There's going to be a tie this summer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? That was one of the worst rules I have ever seen. If two corps score a 99.1, or whatever, and end up in first, so be it. What makes one 99.1 "better" than another 99.1?

I think you can make the argument that if there is a tie, and you go by the ordinal system to see which corps won the most sub-captions, it makes sense. There are a lot of people who like a finite, black/white answer when it comes to competition: plenty of people who don't like ties, don't like grey areas, etc.

If you want to make the argument that DCI is a musical/life educational thing that revolves around music performance, then sure: a tie is a tie and who cares if two corps get to share the glory of a tie.

But if you want to make the argument that DCI is a competitive "sport" type of thing ("Marching Music's Marjor League"), it is rare for a tie to occur in sports (unless your a Liverpool football fan this year :laughing: )

But if you want to make the argument that DCI is a competitive "sport" type of thing ("Marching Music's Marjor League"), it is rare for a tie to occur in sports (unless your a Liverpool football fan this year :laughing: )

Or Donovan McNabb...

mcnabb.jpg

Why? That was one of the worst rules I have ever seen. If two corps score a 99.1, or whatever, and end up in first, so be it. What makes one 99.1 "better" than another 99.1?

. . .because if you bill yourself as "Marching Musics Major League" and equate your Finals as an equivalent to a sporting event championship of some time . . .well, ties don't happen at the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup or anywhere else that is a "World Championship".

The ordinals system was fair . . .he who has the lowest subcaption scores is the winner.

I guess we can just forgo score completely though: maybe in the future we can give everyone a perfect 100 and a participation trophy for competing participating in the Band Corps Grand SuperMega Up With People Extravaganza. :laughing:

I'm glad the tiebreaker is gone. Drum Corps is an offence-only game. It's not like football where one team's actions affect their head-to-head opponent's. I've used this expression before, but to me, it's no different than if two-sprinters ran the exact same time in a race. Would you award one a victory by virtue of having cleaner shoes?

If a bunch of judges, working independently, happen to come up with the same score, then so be it. I think awarding a championship to the highest scoring participants, whether it's 150, 300, or even 450 of them, is a higher priority than some fans' unwillingness to accept that it's not just one corps at the top.

I must admit, I've never understood the hatred some have for ties... especially in a competition as subjective as this is.

Wait, I'm confused .... I thought that whatever rule the BOD saw fit to pass was forever wise and in the best interests of the activity ... And that even suggesting that one of those rules be reversed is "backwards thinking" and "a waste of time" .....

I'm glad the tiebreaker is gone. Drum Corps is an offence-only game. It's not like football where one team's actions affect their head-to-head opponent's. I've used this expression before, but to me, it's no different than if two-sprinters ran the exact same time in a race. Would you award one a victory by virtue of having cleaner shoes?

If a bunch of judges, working independently, happen to come up with the same score, then so be it. I think awarding a championship to the highest scoring participants, whether it's 150, 300, or even 450 of them, is a higher priority than some fans' unwillingness to accept that it's not just one corps at the top.

I must admit, I've never understood the hatred some have for ties... especially in a competition as subjective as this is.

I'm also thinking about what it would be like to be the first corps to come in second place with the highest score. I think I would go buy myself a ring :laughing: