WHAT were they thinking about?

Jim Nevermann

we must never speak of this machine again

isn't this just an offshoot of the roto-toms,,, and i think there were a couple corps that used rotos back in the day,,,

the snare/bass/snare thing is a little over the top lol

found it..

Bridgemen,,, 78

Roto tom triple tenor..

I'd like to know who the "Respected players and educators" are who supposedly thought these things were a good idea.

The same respected players and educators who endorse those third-world horns marketed on eBay.

These are NOT Rototoms. The website doesn't seem to work but the drums have been around for a while in five piece drumsets. The idea is that one turn of the key tightens/loosens the head evenly all the way around. They added the marching drum a few years ago, as well as a "flats" drumset that looks like the old Rims Purecussion portable sets.

I actually emailed them when they were looking for an American distributor (they are in England), but import taxes were ridiculous. There new site isn't working but here is some more info on the drums.

Diagram of Arbiter tom.

Aribiter Story.

Edited by jonnyboy

That single tuning point concept, to me, was a great concept... at least for concert & set drums. I wonder, however, how/if it would have worked on our ultra-tight snare & tenor drums.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

isn't this just an offshoot of the roto-toms,,, and i think there were a couple corps that used rotos back in the day,,,

Ugliest sounding things ever, IMO. Slap slap slap....gee let's build some tunable drums....but we'll just leave out the shell to provide the tone and resonance.

So what you ended up with were tunable slappy noises. :tongue:

I remember Bayonne using them, as you found. I have this vague memory that Dennis may have been involved with creating the things, but I am not sure on that.