...those were scary. :sumo::tongue::sumo:

Edited by Bariphonium07

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best stadium to march in? Mile High, Giants Stadium, Marshall University.

Worst? Allentown- I know it's sacralidge to say that, but that old field was one giant pothole, loved the funnel cakes though. Boise State- More than an hour in that stadium would hypnotize you from the smurf turf. And the absolute worst.................. Oberlin Kansas- We spent two days for an exhibition there with the Cadets at the same school. The two corps got to n=know each other and enjoyed their time staying in the same school, but that stadium was awful!!! We had our worst performance that year. The grass in the stadium was 5 inches thick I kid you not!! Even the Cadets who were unreal that year came off the field saying they tore and couldn't keep tempos cause of the grass. The cool thing was the people in the town were the nicest of any place. They grilled for us and then opened their town pool for both us and the Cadets to swim. I just wished they had CUT THE #### GRASS!! Oh well.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

US Open- Marion, OH....horrible...

New Berlin, WI...4th of July show...85, 86, 87. There was a big hill behind the back hash...big hill.

Pittsfield, MA was always a trip.

The best field I've ever marched on was the turf inside the Georgia Dome, it felt like thick carpet

the worst was when my high school got outdoor turf put in and the band got to use it right after they finished it. I swear we dumped pounds worth of those little black beads out of our shoes afterwords.

Edited by thegoods14

Somewhere in Wisconsin for Pioneers show we had half a field and the staff had to stand at the back and yell if we got to close because there was a fence and someones garage next to it. also the field was completely covered in clovers and the grass was almost a foot long.

I believe you're thinking of Sevierville High School in Sevierville Tennessee. UNBELIEVABLE crown on that field, it's almost funny.

We almost couldnt see our drum makor from the back sideline...the crown was that bad.... :tongue:

I believe you're thinking of Sevierville High School in Sevierville Tennessee. UNBELIEVABLE crown on that field, it's almost funny.

Sounds about right. aka rings a bell, aka your guess is as good as mine.

Most memorable field. Wichita Falls. Played E. T. that year and the crowd was so loud, we missed the step off of the next tune as we couldn't hear anything. Complete with the exchange of phone numbers after the show. The only similar situation was exchanging phone numbers at the mile high show in 1989 ( crowd favorite ). Baring that giving autographs at the syracuse show '06. It's not always the show that makes the show, but what happens before, during, and after that makes it all worth while.

The best field I've ever marched on was the turf inside the Georgia Dome, it felt like thick carpet

the worst was when my high school got outdoor turf put in and the band got to use it right after they finished it. I swear we dumped pounds worth of those little black beads out of our shoes afterwords.

Yeah marching on a field that the turf JUST got done... not very fun! 1) millions of tiny black beads everywhere! 2) you just end up black and dirty from those beads. 3) the field is just squishy. If you are a guard member who has to roll or knee or do anything ON the turf, especially when you are sweaty... ehh! In 2005, we marched on a field for rehearsal and then a show that just got done in West Virginia I think. I think they were working on it THAT morning still. That field is probably GREAT now... just bad the day of installation!

Also, Dunn Tire Park in Buffalo. Bad field! It's a baseball stadium that they try to make into a football field. I think the dirt is very orange too... can't exactly remember. And don't forget about the mound.

Edited by beckylynn44