Raiders Announce 2009 Program

As America stands ready to turn a new page in its history, the Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps looks back to a significant time in our past, as they announce their 2009 show titled “Isle of Hope”. The show highlights the entry of immigrants into America through Ellis Island,...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...3&Itemid=39

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show sounds really interesting! I cannott wait to see/hear it on the field!

The show sounds really interesting! I cannott wait to see/hear it on the field!

Maybe dcp can fix the name of the corps in the title??? :tongue:

Fixed. :music:

THANK YOU!

:tongue:

Excellent selections. Looking forward to seeing this show

As America stands ready to turn a new page in its history, the Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps looks back to a significant time in our past, as they announce their 2009 show titled “Isle of Hope”. The show highlights the entry of immigrants into America through Ellis Island,...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...3&Itemid=39

Never in a million years will I understand how corps choose their repertoires these days. It's almost as though they don't really care if the audience enjoys what they're doing or not. Even if it is really well performed, will anyone really CARE about this kind of stuff in the August heat, other than maybe a few BOA band directors?

Having said that, I wish the kids marching with the Raiders the best. It's obviously not their fault that their management chooses to program these types of self-important shows. My criticism is not just limited to the Raiders, either. The last thing I want to do is go to a drum corps show to watch any A-60 corps do a show like this. Heck, I don't even like it when the big corps do it. At least they're loud enough to make it somewhat interesting. Don't try to educate me, for cripes sakes. Entertain me! Just by the titles alone, I don't really have any interest at all in sitting through this.

The next time the directors of any of the smaller corps complain about no one wanting to get up to watch them at nats on a Saturday morning, they don't need to look much further than this kind of show selection to understand why brunch at the Steak n Shake is a much more tasty option. It doesn't all have to be "Strike Up the Band," "Sing, Sing, Sing," and "Big Noise from Winnetka," but it would seem to me that the more accessible a show is, the more people will support it, and the more youngsters will want to join the group.

Thank you for listening. Again, I mean no offense to the members of the Raiders. I'll still plunk $20 into their fish bowl when I see their trailer at a show, since I won't be sitting in the stands to watch.

Never in a million years will I understand how corps choose their repertoires these days. It's almost as though they don't really care if the audience enjoys what they're doing or not. Even if it is really well performed, will anyone really CARE about this kind of stuff in the August heat, other than maybe a few BOA band directors?

Having said that, I wish the kids marching with the Raiders the best. It's obviously not their fault that their management chooses to program these types of self-important shows. My criticism is not just limited to the Raiders, either. The last thing I want to do is go to a drum corps show to watch any A-60 corps do a show like this. Heck, I don't even like it when the big corps do it. At least they're loud enough to make it somewhat interesting. Don't try to educate me, for cripes sakes. Entertain me! Just by the titles alone, I don't really have any interest at all in sitting through this.

The next time the directors of any of the smaller corps complain about no one wanting to get up to watch them at nats on a Saturday morning, they don't need to look much further than this kind of show selection to understand why brunch at the Steak n Shake is a much more tasty option. It doesn't all have to be "Strike Up the Band," "Sing, Sing, Sing," and "Big Noise from Winnetka," but it would seem to me that the more accessible a show is, the more people will support it, and the more youngsters will want to join the group.

Thank you for listening. Again, I mean no offense to the members of the Raiders. I'll still plunk $20 into their fish bowl when I see their trailer at a show, since I won't be sitting in the stands to watch.

But isn't that the great thing about DCI? If everyone played repertoire like Malaguena every year, no matter how much people love it, they would eventually get sick of it. I know I would anyway. DCI's all about innovation these days, the only course of action is to accept it. I mean imagine if a member of the Raiders were to read your post! You should be ashamed of yourself, obviously you've never heard the old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

But isn't that the great thing about DCI? If everyone played repertoire like Malaguena every year, no matter how much people love it, they would eventually get sick of it. I know I would anyway. DCI's all about innovation these days, the only course of action is to accept it. I mean imagine if a member of the Raiders were to read your post! You should be ashamed of yourself, obviously you've never heard the old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I agree with the mayor to the degree that it might be neat if the OC corps had an audience at finals. One way to do that would be to play shows that were more appealing to the masses. The selections outlined in this thread don't do much for me either, and I also shake my head when I see corps going down this road with their programming.

And, to your question, I would enjoy seeing how different corps interpreted Malagueña. It's a great tune. :thumbs-up:

"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt Hulka