Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

Hang on the buddy boy..... exactly who is doing the paying to the Open Class corps?

Since their shows bring in little to no revenue they EARN virtually nothing.

DCI, aka The World Class Corps, is struggling with their own revenue shortfalls. To provide greater welfare payments to the Open Class is just not something easily done in today's economic climate.

Now if the Open Class corps decided to drop the watered down contemporary concert literature and works by Finnish a capella groups and provide entertaining shows from June to August, then that would be a horse of a different color, wouldn't it? As long as Open Class corps come out woefully unprepared (or is it whoa-fully :thumbup: ) and provide no connection to the audience, then the market will dictate its success or lack thereof.

Isn't this like DCA where top corps negotiate separately with show sponsors above and beyond the DCA contract? I am guessing the Empire Statesmen don't kick back a few extra bucks to the Sunrisers or Fusion Corps.

The phrase "throwing good money after bad" applies here.

So what you are saying is that Open Class Corps are not really drum corps, not really worth any performance fees and from your attitude are just not worth it. Wow, arent you something? I guess you have just told all those kids and staff members that all their effort and time is just not worth your time as compared to the wonderful WC corps. I feel sorry for you. I guess you have never marched a small corps or volunteered for the worthless OC corps. Enjoy your WC corps when there are no more OC corps to feed members into the WC.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The double irony is:

#1) When people like myself get slapped around a bit when we say we don't like current DCI shows like we used to. Least I never said DCI corps shouldn't get paid.

#2) Last time I was able to see a Div II and Div III corps the same night was at a DCA show in Reading. The crowd was very receptive to both corps (shut up, watched and applauded) and I'm willing to bet both corps got PAID. Guess regarding OC corps, us ol' Senior corps folks "get" it.

Hang on the buddy boy..... exactly who is doing the paying to the Open Class corps?

Since their shows bring in little to no revenue they EARN virtually nothing.

DCI, aka The World Class Corps, is struggling with their own revenue shortfalls. To provide greater welfare payments to the Open Class is just not something easily done in today's economic climate.

Now if the Open Class corps decided to drop the watered down contemporary concert literature and works by Finnish a capella groups and provide entertaining shows from June to August, then that would be a horse of a different color, wouldn't it? As long as Open Class corps come out woefully unprepared (or is it whoa-fully :thumbup: ) and provide no connection to the audience, then the market will dictate its success or lack thereof.

Isn't this like DCA where top corps negotiate separately with show sponsors above and beyond the DCA contract? I am guessing the Empire Statesmen don't kick back a few extra bucks to the Sunrisers or Fusion Corps.

The phrase "throwing good money after bad" applies here.

Wow, who is this know all, be all, God of Drum Corps??? Does he not know that Open Class had the largest audience ever at last year's semis and finals in Bloomington?

It is just so exciting to read some peoples take on all of this. Since he seems to enjoy the DCA side of things, maybe he just needs to drown himself in more beer and food, sit back and listen to what, maybe 3 or 4 corps in DCA that try to bring new music and ideas to that same old same old too!

Open Class and World Class DCI corps why even bother to continue performing. Just come out, play some old drum corps charts that have been played to death over the years and all will be golden. Forget the education of the members or the fact that the numbers of potential new members in drum corps grow each and every year. Oh and please forget that the main reason there are drum corps out there is to continue the traditions that have been laid before them by those folks who paved the way for us to get to where the activity is today.

I mean, after all, it is all about these so-called DCP know-it-alls here anyway, RIGHT???

DCI has substantially reduced the ability of Open Class corps to receive performance fees in 2009.

this is correct...IIRC (as pointed out previously) open class corps will receive performance fees IF participating in a world class show or a major.

that being said....DCI has practically banned all OC corps from these shows...case in point look at Revo: 1 show in Texas...ONE. they are from texas, FROM texas yet they aren't being allowed to be at any of the 6 TX shows except one, and more than that it's a full world class lineup, so by my memory they should at least be paid, but they won't be able to compete against the corps they will be competing against all year. and you know this isn't a home show for them because again it's a WC event. yes i know Xmen are from TX now, but they're the new kids...revo has always been there. at least let Revolution have a fricken home show...i don't understand the scheduling deities who made this bungle.

its all about being fair and parity, right folks? DCI, are you listening?

No- the DCI fans are speaking loud and clear. They do not go.

Ever been to Div 2/3 (open class) only show with 50 people in the stands?

How about the Division 3 prelims with like 10????

So what you are saying is that Open Class Corps are not really drum corps, not really worth any performance fees and from your attitude are just not worth it. Wow, arent you something? I guess you have just told all those kids and staff members that all their effort and time is just not worth your time as compared to the wonderful WC corps. I feel sorry for you. I guess you have never marched a small corps or volunteered for the worthless OC corps. Enjoy your WC corps when there are no more OC corps to feed members into the WC.

Dude, you must be Sunburned.

I am no fan of DCA at all, just trying to relate to the 3rd baritone guy who was bemoaning the way DCI treats Open Class Corps. It's the same way in DCA, plus beer in the parking lot.

Wow, who is this know all, be all, God of Drum Corps??? Does he not know that Open Class had the largest audience ever at last year's semis and finals in Bloomington?

It is just so exciting to read some peoples take on all of this. Since he seems to enjoy the DCA side of things, maybe he just needs to drown himself in more beer and food, sit back and listen to what, maybe 3 or 4 corps in DCA that try to bring new music and ideas to that same old same old too!

Open Class and World Class DCI corps why even bother to continue performing. Just come out, play some old drum corps charts that have been played to death over the years and all will be golden. Forget the education of the members or the fact that the numbers of potential new members in drum corps grow each and every year. Oh and please forget that the main reason there are drum corps out there is to continue the traditions that have been laid before them by those folks who paved the way for us to get to where the activity is today.

I mean, after all, it is all about these so-called DCP know-it-alls here anyway, RIGHT???

again,, marketing,,,

if the parent organization doesn't care,,,

why should the fans?

How long have you been on the Revolution's management team now?

this is correct...IIRC (as pointed out previously) open class corps will receive performance fees IF participating in a world class show or a major.

that being said....DCI has practically banned all OC corps from these shows...case in point look at Revo: 1 show in Texas...ONE. they are from texas, FROM texas yet they aren't being allowed to be at any of the 6 TX shows except one, and more than that it's a full world class lineup, so by my memory they should at least be paid, but they won't be able to compete against the corps they will be competing against all year. and you know this isn't a home show for them because again it's a WC event. yes i know Xmen are from TX now, but they're the new kids...revo has always been there. at least let Revolution have a fricken home show...i don't understand the scheduling deities who made this bungle.

its all about being fair and parity, right folks? DCI, are you listening?

I am no fan of DCA at all, just trying to relate to the 3rd baritone guy who was bemoaning the way DCI treats Open Class Corps. It's the same way in DCA, plus beer in the parking lot.

well, at least they get beer.....

Well one of us knows very little about how DCA treats the Class A corps as it's very different from what I can pick up from the posts about OC corps. Or did I image seeing the top 3 or 4 Class As at DCA Finals? And how did I miss all those posts about Class A corps complaining about not getting appearance fees. (With the exception of whatever the Cali corps have to go thru at DCI shows.)

Never saw beer in the parking lot at DCA either. In the stands yes and in my hand (on a hot day) Hell yeah.... :thumbup:

Edit: Closest show to me is Chambersburg, PA which started up two years ago. IIRC, both shows had 6 corps of which 2 were either Class A or non active the year before (Carolina Gold). All corps were well supported by the crowd.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari