Best corps for a rookie to join

No money isnt burning a whole but the fact i need to buy a car on my own and pay for insurance and other such things would mean i need to do this while i still have my parents to support me(as sad as that may sound)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in reality, most corps are within reasonable distance, depending on the deals, flying can almost be cheaper than driving, especially since gas can be $4/gal almost overnight. (you know that one economic principle that time is money and i forget the technical term, but if your spending 10hours in a car when you could spen 2 in the air, thats 8hours of potential work. thats the one.) my next statement is going against this tho.

ok where was i going with this, oh yea, fly, drive, swim, jog, take a train. there are a lot of ways you can get to places cheaply. even tho amtrack isnt the fastest way to get to where you want to go and it doesnt go everywhere, i would seriously look into that. A)you dont have to drive there, sounds like OP is under driving age. B) you dont spend 10hours being bored and unable to get rest in a car so when you finally get to that camp your a mess C)im fairly sure amtrack isnt expensive D) go march.

i will be a rookie, been cut once, will audition again, if i get cut again, then i go somewhere else, then again and again and again until ive exhausted those options, then i try to fill a hole in the summer.either way ive got close to $5000 2yrs of eligibility, and a fire inside that says i need out of my house over the summer and go far far away.

a real answer to op is, watch shows live, see what you like. learn about those you like and figure out who has similar morals, work ethic, etc. that should narrow it down a lot, then figure out who is close out of them. then go audition. basically figure out who you like and go for it.

question for OP, what do you play?

in reality, most corps are within reasonable distance, depending on the deals, flying can almost be cheaper than driving, especially since gas can be $4/gal almost overnight. (you know that one economic principle that time is money and i forget the technical term, but if your spending 10hours in a car when you could spen 2 in the air, thats 8hours of potential work. thats the one.) my next statement is going against this tho.

You might be referring to opportunity cost, where, in this example, the opportunity cost of flying is the money you would have saved by driving; or, the opportunity cost of driving is the amount of time you would have saved by flying.

Money has a time value but that's another thing altogether, and I really don't like economics enough to get into it.

To the OP:

I'd say that the best corps for a rookie to join would be the corps on the 2008 DVDs that did not march the full complement of performers.

That said, I'm a recovering saxophone player and I had a grand old time starting out in a top 5 corps. I don't think you can go wrong these days, honestly.

I play baritone....and I do have my license however if I did drive to Pioneer for example i would spend one night with family in Illinois then go up the next day

The Blue Devils C corps has spots, However there are some vets in the line. That's the best corps for a rookie, they'll teach you marching techniques and you'll be taught by some of the same instructors as the B and A corps.

I would love to but I live over here in Virginia and I dont have the kind of money to fly out to sunny California, Thanks Though

Can't speak for all, but for me the best corps to join as a rookie was the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Boy, did THEY whip my dumb ### into shape.

Can't speak for all, but for me the best corps to join as a rookie was the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Boy, did THEY whip my dumb ### into shape.

BigDaleAK.jpg