Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

And G and Sally, now I know why we only won best Guard at DCI Nationals 4 out of the 5 years I marched. We missed our dance lessons that one year! You'll have to excuse me, it's been a long day and I don't mean to talk like this...I'll probably edit it out in a little while!

Nancy:

Or maybe it was because you used the time spent on dance to CLEAN THE EQUIPMENT WORK....

You think? You reckon?

b**bs

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And G and Sally, now I know why we only won best Guard at DCI Nationals 4 out of the 5 years I marched.  We missed our dance lessons that one year!  You'll have to excuse me, it's been a long day and I don't mean to talk like this...I'll probably edit it out in a little while!

Nancy:

Or maybe it was because you used the time spent on dance to CLEAN THE EQUIPMENT WORK....

You think? You reckon?

b**bs

That's what I was thinking Sally! B)

You know, we did alot of spinning near the wall also. Kept our spins "in plane".

Also learned that, if you tightened the abs, you could stand still with one leg in a high mark time without wavering. Always taught to keep the abs tucked and the "cheeks" tight...roll the feet outside to inside (and heel to toe) and you could carry a glass of water without spilling. I STILL do that when carrying a liquid! Heh heh heh.

Not one of those things did I learn in dance lessons.

good thing it wasn't like that back in our day! I would be sitting in the stands instead of performing on the field!

Malibu:

You know, I thought so too, at first.

I do have dance background and catch on VERY quickly to things, so, after thinking it over, I probably could have made it. After all, in college I was in both the guard and the drill team, which was a VERY elite group. They had 50 members but only the "fabulous 32" marched, both football and basketball season. I did guard during football season and guard/drill team during basketball season.

Aren't you impressed...? ^0^

good thing it wasn't like that back in our day! I would be sitting in the stands instead of performing on the field!

Malibu:

I do have dance background and catch on VERY quickly to things, so, after thinking it over, I probably could have made it. After all, in college I was in both the guard and the drill team, which was a VERY elite group. They had 50 members but only the "fabulous 32" marched, both football and basketball season. I did guard during football season and guard/drill team during basketball season.

Sorry, I remember what our summer drill teams did around Boston at shows almost every week end in the CYO and AL circuits. Is that the same thing?

What did college drill team entail, if you don't mind!!

Nancy

Edited by LancerFi

Malibu:

Oh my! SALLY DANCING??? :P

In my last year in corps, we did do an exhibition for the winter months to Donna Summer's "Last Dance." It did have a lot of dance moves in it.....very expressive and fun to do! In fact I still remember a lof of it!

In Buc's they hired a professional dancer to come in and work with the guard on dance.....now this was 1982! There were some members in the guard who had a dance background, then you had some like me who just winged it! b**bs

What did college drill team entail, if you don't mind!!

Nancy

All Hail Queen Nancy!

We did alot of jazz...complete with "character shoes", which, incidentally, are GREAT to wear for street shoes. Comfortable, easy to walk (and dance!) in. Danced "Broadway" kind of stuff...danced to pep band music...we wore spangly (but not all sequins, which make one look like a whale) bodysuits...with tan hose and tan "character shoes"...makes your legs look like they're 5 feet long! And since I'm only 5'-3"...I loved it!

It was a glamour fest, as opposed to guard, which was out-and-out sweat, but I did like doing both!

See, so I'm not COMPLETELY anti-dance!

Edited by SBrancheau

funny story......

in 1983, Two GSC arch-rivals, Fantasia III and Patriots decided to merge into a "supercorps" ......

When we met up for practice, it was suprisingly pretty good...the corps was near full. After a few weeks, some people left but in the early months of 83, we were pretty full...the guard was huge...over 20 flags, and 12 rifles......I was one of the rifles......We had a solid, talented instructor,a guy from the corps that was also the captain of the NY Royal Guardsmen.. He was a great teacher, talented, could do all the Lancer work from EVERY year (thats true Nancy) and was just plain awesome ....well.....the irony of the stroy is that the administrative staff thought we needed to evolve and add dance to our show...so they added a woman from Conquest, and brought in actual dance instructors........Our rifle line went from 12 people to 4 people in a week......thats how it stayed........Our Instructor from NYRG left and marched with the world champion DCA Sunrisers.......we learned to dance and made class "A" finals in Miami....and the advent of dance killed our corps in many ways.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

B) Ok hearing this idea of CGI seems kind of archaic to me. But if there is an interest in it I will support it. And I am sure I will check it out.

I have been a color guard designer for 12 years now and I like the way the activity has evolved on the field and on the court. I do not always agree with the way the judging system changes rewards certain aspects as opposed to others, but it is an evolving as the activity does. I do believe though, that color guard in general is ready for another evolution jump. Hearing about CGI though, I think this will be a division of interest, not a path the activity will follow.

Limitation such as I read here can actually be used as a creative device. If looked at from a design stand point it can be used to push another envelope. I just dont know how long and how wide of an appeal it will have. Such limitations are something as a designer I may choose myself or as a team to work with. But when facing parameters I will never be able to break out of, how much will I want to stay within that realm CGI.

I look forward to seeing how this takes off.

Good Luck,

Jim