BOA in danger of "not existing" . . .

Does USSBA hold a Nationals-type deal? I know they have the Southern States Championship (the artist formerly known as Tri-State), and Northern States, but do they have a national competition?

If BOA was to go bye-bye, I think USSBA would be the one to pick up the pieces, but there would surely have to be a nationals competition. I'm sure that BOA Nationals makes some good money, right?

Yes USSBA does have nationals deal. It's been in Baltimore and around the DC Area for the past couple of years I believe. And they have their million other championships also.... but that is for a rant on a marching band thread, lol

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that BOA is now Music-for-All, meaning their scope is much wider than just marching band events, though that is the largest source of their income. The MFA front is mostly in music advocacy, but there is also the Summer Symposium, including the DCI contest in Normal, IL and the concert band and orchestra and educational events. The other organizations and local circuits are almost entirely focused on contest management.

The gap for marching band might be somewhat filled in the short term, but I don't see any other organizations that will take up the slack from an all-around perspective.

Frankly, I know way too many band directors and educational professionals in my area (me included...) that would applaud the demise of BOA (or whatever they are calling it these days)..it has become the tail that has just about broken the dog's neck in marching band. It's unlimited, unbridled approach to the development of what was the marching arts into a multi-diciplinary aural/visual performance art has pushed an escalation of the cost, scope, and complexity of marching programs way beyond what a lot of teachers feel is right in the educational venue. It has promoted the have/have-not mentality which is apparent within the local and regional circuits...where unless you pay the price to have the larger staffs needed to write, teach, and perfect (which is a misnomer, since at BOA, book...not performance excellence....increasingly counts) these shows at the expense of the rest of the instrumental programs, the kids' lives, and the overall reach and health of the scholastic programs.

I remember one of the top educators in our area saying at a conference one time that the competitive band circuits are not about the kids...it was about 'building the reputation of the directors and their programs.' There has been a cottage industry of instruction and designing that has been built upon this sandstone foundation that will probably fight to keep this going...but bluntly, with the emerging economic disaster that appears to be progressing somewhat unabated, there are more important things right now than propping up (no pun intended...lol) BOA.

And I find it curious that the man who started it all with the McCormick's enterprise is making the clarion cry. He stood to benefit by BOA (he did by the sales of equipment); and and he stands to do so again. Interesting...

government bailout anybody?

i dont understand isnt boa highschool marching bands? and i remember in hs that we never did boa because the enterance fee was huge, people didnt take it that seriously, and the wait to get in was years

These are just my personal opinions.

Frankly, I know way too many band directors and educational professionals in my area (me included...) that would applaud the demise of BOA (or whatever they are calling it these days)..it has become the tail that has just about broken the dog's neck in marching band.

We don't share the same opinion here, but I do respect yours. However, I feel if BOA was to go down, it would not be something worth applauding.

Does anyone have figures as to what percentage of marching bands in the nation compete in the BOA circuit?

It's unlimited, unbridled approach to the development of what was the marching arts into a multi-diciplinary aural/visual performance art has pushed an escalation of the cost, scope, and complexity of marching programs way beyond what a lot of teachers feel is right in the educational venue.

I guess the only thing I could state here is that teachers who don't believe in the BOA model probably don't participate in it, which is their right. I also know some very successful directors who don't pay a lot for their marching programs as they still do their own arranging and drill design. Marian Catholic (directed by someone who's been one of my best friends since 1978 because I only lived three miles away) comes to mind...and their band was within .3 this past November of taking second place, outscoring many bands that spent far more on their programs.

It has promoted the have/have-not mentality which is apparent within the local and regional circuits...where unless you pay the price to have the larger staffs needed to write, teach, and perfect (which is a misnomer, since at BOA, book...not performance excellence....increasingly counts) these shows at the expense of the rest of the instrumental programs, the kids' lives, and the overall reach and health of the scholastic programs.

I personally don't know of any scholastic programs whose health are in danger because of what their marching bands are doing. But if there are statistics to demonstrate that, I sure would be interested in being educated. I have seen studies about how music programs benefit students, but I don't remember seeing any studies primarily focusing on marching band members.

I remember one of the top educators in our area saying at a conference one time that the competitive band circuits are not about the kids...it was about 'building the reputation of the directors and their programs.' There has been a cottage industry of instruction and designing that has been built upon this sandstone foundation that will probably fight to keep this going...but bluntly, with the emerging economic disaster that appears to be progressing somewhat unabated, there are more important things right now than propping up (no pun intended...lol) BOA.

There are indeed many things right now that are important to be propped up. But for those who have gone through the BOA experience and feel a desire to help others have the same experience, it might very well be worthwhile to them to do what they can to assure the continuation of BOA.

As for the opinions of top educators, I am well aware there are those who do not believe in the competition band circuits. Others whom I respect and know do participate in such circuits. One often hears more from those who don't believe in something than those who do. I know a few directors who don't participate and they have very good reasons why they feel it's not the best thing to do for their programs. I respect that.

And I find it curious that the man who started it all with the McCormick's enterprise is making the clarion cry. He stood to benefit by BOA (he did by the sales of equipment); and and he stands to do so again. Interesting...

Scott McCormick did not start McCormick Enterprises and Marching Bands of America (the predecessor to BOA); his father did. I marched with Scott in The Cavaliers when he was still in high school. Larry McCormick was one of the first to figure out there was a market for one-stop shopping of equipment for marching bands, and later figured out the desire for video recordings. Many other such companies followed.

I don't begrudge Larry for being very good at capitalism. And his efforts have provided countless band kids the chance to experience some of the same magic that those of us who went through drum corps have experienced for ourselves.

In disclosure, I should mention I have written for BOA at its National Championships for many years, but I've always donated my efforts. This past November, I even stayed at a friend's house because BOA was taking steps to cut housing expenses. Some judges even stayed at the homes of BOA staff.

I look forward to BOA making it through this tough time, as whatever happens to BOA/Music for All might be a roadmap for how drum corps can survive the current economic situation.

Does USSBA hold a Nationals-type deal? I know they have the Southern States Championship (the artist formerly known as Tri-State), and Northern States, but do they have a national competition?

If BOA was to go bye-bye, I think USSBA would be the one to pick up the pieces, but there would surely have to be a nationals competition. I'm sure that BOA Nationals makes some good money, right?

There is a show they call Nationals...the band I arrange for and teach goes to it..this year it was held at Annapolis Stadium.

I look forward to BOA making it through this tough time, as whatever happens to BOA/Music for All might be a roadmap for how drum corps can survive the current economic situation.

Looking at the bottom line for both circuits, wouldn't it be more accurate to say BOA should look at DCI as the roadmap? Or is DCI in this kind of dire financial straits as well?

If (and this isn't directed at you, Michael) BOA does come up short with the money to continue operations, does DCI try to step in and right the ship, creating some sort of merger of DCI/Music For All?

I'm not trying to paint a doomsday scenario here; just that all of these circuits are wound together in some fashion now, and I'm trying to gauge an impact on how it could affect DCI in the long run if it either operated without BOA, or absorbed it.

Could be this will all be water under the bridge anyway, as they've got a few weeks yet to get the funds together . . .