"Star of Indiana Situation"?

Sure, there were "conspiracy theories" around Star's departure, but those have all been easily disproven over time.

What resonated then and still stings today are the feelings of the membership/alumni around that decision. The fans (some of them) were disappointed, and I believe the overall quality of the activity was diminished by the absence of a top corps (although certainly the ranks of other corps did benefit). But the outrage and disappointment of the alumni - many of whom came to form Star in the belief that the geographical area could/should support a top corps AND that the corporate sponsored model was something worth exploring - was strong then and continues today. As an original member of Star, I can tell you personally that leaving DCI was a decision I didn't support then and I still believe was categorically the wrong choice many years later.

I, however, don't hold DCI or anyone within the DCI organization even remotely responsible for making or influencing that decision.

Karen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor horsie ... poor, poor horsie.

Why? Someone who didn't know the story posted a question on a discussion group and they get flamed. Yeah, people involved with the corps may be sick of hearing about it but does that mean no one should ask? I used to volunteer at a car show and get asked the same questions a few hundred times a day. Did that mean people were stupid? No it meant hundreds of different people want to know the same thing. (Even if a big question was "Where's the bathroom?)

Not a slam at you personally but I just don't get it.

So, if we could get back to this thread's original question, assuming that we can start from a base point of fact: Star was a drum corps that chose to take it's toys somewhere else to play...

How is the "Star situation" a failure of DCI?

So, if we could get back to this thread's original question, assuming that we can start from a base point of fact: Star was a drum corps that chose to take it's toys somewhere else to play...

Simple answer: it's not.

Check the "Has DCI been a success or failure" thread. The "Star of Indiana Situation" was in the O.P. as a talking point. OP'er here asked on the other thread and no one answered.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t=0&start=0

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I don't mind that these subjects come up from time to time. There are new people on board the DCI "train" and they are learning a lot about the activity through DCP. Sometimes I think we have to reintroduce themes and topics to help in that education and to keep the younger members up to date. Certainly the FAQ section helps, but it's not everything.

I am no expert on the entire Star of Indiana story, but I know enough to share some thoughts.

At no point would I call Star of Indiana a mistake to DCI or in any other way. Although there time with DCI was brief, and as much as many of us miss them to this day, they served the activity in a big way, entertained many folks, innovated when they could, challenged their members, and brought a very unique style of performance to an activity that sorely needed it at that time.

Their first competitive year was 1985. The Disney show they did that year was extraordinary and, for those that saw it live, still brings lots of memories. Pink uniforms, great arrangements, the singing of MOUSE, and so much more. If you read that off to people then or now, they would think the show was cheesy and childish, but in reality the show was amazing and well performed. They finished in 10th place in their inaugural season (never done before).

In 86 they gave us E.T., Star Wars, and Close Encounters like we had never seen before. In 87 they gave us a Circus like never before, with jugglers, Elephants, and great music. In 1988 we were treated to Porgy and Bess by Gershwin, and the show was truly classy. In 1989 they explored British wind music with a new look and new sound.

The Star of Indiana that is commonly referred to here on DCP tends to encompass the years 1990 - 1993. During this 4-year stretch, Star would finish top 3 each year, with 1 DCI World Title in 1991, and 3 straight semi-final no. 1 seeds heading into finals competition (1991 - 1993). During this stretch of time Star was as dominant as any corps could with the exception of number of championships. But in terms of sheer wins, they were amazing. In addition, they took high brass (solo or tie) in each of those 4 years. Their 1991 show is one of the most demanding and spectacular shows a corps fan can watch, and their 1993 show truly pushed the envelope and introduced many concepts that today's corps continue to work with.

Whatever the reasons were for Bill Cook to start this corps, the clear FACT is that he did so with great skill, management, and he hired some of the best minds in the activity (many from old Garfield). Cook's management skills and funding practices would become a lesson to all DCI corps that the future needed change, that the old ways would soon become obsolete due to economic conditions and new laws. Cook was instrumental in helping DCI and many corps with these changes, with new management practices, with new ways to fund and operate a corps safely and successfully, which as we all know is not easy these days. He was instrumental in helping DCI fund their telecast with PBS on several occasions, and has even loaned Star buses to corps that have run into problems during the season.

