Does this seem weird?

It is everyones job to recruit! If you know someone, you talk to them about the activity and try to bring them to the thing YOU ENJOY, member or staff... no one does it JUST for the money :thumbup:

Everyone is an ambassador once someone comes through the doors, you have to make them feel them welcome... even if its your worst Contra player(or only), Director, your center snare, Low Brass Tech, 3rd soprano, Color Guard Caption Head, or your Soprano soloist... its EVERYONES job to bring a friend... and to welcome everyone to the activity!

agreed. I cant think of any instructors I have had the pleasure of knowing who did not include recruiting as 'other duties as necessary', and who brought in members with them.

to the original reason for the thread - it certainly does happen, and is probably more pronounced because of your corps' size and location. "Recruit, recruit, recruit", and I woudn't stop recruiting even in the guard - IMO, you never stop until finals, then you start recruiting for the next year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. I cant think of any instructors I have had the pleasure of knowing who did not include recruiting as 'other duties as necessary', and who brought in members with them.

to the original reason for the thread - it certainly does happen, and is probably more pronounced because of your corps' size and location. "Recruit, recruit, recruit", and I woudn't stop recruiting even in the guard - IMO, you never stop until finals, then you start recruiting for the next year.

Excellent post!

I hate to talk for Donny, as I have never met him, but in support of what he said, I think he would agree with your statement, given his efforts on behalf of Pioneer. I think his initial statement was a reaction to the level of responsibility a staff person should have regarding recruitment, not whether it's a part of the job. Just MHO...he will correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic...I think it is pretty common to be hurting for horns. Look at why the Cascades did not tour last year...a lack of horns. In DCA terms, I remember judging a couple of DCA shows as far back as 1990, and the Sunrisers had a very full (and excellent) percussion section, and less than 30 horns (I think they opened with "Moorside March" that year). A couple of years ago the Bushwackers had a smallish hornline which hurt them against the Bucs, IMO, as what they had was very good, just not able to present the sound they would have wished....esp the trumpet voice.

Austin Stars has a full guard and our battery is close to complete.

But we're low on horn players. Is this common?

Any suggestions, recommendations?

It was the same in 2007. Minus the guard which wasn't actively pursued that year. The choice was made to break up into independent ensembles since a proper ensemble balance couldn't be achieved(12+ drums / 9- horns). And unfortunately only the brass ensemble remained active after a month or so of that.

I wouldn't call it normal for the genre. But in these parts, a 19 man hornline is considered a large ensemble. And we have it a little better than other cities like Houston where there's 7+ full size and active community concert bands. And however many more brass bands, pipe bands, and other more popular or less demanding ensembles. Although we do have our fair share. It'll happen, give it time.

As far as instructors with cult followings. Pluses and minuses. With the hard fast 35 minimum, you really can't risk it. One little issue / drama and you can find your corps below that minimum too easily. If you ever exceed it to start with.

I hate to talk for Donny, as I have never met him, but in support of what he said, I think he would agree with your statement, given his efforts on behalf of Pioneer. I think his initial statement was a reaction to the level of responsibility a staff person should have regarding recruitment, not whether it's a part of the job. Just MHO...he will correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic...I think it is pretty common to be hurting for horns. Look at why the Cascades did not tour last year...a lack of horns. In DCA terms, I remember judging a couple of DCA shows as far back as 1990, and the Sunrisers had a very full (and excellent) percussion section, and less than 30 horns (I think they opened with "Moorside March" that year). A couple of years ago the Bushwackers had a smallish hornline which hurt them against the Bucs, IMO, as what they had was very good, just not able to present the sound they would have wished....esp the trumpet voice.

No you are correct...I reacted to the point of Gary's post because good teachers usually do have a following of sorts. But to me, there FIRST job is to teach. It was the way he worded it that hit the wrong chord with me.

Those that know me, also know that I have always been active in trying to gain membership to any corps, and it hasnt always just been in the brass line. I drove to Long Island to get kids for the Crusaders a few years back. Miost of those kids were drummers! I have never hesitated ONE BIT to be an active PART of the recruiting team in getting new members to join ANY corps I taught.

BUT my first job still was my position I was hired for...teaching the corps.

Donny

I've found that it's easy to talk to people at shows and get them interested enough to at least fill out a contact information form.

I think I need some help in TRAINING staff and members to go out and recruit. I've seen that they have a tough time talking to people they don't know, which I guess is common. I know that Word of Mouth is one of the best ways to recruit, but not having had many people see us perform before this point really doesn't help! We need to get out in public more!

I really appreciate all the feedback so far. What are some things that have been helpful to those of you who are reading this? Or that you think might be helpful?

I know getting out helps, espically in local parades if possible.

Word of Mouth is always good, ask everyone to try to bring a friend!

It is everyones job to recruit! If you know someone, you talk to them about the activity and try to bring them to the thing YOU ENJOY, member or staff... no one does it JUST for the money :thumbup:

Everyone is an ambassador once someone comes through the doors, you have to make them feel them welcome... even if its your worst Contra player(or only), Director, your center snare, Low Brass Tech, 3rd soprano, Color Guard Caption Head, or your Soprano soloist... its EVERYONES job to bring a friend... and to welcome everyone to the activity!

Sean,

I absolutely agree with you, every member of the corps is an ambassador, regardless of their position or role within the corps. Regardless of how big or small the corps is, it all begins with members. Give the members a good experience and you'll be successful.

Lois

Edited by Loiswt

Sean,

I absolutely agree with you, every member of the corps is an ambassador, regardless of their position or role within the corps. Regardless of how big or small the corps is, it all begins with members. Give the members a good experience and you'll be successful.

Lois

PS - Heather "Kalix" Bartlett says hi!

I have to agree with Donny. The job of the instructors are to teach. Making contacts once in a while certainly will help the cause. Generally members join corps because of the style of music being taught or show concepts. I never once went to corps based on who the horn teacher was. I went because the music took me there. I went to the Crossmen because I liked their style and attitude. I had no idea, nor did I care who the instructors were.

The Brigs I believe had great success. Not because of the money, although that didnt hurt, it was because they had a GREAT recruiter. Dave Keck was and should have been every corps dream. I can't tell you the hours and days he spent on the phone. He called me to march with The Eagles, Avant Garde, the Brigs and god knows who else. If the Brigs had horn players at rehearsals, it is because Dave Keck made contacts.

If you want a good turnout. Hire a recruiting director that has a gift to gab and is a salesman.