Best corps for a rookie to join

The one that's closest, cheapest, and will take you ...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the 3rd time I've said it in about a month...

JUST

GO

MARCH!

you can never say it enough

i wish everyone who wanted to march would just go march somewhere.

i feel like so many people preach it on here... it's unfortunate that all the people who aren't marching or don't know where to march don't come on here to read what we all preach. It honestly DOES NOT matter where you march. Just march, you will be happy. Maybe you don't like the staff... but why do you think people come back every year. Why did members of the Crossmen before the move stay with them in Texas when the majority of corps to march are closer than there. It is something you will learn once you march. You honestly don't know what you are missing... you need to do it, if you do it, you won't regret it, even if it isn't for you. Trust me. March anywhere, at anytime, if your 10 or 21, if your a tick, if your ######. Just march.

sorry.. i'm done...i'll stop typing.....NOW

What if you have your heart set on one experience, and you don't make it? Well, there is nothing better than experience. Go somewhere easier to get into, then go to the one you want to experience.... What is wrong with that? I mean, sure, the other corps loses you, but how else do you get into the top corps? Sure, you could practice your butt off for years and maybe get 1 year of marching in, but there is no substitute for experience if you wanna make it sooner.

Now of course, if you don't have one in kind, just find somewhere. Yea, it will be fun wherever you go...... but if you have your heart set on one way you wanna perform and one style, what the heck is wrong with going for it?

Edited by crazymello

I want to march anywhere, my location in virginia makes some of the Ohio corps and crown look like good options but i really wanna go somewhere that is willing to work with me (since i am a sax learning baritone) and Pioneer as much as i would like to join them is just a little bit too far even if i do get a ride. And i do apoligize for the stir and i will March...Drum Corps is my dream and im gonna achieve it

I want to march anywhere, my location in virginia makes some of the Ohio corps and crown look like good options but i really wanna go somewhere that is willing to work with me (since i am a sax learning baritone) and Pioneer as much as i would like to join them is just a little bit too far even if i do get a ride. And i do apoligize for the stir and i will March...Drum Corps is my dream and im gonna achieve it

Amen, brother!

In all seriousness, corps are willing to work with you and "coachability" so to speak is a big part of it, but you need to go into your audition, wherever that may be, kicking ### and taking names. You have to do so well, you make it impossible for them NOT to take you.

you need to be able to play a little bit, show up in november and show them what you have. You will probably suck. They will tell you what things to work on. Then in December you show up after practicing what they told you to practice and show them improvement.

Open class corps are used to having some people join without much brass experience. I'm sure any of them would welcome someone with drive and desire.

Here's one right in your back yard:

http://www.shenandoahsound.org/shensound/index.htm

As much as anyone else here is tired of "jumping ship," I'm tired of the attitude against not devoting yourself to one corps for the relatively short window one has to participate. It's simply ignorant to think that everyone is going to stick with one corps: as mentioned, there are thousands of reasons to switch... unhappiness with members/staff is one of them, sure, but so is the desire to compete at a higher level (a natural urge) and the desire to see different corps and experience different ways of doing things while one still can (I don't know how many people besides me feel an overwhelming urge from this, but I certainly do), and I know that personally, for me, it will be a lot cheaper for me to march my "dream corps" than the corps I'm auditioning for now. For some people, it's not the best thing to do to stay with your first corps. It's very ignorant to look with scorn at people who switch corps.

I say this a bit from self-interest as I know I will be switching after my first or second year, but really, the fact of the matter is, not enough of the lower ranking corps attract people to be their "dream corps," for them to say "I'd kill to be a part of that" (or "I'd kill even more to be a part of that than that"... as, personally, I'd kill to be a part of any corps. But that's illegal.). I don't think the problem can really be fixed. In a way, it's just (unfortunate) natural selection: those with the lower scores and less fabulous reputations will get less people auditioning, except for people who need experience to march a higher corps.

Anyway, a :tongue: to the idea of people needing to be "loyal" year after year. It's a performing ensemble, not a military. That's the end of the rant that's been brewing in me for a while.

And yes, to reply to the original topic, it totally depends who you are and where you are.

Edited by Stryfe

I say this a bit from self-interest as I know I will be switching after my first or second year, but really, the fact of the matter is, not enough of the lower ranking corps attract people to be their "dream corps," for them to say "I'd kill to be a part of that" (or "I'd kill even more to be a part of that than that"... as, personally, I'd kill to be a part of any corps. But that's illegal.). I don't think the problem can really be fixed. In a way, it's just (unfortunate) natural selection: those with the lower scores and less fabulous reputations will get less people auditioning, except for people who need experience to march a higher corps.

Anyway, a :tongue: to the idea of people needing to be "loyal" year after year. It's a performing ensemble, not a military. That's the end of the rant that's been brewing in me for a while.

And yes, to reply to the original topic, it totally depends who you are and where you are.

In response to the part I bolded about the problem being fixed: It depends on what you call the "problem." The greater drum corps community will not be served if there are 2-5 super corps and nothing else to march in. In truth, there is no "problem" to fix. When people feel they MUST move on from a corps to a corps they consider more challenging or higher placing, they should go give it a try. Sure, it annoys their friends sometimes, but it's the nature of the activity that a few want to move up faster. Others may wish to remain with a program and see if they can take it somewhere for the future of that corps. That is the "loyalty" aspect of some corps. If a corps can make that environment of loyalty highly engaging and desirable, then they are fixing the "problem."

What bothers me is the attitude from people who have never even marched in a corps that they will just go somewhere and use a corps as a stepping stone. They don't truly know the internal workings of any corps they are speaking about, but they are absolutely sure they won't be given what they need by their starter corps, and that's before they even set foot in the door. That's pretty arrogant, in my book. The good news is that many who start out thinking that way quickly find that they are part of something very special in their "stepping stone" corps, and they stay. And those that move on owe their stepping stone corps a huge thank you for giving them the skills they are using to make it to their next destination.

Actually, anyone who has marched corps at all owes their respective organizations a lot. Dues doesn't even come close to covering the worth of the life skills and experiences you get from just one season of drum corps.

What bothers me is the attitude from people who have never even marched in a corps that they will just go somewhere and use a corps as a stepping stone. They don't truly know the internal workings of any corps they are speaking about, but they are absolutely sure they won't be given what they need by their starter corps, and that's before they even set foot in the door. That's pretty arrogant, in my book.

It isn't arrogance, it is just ignorance (in the literal meaning of the word).

They just don't know what drum corps is about. From the outside looking in with really no other experience with drum corps it is easy to equate "the best drum corps to march" with "the highest scoring drum corps I can make"

When people tell me their big plans for their marching career before they have even attended their first audition camp I just kinda smile and nod and encourage them to do what they think they need to do and quietly sit back and realize they have no idea what they are getting themselves into and how quickly their plans will probably change.