Advice on Holding Horn

superdonndonn

I'm getting acquainted with forum lingo...ergo...ummm..."I resemble that remark"

Hey Toots, I saved a photo YOU posted: 1978-aag-horns2-a.jpg

If you'll repost it here our readers can see Girl Corps Grip applied to a P-R baritone.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Toots, I saved a photo YOU posted: 1978-aag-horns2-a.jpg

If you'll repost it here our readers can see Girl Corps Grip applied to a P-R baritone.

a chronicle with some stats ‘cause i taught m&m/guard most winters in the 70’s for 7 groups of which 2 were all girls (ventures & aag)…eag-1966-1969 as marching band, then a split to 2 all girls group in 1 city, 1970-1980 aag as a drum corps, 1977-1988 aag as a winter guard, 1988-1991 aag as a stage band, 1992-2004 aag as a show band. Eag also had drum corps and winter guard but i don’t know their chronicle. Highlights-aag had Jr. (avg. age 13) and Sr. (avg. age 16) corps for 8 years. In 1974 there were 125 members in Jr. and Sr. = 250. In 1975, 535 local girls auditioned. Mike Duffy was aag’s music director for 6 years including 78. My 78 photo below may be a rehearsal or audition, a new member, maybe 11 or 12 years old and learning to read music as they all did. Btw, of the 11 summer seasons i marched in drum corps, 6 as drum major, I can’t imagine how many times I may have said, “HornsUp” :-)

edit: oh...toots...i like it, flattered...been decades since someone called me toots :-)

1978-aag-horns2.jpg

Edited by lindap

1978-aag-horns2.jpg

Just depends on how YOUR corps did it--thumb/ thumb or thumb/ 1st finger. Our corps was taught thumb/ 1st finger, because it looked cleaner (the staff came from Marion Cadets). I was a contra, so was taught thumb/ 2nd finger! :thumbup:

You could see some corps with younger horn players still using this upside down grip in the '80's, with their 2 pistons. Troopers come to mind as one example. I am sure there were more.

I was taught thumb/first finger,,, on sop,,, mello, bari..

on contra it was thumb /2nd finger

but i see you, in your pic,, are doing the look ma no hands grip on that contra..

but i see you, in your pic,, are doing the look ma no hands grip on that contra..

No doctor, that is a early 80's 2v, so it does not count!

i see you, in your pic,, are doing the look ma no hands grip on that contra.

"Valves??? We don' need no steenkin' valves !!!"

ah,, practicing Cavies note bending,,,, good ,, very good...

Westshores Bari line was about evenly split on thumb/first finger until we got a new asst horn instructor who got PO'ed that us "thumb users" were wrong. He then had the thumb users (like me) run thru the start of "Granada Smoothie" (16 note runs) to "show" that it was impossible to use the thumb that fast.

When everyone played it clean his jaw hit the ground.....

Then we clued him in that this was the second year for the song so half of us were used to playing it "wrong" (but cleanly) and it was too late to change now. :thumbup:

"Valves??? We don' need no steenkin' valves !!!"

Yep Kenny, and unless some joker writes me a Db, I'm OK!