Does this seem weird?

Austin Stars has a full guard and our battery is close to complete.

But we're low on horn players. Is this common?

Any suggestions, recommendations?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not unusual for one section of a corps to struggle numbers-wise. Heat Wave 2005 went through exactly what you're experiencing with full battery, decent size pit and guard right from the start but struggled all year to muster 13 horns.

In my limited experience, having staff onboard who have a talent pool from groups they've worked with to recruit from is a huge factor, especially for a group that doesn't have an established reputation.

Hire staff who understand that their FIRST job,............before writing or teaching a note,...........is RECRUITING!

I totally disagree with that, Gary. It is the administrations job to have a plan of how to recruit, find out where they are able to recruit from and coming up with ways outside the box of getting money to recruit. Then and only then can the hired instructor be of assistance in recruiting. It is about promotion and finance when it boils down.

If an instructor draws to the corps, thats wonderful but I doubt that Wayne Downey spent hours on the phone trying to get people to join Blue Devils or even Brigs for that matter. People wanted to be there for a number of reasons.

Get a plan together as to where there are students and have a promo package to present first, and then you can ask instructors to assist in delivering this information in areas that may yield results. It is unfair to expect your staff to go out and recruit when the administration is first and foremost responsible to get students to WANT to join something they never heard of. Try to make it attractive to people who never heard of drum corps.

It is true that certain instructors may draw people to a corps, but by no means is it their first responsbility to do that. And yes, you may hire someone that has a "following", but that is also not a good reason to hire someone, because the "following" may not like the corps and decide not to do it. Then you may be stuck with an instructor that cannot teach.

And yes, it is very common these days to have a guard, drum line and wondering where the horns are.

Donny

I totally disagree with that, Gary.

Donny

Hey Donny,..............there are plenty of people who will not agree with your assertion here,.................you could have the most talented writers and teachers involved,.........but if the members do not like them, for whatever reasons..........as you said,..........you will be stuck with an instructor who cannot teach, because there is no one there to teach.

Gary

Hire staff who understand that their FIRST job,............before writing or teaching a note,...........is RECRUITING!

I had intended to post the same sentiment as Donny but he beat me to it.

but I dont think you are saying that it is the instructional staff's responsiblity to go out and recruit - that has to be the task of the membership and board. I think you are saying that they must be ambassadors of the corps once they come through the door? If so, I agree.

Getting back on topic.. It happens every year..keep on recruiting.... Get involved with local Bands..Good luck see you on the 50....

I totally disagree with that, Gary. It is the administrations job to have a plan of how to recruit, find out where they are able to recruit from and coming up with ways outside the box of getting money to recruit. Then and only then can the hired instructor be of assistance in recruiting. It is about promotion and finance when it boils down.

If an instructor draws to the corps, thats wonderful but I doubt that Wayne Downey spent hours on the phone trying to get people to join Blue Devils or even Brigs for that matter. People wanted to be there for a number of reasons.

Get a plan together as to where there are students and have a promo package to present first, and then you can ask instructors to assist in delivering this information in areas that may yield results. It is unfair to expect your staff to go out and recruit when the administration is first and foremost responsible to get students to WANT to join something they never heard of. Try to make it attractive to people who never heard of drum corps.

It is true that certain instructors may draw people to a corps, but by no means is it their first responsbility to do that. And yes, you may hire someone that has a "following", but that is also not a good reason to hire someone, because the "following" may not like the corps and decide not to do it. Then you may be stuck with an instructor that cannot teach.

And yes, it is very common these days to have a guard, drum line and wondering where the horns are.

Donny

It's a very nice thing for a corps to have a solid administration team, design team, and instructional team. But, I'm thinking if this corps is small enough to have trouble recruiting people, then there's a good chance that many people within the administration also teach on staff, and work to design the program. When you work for any corps that doesnt pull hundreds of people to open house camp every year, its EVERYONE'S job to contribute to filling the ranks. It would be totally arrogant for a staff member to say "oh, that's someone else's job to fill the section I have been asked to teach." If an instructor is worth anything, they will be happy to commit the time and effort needed to go around to some local schools, band festivals, etc and work to build a respectable section.

but I dont think you are saying that it is the instructional staff's responsiblity to go out and recruit - that has to be the task of the membership and board. I think you are saying that they must be ambassadors of the corps once they come through the door? If so, I agree.

It is everyones job to recruit! If you know someone, you talk to them about the activity and try to bring them to the thing YOU ENJOY, member or staff... no one does it JUST for the money :thumbup:

Everyone is an ambassador once someone comes through the doors, you have to make them feel them welcome... even if its your worst Contra player(or only), Director, your center snare, Low Brass Tech, 3rd soprano, Color Guard Caption Head, or your Soprano soloist... its EVERYONES job to bring a friend... and to welcome everyone to the activity!