Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

Funny, I read the entire article several times ( a great story btw) and never once ran across the words bankruptcy, courts, foreclosure or hiding of assets.

Boston's legacy was built on people who knew how to make it with little to no money and lots of honest hard work. I have yet to see anyone refer to the Director of the Spartans as being of similar stock.

Now if there are other shenanigans going on up there (where is all the corps equipment anyway?) thenwho knows what will happen.

http://www.crusaders.com/crusaders/news/ne...ews_item_id=316

mostly the same situation...Spartans are marching this year.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without even reading past the headline i can already point out a flaw with posting this article....1973 Boston Crusaders. i'll read and give my thoughts about the article when i have more time, but DCI was a baby at the time...now they would watch something like this closely and not allow the corps to field IF there is a hint of an unsuccessful season

http://www.crusaders.com/crusaders/news/ne...ews_item_id=316

mostly the same situation...Spartans are marching this year.

Except this was over 30 years ago, and I sincerely doubt that BAC was over 1,000,000 dollars in debt with funds that were misreported and spent in unknown places. That's a lot of zero's. One million dollars.

As far as news goes, nothing is going to come from current members, there has always been a strict no-post policy.

Edited by wickedpissah

That's a lot of zero's. One million dollars.

Hey... somebody had to do it... :laughing:

dr-evil-copy.JPG

I'm conflicted. As of right now, all we know is what's been released in the Telegraph and other State agency sites. While this information is probably all true, I'd like to hope the corps "has something up it's sleeve" to get out of the mess. We really have no idea whether or not they expected this and how long they've been preparing, and it's sad to see at least one young person missing out on a particular drum corps experience because of what's been "heard."

I'm waiting for a statement from the corps before I consider the effort moot, but there's something to be said about the kids and parents still involved. I'm pretty sure they're not being deceived (why? there's enough intelligent parents and members who know what questions to ask after coming across the information we have), so it makes me wonder exactly what answers they've got that hasn't made them bolt for the door.

Again, I HOPE there's something in the mix no one knows about.

You have to be kidding me... This is not hearsay any more. Its the Truth. Also, what could they have up their sleeves? (a million dollars?)

I personally think its smart not to give that organization ANY money while there are so many questions about where the money is going/went. How can you ask people to trust and organization that allowed this type of unethical behavior happen?

You have to be kidding me... This is not hearsay any more. Its the Truth. Also, what could they have up their sleeves? (a million dollars?)

I personally think its smart not to give that organization ANY money while there are so many questions about where the money is going/went. How can you ask people to trust and organization that allowed this type of unethical behavior happen?

I think what whystarwhy was saying was to not hold a ton of stock in the reports we read from the paper. I do not try to judge based on the media, as I have lived first hand every day since the credit crisis started infuriated by so many reports that are just factually wrong. These reports could be wrong to some degree as well, but you can't just throw money at a corps that has "some" degree of problems unless you are sure it is protected, and I am not.

And not for nothing, but my son is way more important than the money. What if he gets going, physically and emotionally psyched about this, and the corps folds before he gets to take that magical field? I would rather we wait or look for a more stable organization to have my son march with.

And this is coming from a Spartan Alum WHO marched the first year the organization made finals in their class (That was 1987 by the way...) I WANt my son to start where I started. I just hope they work it out and he can march there some day.

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

I think what whystarwhy was saying was to not hold a ton of stock in the reports we read from the paper. I do not try to judge based on the media, as I have lived first hand every day since the credit crisis started infuriated by so many reports that are just factually wrong. These reports could be wrong to some degree as well, but you can't just throw money at a corps that has "some" degree of problems unless you are sure it is protected, and I am not.

If you're still in the area maybe you can answer. How good is the reporting from the Telegraph especially when dealing with local issues?

If you're still in the area maybe you can answer. How good is the reporting from the Telegraph especially when dealing with local issues?

Well, I live in Connecticut but I have two children that live with their mom in Nashua, so I am there several times a month. The Telegraph is actually a pretty good paper. And I will say, after reading the initial article and the follow up pieces, they seem to not speculate but only reprot what is told to them by Peter or another board member, and what is in public record as far as the finances and the BK.

As for opinion: None of this surprises me. The LaFlammes treated every person that ever march in that organization with class and dignity, and really took good care of the members. In fact, back in 1987 when you made finals all you got from DCI was a finalist patch. We had an improptu "pizza banquet" in Madison the day after our finals night, and the corps bought us medals to signify the first Spartans group to make the finals. That was just awesome.

But I will also say, I never felt that the corps was "mine", so to speak. I always felt it was Peter's, and what he wanted to do was going to get done. Design, management, musical selections, whatever. That is why we had a bunch of staff leave after '87, and the staff turned over a few times in the following 2-3 years.

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

Well, I live in Connecticut but I have two children that live with their mom in Nashua, so I am there several times a month. The Telegraph is actually a pretty good paper. And I will say, after reading the initial article and the follow up pieces, they seem to not speculate but only reprot what is told to them by Peter or another board member, and what is in public record as far as the finances and the BK.

OK thanks. Have done a lot of work related travel in my earlier days and always tried to read and watch the local news to get an idea of what's going on. Have seen the whole gamut from articles that were hatchet jobs on ceratin people/groups, reports that parroted what the reporter was told up to ones where reporters actually get off their butt and investigate on their own. LOL, have two local TV news broadcasts that show the last two (one just repeats and the other investigates if it helps the ratings).

Just wondering how Nashuas paper fit into that mix. Irony is Nahuas old minor league baseball team is in Harrisburg and they have figured into some of the investigative reports.

But I will also say, I never felt that the corps was "mine", so to speak. I always felt it was Peter's, and what he wanted to do was going to get done. Design, management, musical selections, whatever. That is why we had a bunch of staff leave after '87, and the staff turned over a few times in the following 2-3 years.

I think that back in the day a LOT of corps existed due to a 'cult of personality' in that one person pretty much defined the corps...and put his family assets into it...lived and breathed the corps, so to speak. When that person left...the corps died...or shortly after.