Given the creativity, talent, and desire of the amazing staff that he had acquired, it was clear that they were looking for a new challenge and perhaps to try something different under the drum corps umbrella. The plans for the 1994 Brass Theater project really began in 1993. Keep in mind that Cook and Star has some of the very best instructors and creators and he sensed that they could make a transition to something that might open new doors, new ways, and perhaps bring new performance opportunities to youth in the arts. It worked. Brass Theater with the Canadian Brass was an amazing show and was often coupled with larger DCI events. They drew big audiences and they exposed people to a new look, sound, and style of indoor performance. This project took a monumental turn towards Broadway a few years later and ended up winning 2 Tony awards. I constantly meet new students who have first been exposed to drum corps-like principles and the marching arts through the Blast! production. The show is stunning, and although it may now be waning some, there is no doubt about its success and what is has done for drum corps and marching band. The show made a lot of people aware of this style we like to refer to as the "Drum Corps Style."

In my mind, Star's time as a Drum & Bugle Corps was magical, and as much as we miss them today, they left the activity for the right reasons. They were one of the few, perhaps the only corps, that could. They had the resources, the talent, the instruction and creation, and they had Bill Cook. DCI's loss on the field was its' gain off the field, and we should all be thankful.

Should they have won in 1993? Yes. The Cadets were good...REAL GOOD, but that was not their year. I thought Cadets should have won in 1992. Regardless of rankings, Star did not leave because they came in 2nd in 1993, as some rumors have them picking up their toys and leaving. They left because they had the unique opportunity to pioneer in a way none other could. But I shall always remember the first time I saw that pink corps take the field in 1985, and that show was only the beginning of the MAGIC they gave the activity for 9 years.

BTW, my favorite Star show--1990. WOW!!!

JW

I don't mind that these subjects come up from time to time. There are new people on board the DCI "train" and they are learning a lot about the activity through DCP. Sometimes I think we have to reintroduce themes and topics to help in that education and to keep the younger members up to date. Certainly the FAQ section helps, but it's not everything.

I am no expert on the entire Star of Indiana story, but I know enough to share some thoughts.

At no point would I call Star of Indiana a mistake to DCI or in any other way. Although there time with DCI was brief, and as much as many of us miss them to this day, they served the activity in a big way, entertained many folks, innovated when they could, challenged their members, and brought a very unique style of performance to an activity that sorely needed it at that time.

Their first competitive year was 1985. The Disney show they did that year was extraordinary and, for those that saw it live, still brings lots of memories. Pink uniforms, great arrangements, the singing of MOUSE, and so much more. If you read that off to people then or now, they would think the show was cheesy and childish, but in reality the show was amazing and well performed. They finished in 10th place in their inaugural season (never done before).

In 86 they gave us E.T., Star Wars, and Close Encounters like we had never seen before. In 87 they gave us a Circus like never before, with jugglers, Elephants, and great music. In 1988 we were treated to Porgy and Bess by Gershwin, and the show was truly classy. In 1989 they explored British wind music with a new look and new sound.

The Star of Indiana that is commonly referred to here on DCP tends to encompass the years 1990 - 1993. During this 4-year stretch, Star would finish top 3 each year, with 1 DCI World Title in 1991, and 3 straight semi-final no. 1 seeds heading into finals competition (1991 - 1993). During this stretch of time Star was as dominant as any corps could with the exception of number of championships. But in terms of sheer wins, they were amazing. In addition, they took high brass (solo or tie) in each of those 4 years. Their 1991 show is one of the most demanding and spectacular shows a corps fan can watch, and their 1993 show truly pushed the envelope and introduced many concepts that today's corps continue to work with.

Whatever the reasons were for Bill Cook to start this corps, the clear FACT is that he did so with great skill, management, and he hired some of the best minds in the activity (many from old Garfield). Cook's management skills and funding practices would become a lesson to all DCI corps that the future needed change, that the old ways would soon become obsolete due to economic conditions and new laws. Cook was instrumental in helping DCI and many corps with these changes, with new management practices, with new ways to fund and operate a corps safely and successfully, which as we all know is not easy these days. He was instrumental in helping DCI fund their telecast with PBS on several occasions, and has even loaned Star buses to corps that have run into problems during the season.

