Marching tympani & TimpToms

Jim Nevermann

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool link Jim!

Timp Toms. Wow, I haven't heard that term in awhile! I was a clarinet player in a small hs and the drumline used timp-tops in the 70s. By the time I came around they had been retired due to lack of talent and suitable back. I was determined unearth those black timp toms and play them. I did play them (badly) but it was my start. Thank God, no slings-it had one of the early slingerland harnesses.

The link was interesting. I had always thought BAC was the first corps to use timp toms. So Des Plaines Vanguard was the first?

I had always thought BAC was the first corps to use timp toms. So Des Plaines Vanguard was the first?

Des Plaines was indeed. Yet there was a link of sorts to Boston. In 1967 BAC stunned the corps world with their homemade, horizontal double bass [two different size scotch bass drums, underside heads removed] expertly written for and played. Up to that year the only multiple drums on one person [that I know of] were timbales, played by probably a total of six corps, nation-wide including, of course, the Caballeros and Muchachos. And the previous year, 1966 --though possibly one corps in 1965-- saw the introduction of different size bass drums.

In early 1968 Ludwig saw a potentially huge new market for expanded drumline instrumentation, and thus created not only marching tympani, but also the logical [and relatively lighter weight] extension of BAC's double bass: timptom trios [14", 16", 20" diameters] to serve as "...a tonal bridge between (single) tenors and bass drums." Happily for Ludwig, both were immediate hits. In Ludwig catalogs and monthly publications of the time, uniformed Vanguard drummers served as the timptom and tympani carrying models... very likely because the Des Plaines suburb was conveniently close to the Ludwig factory. Curiously [in retrospect] NO corps got rid of their single tenor lines for that season, however. So Des Plaines took the chance and made the switch for the 1969 season. I saw them that year and they looked and sounded just SO neat!

Now as to why Ludwig didn't likewise feature the also close-by Cavaliers [Park Ridge] and Royal Airs [Chicago] drumlines with their new equipment in 1968, is a mystery I have no answer to.

Anyone?

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Played horn but rode the drum truck for five years as a way to get to practice and helped load/unload as my "gas money". Thanks Jim, my back hurts just looking at the tymps. Ours had cases made of a black heavy posterboard material (any idea what that was called?). The cases had handles but we didn't trust them not to rip out on the biggest tymps. Corps had a double timp-tom bigger than the one in the pic my first year until we realized the guy carrying it was just about passing out on parades. Saw a vid of the corps in 1970 and it was in use then. Sometime in 1974 the T-T got ditched and we used four tymps (1974) but think they were metal and not fiberglass. Not sure because we painted 'em like every other corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Now as to why Ludwig didn't likewise feature the also close-by Cavaliers [Park Ridge] and Royal Airs [Chicago] drumlines with their new equipment in 1968, is a mystery I have no answer to.

Anyone?

I don't think Cavies played Ludwig at the time. I don't think they switched to Ludwig until sometime in the 70's.

I don't think Cavies played Ludwig at the time. I don't think they switched to Ludwig until sometime in the 70's.

Right. Cavies played Rogers at least from the 1965 through the 1971 seasons and then switched to Slingerland in 1972 when the TDR snares came out.

As for the Royal Airs' drumline, I do, now, remember a B&W ad in several issues of Drum Corps News featuring them with Ludwig tymps. Although why their drum instructor Mitch Markovitch [a former Cavie snare] didn't also add timptoms, I don't know. On the other hand, RA very unexpectedly folded after the '68 season, so perhaps the budget wasn't there for anything more than tymps before the season started.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Anyone?

Cavaliers were still primarily recognized as Rogers endorsers in the late 60s, using Dynasonic snares until they were replaced by TDRs in '73, I think (they marched some Rogers basses through the '75 season). The whole line switched to Ludwigs in '76, and stayed with them until they switched to Slingerland in '79, then switched to Pearl mid-season in '81, and Yamaha in '87.

It was common for lines to carry mix and matched drums from different lines, but it was less common for one corps to be featured as endorsers for more than one brand. Every once in awhile, something got mixed up in the changeover - the '77 Slingerland catalog features a guy in the classic green satin Cavalier uni with their new marching tymp, while Ludwig ran ads that year with the actual Cavaliers tymp line extolling the virtues of their drums.

Edited by mobrien

Many thanks for the clarification, Mo.

Now as to why Ludwig didn't likewise feature the also close-by Cavaliers ... with their new equipment in 1968, is a mystery I have no answer to.

Larry McCormick was trying to peddle his own contraption, a pair of fixed-pitch bottomless fiberglass "salad bowls". These droopy rigs were featured for a couple of seasons by the Cavaliers and Blue Stars.

The BAC double bass setup in 1967 hit the activity like the Star Wars missile defense system, that fall everyone was scurrying to find the next big thing. In 1968 the St Joseph Patron Cadets utilized a set of double tenors and in 1969 the St. Ritas Brassmen utilized a set of triples, these were not factory made. I remember a couple of corps on the east cost using those fiberglass bubble contraptions in 1969.