Cadets 2009 to Focus on WSS

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They meet constantly. CONSTANTLY. And if they're not meeting in person, they're talking on the phone or emailing. It is very much a collaborative process.

Ok...that doesnt really answer the question though. What part of 'the pursuit of happiness' was jay bocook's idea? Giving ideas for music is one thing - sketching the storyboard for the show is another. They might be involved with their areas of expertise, but when it comes to the title of 'program coordinator', it seems pretty obvious who has been calling the shots (at least the past two years)

What 'gimmicks'? Narration, micced singing, for 2009 electronics....these are as much a part of drum corps as the mellophones or snares. I don't think 08 worked all that well, but I'd take 2005-2007 as a trio of shows over, say, 2001-2003, in total (even though bits of them are among my favorite moments of those years). Not every show works every year, no matter who is on the design team.

I'd rather the Cadets continue to reach and stretch, even though sometimes it might not work, as opposed to playing it safe.

Sorry, Mike, but to me amateuirsh narration, singing over the hornline, and electronics are not as much a part of drum corps as mellophones or snares. At least they're not in this dinosaur's book.

But I agree with you wholeheartedly that I want the Cadets to continue to push the envelope. It's one of the reason I've been a fan and supporter for so many years. But there are ways to reach and stretch...and there are crutches. I believe the narration and singing have not helped to stretch the activity or their show design at all, but have, instead, diminished the impact of the work that I know those performers are putting into the show they've been given. So push the envelope with a horn show that makes me absolutely gasp at its difficulty and brilliance (and let me hear it by not talking/singing over it), or knock me over with a drill move I've never seen or imagined before. And if you don't have the ability to reach those new heights of excellence with the folks you've got, perhaps it's time for some changes?

Sorry, but they're the Cadets. They've spoiled me. I want to be dazzled by their daring and innovation, and that hasn't happened in awhile.

Karen

What 'gimmicks'? Narration, micced singing, for 2009 electronics....these are as much a part of drum corps as the mellophones or snares. I don't think 08 worked all that well, but I'd take 2005-2007 as a trio of shows over, say, 2001-2003, in total (even though bits of them are among my favorite moments of those years). Not every show works every year, no matter who is on the design team.

I'd rather the Cadets continue to reach and stretch, even though sometimes it might not work, as opposed to playing it safe.

ugh....theres rule # 1 again

Like it = good effect

Dont Like it = gimmick

:laughing:

How much say do they really have in the story / direction of the show??....honestly....

Seems like george is pretty much doing what he wants these days.....

Isn't he also the Program Coordinator? And always has been? Of course he's getting what he wants, lol.

And he knows how to increase his chances of winning. 2009 isn't about stretching the envelope. It's about taking 75 years of experience, and using it to WIN. And WIN BIG. He's had his fun in 2006-8. He almost pulled it off in 2007. Can't you hear the board meetings:

Board Member: George, we let you play with the toy the last three years. We know how to win. Let's win this year.

George: Aww, c'mon! I have great ideas about using music of Bernstien's Dog, and narrating it with the voice of Sponge Bob

Board Member: It's our 75th anniversary. Let's go back to our roots. Let's do what we KNOW works, and pays homage and respect to all of those who have marched here before.

George: FINE! Then we're going to ram WSS down their [DCI community] throats so hard and far, that they'll choke on it.

And then he leaves the meeting, as obsessed as always, focusing on taking traditional WSS + electronics + mics + more talent than they've ever had, and running with it, using little twists and turns. He's a master of manipualtion. What a better vehicle for manipulation than a tool like WSS? It has all of the expectation built in. He'll use all of that expectation to his best artistic advantage.

I can't wait for Cadets 2009.

Ok...that doesnt really answer the question though. What part of 'the pursuit of happiness' was jay bocook's idea? Giving ideas for music is one thing - sketching the storyboard for the show is another. They might be involved with their areas of expertise, but when it comes to the title of 'program coordinator', it seems pretty obvious who has been calling the shots (at least the past two years)

Two?? Try roughly two decades. The guy is one of the best program coordinators in the business. Yeah, some misses in there as well, but he knows what he's doing for sure. But that doesn't mean that every creative idea in the show is his or that he doesn't latch onto the ideas given by these other designers who he's worked with for several years.

ugh....theres rule # 1 again

Like it = good effect

Dont Like it = gimmick

:laughing:

True. A good friend and former teacher of mine used to go on and on about how the Bayonne Bridgemen ruined drum corps forever. All the costumes and schtick and flaunting of convention and tradition. He basically accused them of bastardizing the activity with all those gimmicks. Even when I would bring up how popular they were and how people loved them, he was not interested in hearing it. Curse those Bananas!!! :huh2:

West Side Story again?

Really?

There's a lot of Bernstein left that hasn't been done by anyone out there . . .and I was hoping that's where this show was going.

Word.

Word to the third.

I think what's sadly missing from the Cadets design team is the genius of Zingali and Prime. While I have seen and heard moments in the Cadets show since that era that were wonderful, I have never enjoyed the complete package as much as I did when that tandem was leading the charge.

I thought last year's show design with the "crutch" of narration was terrible. There were some technically wonderful bits of playing and marching destroyed (for me) by the insipid, distracting, annoying and amateurish voiceovers. I had hoped a return to simple, melodic Bernstein would help alleviate the need for the silly gimmicks, but apparently this year's crutch/gimmick will be a piano. Oh joy. If the level of writing and performance is as "high" as the narration, perhaps the jazz piano will sound something like a 10-year old's first recital. Yippee!

Seriously Hop, if you don't have the design chops on staff to write an interesting, complex, elegant, and groundbreaking drum corps show, go out and hire it! Stop loading up the field with this extraneous noise and get some folks who are interested in designing for the activity AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE!

(And here I was trying to start off 2009 in a much more positive frame of mind...)

Karen

Maybe you should log off and stay off this site for a few months so maybe you can get rid of the "old timer's" attitude and then come back with a positive mind. Or at least wait until they put a show together before you start ragging on them. A new year brings a chance for something new to take shape. Try not to judge a book by it's cover.

I'm perfectly fine with them focusing on music from WSS. For one, I love that music and never tire of hearing it. It's some of my favorite music in the world. Secondly, I think it's entirely appropriate given their anniversary season, the return to the Holy Name moniker for the year, and the importance that music had held for that drum corps throughout their history. I know many long time fans would rather hear something else, but I also know that this music is timeless enough that there will most likely be an entirely new generation of drum corps fans who will be turned onto that music because of this show. I'm certainly hopeful that this is the case because I know that was the case with me when I first heard their 1984 show. In that case, it was me falling in love with WSS all over again. I haven't lost one ounce of enthusiasm for this show since they made the announcement. Can't wait.

Yeah I kind of have to agree with this. Bottom line, Madison will probably play Maleguena again someday, Bluecoats will probably play Autumn Leaves again someday, Boston will probably play Conquest again someday....you get the picture.