Given the creativity, talent, and desire of the amazing staff that he had acquired, it was clear that they were looking for a new challenge and perhaps to try something different under the drum corps umbrella. The plans for the 1994 Brass Theater project really began in 1993. Keep in mind that Cook and Star has some of the very best instructors and creators and he sensed that they could make a transition to something that might open new doors, new ways, and perhaps bring new performance opportunities to youth in the arts. It worked. Brass Theater with the Canadian Brass was an amazing show and was often coupled with larger DCI events. They drew big audiences and they exposed people to a new look, sound, and style of indoor performance. This project took a monumental turn towards Broadway a few years later and ended up winning 2 Tony awards. I constantly meet new students who have first been exposed to drum corps-like principles and the marching arts through the Blast! production. The show is stunning, and although it may now be waning some, there is no doubt about its success and what is has done for drum corps and marching band. The show made a lot of people aware of this style we like to refer to as the "Drum Corps Style."

In my mind, Star's time as a Drum & Bugle Corps was magical, and as much as we miss them today, they left the activity for the right reasons. They were one of the few, perhaps the only corps, that could. They had the resources, the talent, the instruction and creation, and they had Bill Cook. DCI's loss on the field was its' gain off the field, and we should all be thankful.

Should they have won in 1993? Yes. The Cadets were good...REAL GOOD, but that was not their year. I thought Cadets should have won in 1992. Regardless of rankings, Star did not leave because they came in 2nd in 1993, as some rumors have them picking up their toys and leaving. They left because they had the unique opportunity to pioneer in a way none other could. But I shall always remember the first time I saw that pink corps take the field in 1985, and that show was only the beginning of the MAGIC they gave the activity for 9 years.

BTW, my favorite Star show--1990. WOW!!!

JW

Thank you for the kind words regarding the 85 show, and I agree with you completely about the 1990 show - my fave, too.

While I respectfully disagree that Star left for the "right reasons", I think you've done a fine job helping to bring the OP up to speed with a good Star history.

Again, not sure how any flavor of a "Star Situation" with any facts involved sheds a negative light on DCI. While I personally think DCI has been a success, I wouldn't subscribe any pass or fail grade to their involvement with Star's departure. That was strictly a decision made by the "powers that be" at Star.

Cheers!

Karen

My point in the other topic and mentioning Star was kept vague, because I did not want to discuss the Star of Indiana situation and all the rumors, etc.. behind it, like we have in the past.

Why do I list it as a failure of DCI?

Where did DCI go right after that? Into argueably the worst struggles DCI faced, in the late 90's. It really hasn't bounced back from that since then, but only leveled off the drop-off. Again, I am talking about in an operational sense of how the organization has grown. Entertainment value, design, etc...is moot. Maybe I should have called it the Star of Indiana era instead of the Star of Indiana situation. My question is this?

Shouldn't DCI have been set up nicely for the future after 9 years of Bill Cook? Why did DCI face struggles so quickly after Star and Bill Cook left? I just don't see where DCI took advantage of a brilliant businessman and applied it to their organization. Basically, DCI should have learned a lot on the business end of the model and I fail to see that. You can argue that Bill Cook might have been what kept DCI alive at the time.

Was there a power struggle of ideas between Bill Cook and DCI? Blast! is great and all and I understand them wanting to do that. IMO, that has nothing to do with why Star left. Look at corps today. They are doing things along the lines of what Star did (in regards to creating Blast!) and they still maintain a junior corps. Butm we will not know the real answers behind all of that, but I find that very interesting, to say the least.

I was lucky enough to see Star grow from thier first season to thier last. 1993, you had to see it live, hands down way ahead of it's time, they should have won by more than a point that year. You can blame DCI for many things, but the only thing I blame them for it that the judges got that one wrong that year.

Bill Cook, I had the pleasure of meeting him a long long time ago and still speak with him to this day. He is a brilliant business man, and may have been able to help DCI with some better fiscal ideas and business plans, but don't think that Star was going to "save" DCI.

Do we really need Star back in the activity? It would help, but DCI has survived since they left.