Casa Bonita

Having grown up in the Denver area, Casa Bonita is the place of legends. My parents got so sick from the food the first time we ate there. They never went back, so I had to bum a ride with a friend and their family to get my Casa Bonita fix. We didn't eat, just ran around soaking in all that is Denver's little Mexican paradise. It's sensory overload for a child that is in elementary school.

As for the quote which I'm not afraid to post, may be one of the funniest things I've ever read.

As one of my colleagues put it, it's like Disney had s*x with Tijuana and left the goofy-looking b#####d to fend for itself in a random strip mall on Colfax.

If you know Denver, Colfax is let's just say quite infamous.

Edited by Whiskey

Having grown up in the Denver area, Casa Bonita is the place of legends. My parents got so sick from the food the first time we ate there. They never went back, so I had to bum a ride with a friend and their family to get my Casa Bonita fix. We didn't eat, just ran around soaking in all that is Denver's little Mexican paradise. It's sensory overload for a child that is in elementary school.

As for the quote which I'm not afraid to post, may be one of the funniest things I've ever read.

If you know Denver, Colfax is let's just say quite infamous.

I loved that quote too! For someone who ventured there with drum corps, back in the 70's... Back then, the food didn't seem that bad compared to what we ate on tour. It was a hot meal and the sopapillas were great. Having been there since I moved here, the food reminds me of Taco Bell... but, the sopapillas are still good. It is a trippy place to go to and I have fond memories of running wild through the caves, watching the cliff divers and the gorilla! Fun place...

Went to Casa Bonita back in 75 when we were visiting Denver - Loved the Cliff Divers, hated the food.

Then I moved here in 93 - ate there again once, never went back.

The really good Mexican places here in Denver are Benny's on 7th and the Blue Bonet

on South Broadway. Superb food and atmosphere at both places!

Being a native of Denver, I can tell you Casa Bonita has some of the worst mexican food you'll find. Bland and unimaginative is the 1st couple of thoughts that come to my mind when somebody mentions this place. That said, they will bring you all the sopapillas you can eat and that alone may be the only decent item on the menu. But it is popular with youth ball teams and clubs and for some reason, the locals will take their out of town guests there. I'm sure it has more to do w/ the cliffdivers and marachi bands and the caves and such. I guess another reason that corps will go there is they can seat 500 or so folks at a time and it's simple to find. But if you are ever in Denver and want really good mexican food, try Chihuahua cafe on S. Federal across from Lincoln HS, Benny's Cantina on 7th and Logan on Capitol Hill ( though a little trendy) and Tamale Kitchen on Morrison road just west of Sheridan. The latter has no ambience whatsoever, but it is impossible to go in there w/o a dozen people waiting in line to order. And they are open 24/7 on the weekends. Honorable mention to Mexico City on Larimer two blocks from Coors Field, but they have changed ownership lately so beware...

Went to Casa Bonita back in 75 when we were visiting Denver - Loved the Cliff Divers, hated the food.

Then I moved here in 93 - ate there again once, never went back.

The really good Mexican places here in Denver are Benny's on 7th and the Blue Bonet

on South Broadway. Superb food and atmosphere at both places!

Try the Las Delicias on Conifer (i-25 and US 36). We loved that place.

Yup, Las Delicas is great also ( all their locations) as is the Bluebonnet, but as an investigator, I have had access to their kitchen and I stopped going there and I'll leave it at that. As in nearly every city, you gotta go to the hood a little to get the good stuff!

I was going to mention that also - the owners have 3 locations and one is a block from

my apartment in Glendale. Great food! I haven't been up to the Conifer location though.

If you are in Denver and want good Mexican food, leave Denver.

What are you talking about? There's some fantastic Mexican cuisine here! In fact, it's one of only three or four places in the country that has really good Mexican food, as far as I'm concerned.

If you are in Denver and want good Mexican food, leave Denver. If you want bad food and an unforgetable experience, go to Casa Bonita.

I kind of agree with that statement. For my family having moved from New Mexico to Denver, it was a little weird dealing with Denver's Mexican restaurant scene. Las Delicias as some of you have mentioned was one of those spots we enjoyed. We eventually found some great establishments for Mexican food, but it doesn't compare to the chili you get in New Mexico.