Marching tympani & TimpToms

Jim Nevermann

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...a pair of fixed-pitch bottomless fiberglass "salad bowls". These droopy rigs were featured for a couple of seasons by the Cavaliers and Blue Stars.

And likewise the Milwaukee Mariners and Belleville Black Knights. I understood the concept of them, but not the truncated bowls: sound quality/projection sacrificed for weight, perhaps?

On that point, the 1968 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, under Bobby Thompson's instruction, used a rig made up of two stripped-down, conventional but non-quick tunable, fiberglass bowl tymps [not Ludwig or Slingerland] on a homemade metal carrier, doggedly worn by one person for the annual "Evening With the Corps" standstill stage show early that year.

Later in the season, the same chap carried a presumably lighter weight conventional double bass instead, as part of BSGK's always dead-on clean drumline. http://www.bsgoldenknights.org/album/1968/68drmln.htm

Edited by Jim Nevermann

And likewise the Milwaukee Mariners and Belleville Black Knights. I understood the concept of them, but not the truncated bowls: sound quality/projection sacrificed for weight, perhaps?

On that point, the 1968 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, under Bobby Thompson's instruction, used a rig made up of two stripped-down, conventional but non-quick tunable, fiberglass bowl tymps [not Ludwig or Slingerland] on a homemade metal carrier, doggedly worn by one person for the annual "Evening With the Corps" standstill stage show early that year.

Later in the season, the same chap carried a presumably lighter weight conventional double bass instead, as part of BSGK's always dead-on clean drumline. http://www.bsgoldenknights.org/album/1968/68drmln.htm

Were roto-toms marching rigs used in the mid-70s very much??? I know I've seen a pic of someone using at least one set.

Were roto-toms marching rigs used in the mid-70s very much??? I know I've seen a pic of someone using at least one set.

Muchachos marched a set of roto-toms in '75, as did both Madison and Bridgemen in '76 and '77 (and 78 and 79 for Bayonne). After that, they got relegated to the front sideline.

Were roto-toms marching rigs used in the mid-70s very much?

The Caballeros marched three sets of four roto-toms mounted on trapezoidal shape vertical frame carriers. This comment about them from Cab Alumni Corps drum instructor John Smith: "...in 1977, or 1978 I believe. I understand those were an 'invention' of George Tuthill's, and were so heavy they only used them one season. Most folks said they looked like bicycle wheels on racks, with heads on them!"

• 4 weeks later...
The Caballeros marched three sets of four roto-toms mounted on trapezoidal shape vertical frame carriers. This comment about them from Cab Alumni Corps drum instructor John Smith: "...in 1977, or 1978 I believe. I understand those were an 'invention' of George Tuthill's, and were so heavy they only used them one season. Most folks said they looked like bicycle wheels on racks, with heads on them!"

Erie Thunderbirds used 3 sets in 1976/77

k6.jpg

Edited by Gary Matczak

Muchachos marched a set of roto-toms in '75, as did both Madison and Bridgemen in '76 and '77 (and 78 and 79 for Bayonne). After that, they got relegated to the front sideline.

The Muchachos roto-tom player in '75 was VERY mature if you know what I mean. :lol:

The Muchachos roto-tom player in '75 was VERY mature if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

I taught PR's drumline that year, so I do indeed know what you're talking about. BTW, Spaulding & I marched together in a Wichita corps ten years earlier, so I always thought it was funny that we were teaching the lines of the two arch-rival Illinois corps at the same time.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

I taught PR's drumline that year, so I do indeed know what you're talking about! BTW, Spaulding & I marched together in a Wichita corps ten years earlier, so I always thought it was funny that we were teaching the lines of the two arch-rival Illinois corps at the same time.

Spaulding wrote some great books for us in '74 '75 and '76. I loved playing those parts. Tuthill initially wrote the '77 show but it changed quite a bit by the time we hit the field.

Jim Nevermann said:

"As for the Royal Airs' drumline, I do, now, remember a B&W ad in several issues of Drum Corps News featuring them with Ludwig tymps. Although why their drum instructor Mitch Markovitch [a former Cavie snare] didn't also add timptoms, I don't know."

Jim, I think one reason that the RA drumline stayed with single tenors was because they were one of the few that featured 'snare tenors' very effectively around that time. If you listen carefully to recordings, you'll hear them playing snare-like parts on tenor, using hard-felt mallets, or perhaps snare sticks or wooden tenors mallets wrapped with moleskin on the beads of the sticks.

In senior corps around that time, both Eric Perriloux of the Skyliners, and Les Parks of the Caballeros experimented with snare tenors. Sky actually used them more successfully than we did. I believe Les only tried them for one season with us around 1966 or '67. For that matter, they may not have ever used them on the field during a competitive season.

The RoyalAirs simply weren't around any longer once timp-toms became the norm for most corps.