Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

To finish your thought, what can DCI do (that they are not already doing) to cause corps to develop more income streams?

Open Class Show $$

Fake Edit: But then the red-headed step child of DCI would have to be paid

oh noes

Edited by sobe

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open Class Show $$

Fake Edit: But then the red-headed step child of DCI would have to be paid

oh noes

I love reading nonsense like this... it's but one of the things that makes this place so special. Did it ever occur to you that in order for OC corps to get paid, they'd have to actually sell tickets to cover the cost of paying themselves?

the only thing DCI can reasonably do is to set up business seminars, perhaps at the winter meetings if they were expand back, and to encourage corps management (not just the directors, but the whole board) to look at how they can expand in their comminuties not just running a drum corps...the old way of doing business is gone and those organizations who hold on to that idea are dead or dying

Let me put this into an analogy, so everyone can understand:

A drum corps is like each and every one of us. They want to go have fun each summer.

DCI is like the local pool. It gives you a place to play in the summer. It keeps the place clean, offers rules to keep everyone safe, and even sells the hot dogs.

Now if something happens and you can't get to the pool, who's fault is it really? Is it the pool's fault that your car broke down and you couldn't get there? Is it the pool's fault that you didn't get a part-time summer job and couldn't afford the admission?

It's up to each corps administration to run their organization like a business, not DCI.

In my opinion, the only thing DCI could possibly do a better job of (in regards to the smaller corps) is marketing. DCI should probably try to sell that product and build it's audience if it really wants it to be there in the future.

Of course... some might say that's your answer right there.

The Spartans have been keeping all of their members up to date with everything that is going on. Like most drum corps there is a part of the website that only members can access and see, and this has been regularly updated with information so that corps members and their families know exactly what is going on in regards to the corps financial situation and all other issues. So anyone who has given any money to the corps knows exactly what is going on.

And you know this ...how????? :thumbup:

I love reading nonsense like this... it's but one of the things that makes this place so special. Did it ever occur to you that in order for OC corps to get paid, they'd have to actually sell tickets to cover the cost of paying themselves?

Like the WC corps do????

Used to think the biggest difference between DCA and DCI was that age thing. Now I see it's the way the "lesser" corps are treated. What a bunch of crap.

Paying OC corps for the job they do so they (and the Jr activity) can stay alive???? How horrible!!!!

In my opinion, the majority of the Open Class corps that have failed in the past 5 years would have failed even with a higher show payout structure. Throwing money at poorly managed corps (DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that every corps that has failed has been poorly managed, just most of them) is NOT a solution. Give me a break.

In my opinion, the majority of the Open Class corps that have failed in the past 5 years would have failed even with a higher show payout structure. Throwing money at poorly managed corps (DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that every corps that has failed has been poorly managed, just most of them) is NOT a solution. Give me a break.

DCI has substantially reduced the ability of Open Class corps to receive performance fees in 2009.

Hang on the buddy boy..... exactly who is doing the paying to the Open Class corps?

Since their shows bring in little to no revenue they EARN virtually nothing.

DCI, aka The World Class Corps, is struggling with their own revenue shortfalls. To provide greater welfare payments to the Open Class is just not something easily done in today's economic climate.

Now if the Open Class corps decided to drop the watered down contemporary concert literature and works by Finnish a capella groups and provide entertaining shows from June to August, then that would be a horse of a different color, wouldn't it? As long as Open Class corps come out woefully unprepared (or is it whoa-fully :thumbup: ) and provide no connection to the audience, then the market will dictate its success or lack thereof.

Isn't this like DCA where top corps negotiate separately with show sponsors above and beyond the DCA contract? I am guessing the Empire Statesmen don't kick back a few extra bucks to the Sunrisers or Fusion Corps.

The phrase "throwing good money after bad" applies here.

Like the WC corps do????

Used to think the biggest difference between DCA and DCI was that age thing. Now I see it's the way the "lesser" corps are treated. What a bunch of crap.

Paying OC corps for the job they do so they (and the Jr activity) can stay alive???? How horrible!!!!

Hang on the buddy boy..... exactly who is doing the paying to the Open Class corps?

Since their shows bring in little to no revenue they EARN virtually nothing.

DCI, aka The World Class Corps, is struggling with their own revenue shortfalls. To provide greater welfare payments to the Open Class is just not something easily done in today's economic climate.

Now if the Open Class corps decided to drop the watered down contemporary concert literature and works by Finnish a capella groups and provide entertaining shows from June to August, then that would be a horse of a different color, wouldn't it? As long as Open Class corps come out woefully unprepared (or is it whoa-fully :thumbup: ) and provide no connection to the audience, then the market will dictate its success or lack thereof.

Isn't this like DCA where top corps negotiate separately with show sponsors above and beyond the DCA contract? I am guessing the Empire Statesmen don't kick back a few extra bucks to the Sunrisers or Fusion Corps.

The phrase "throwing good money after bad" applies here.

OK, let me rephrase it...

Way I read the post I responded to is this: If an OC corps performs or competes at a WC show they may not got paid (IOW performance fee). Is this true or false....

In the DCA world the Class A corps compete head to head against the bigger corps in the regular season. They are part of the competition at a show and as such they are paid for it. (And they don't have to sell ther own tickets.)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari