The Cavaliers 2009 Program

Who knew the CTA Green Line ended at the "Great Divide". How appropriate...

Wow.. the many facets of this inspired Cavalier concept continue to reveal themselves. I think we've pretty much established the show will feature "Louie Louie" to depict a raucous evening at Bar Louie and then "Harlem Nocturne" for the lonely, late night wait at the Harlem-Lake bus stop, adjacent to, what else? ... The Gap. Sheer brilliance. :blink:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knew the CTA Green Line ended at the "Great Divide". How appropriate...

I used to work in Oak Park...I've been to Harlem and Lake and would have never guessed it was some major, geological pinpoint.

Oak Park?? That would be an utterly stupid show. Everybody knows State and Madison is the center of the Great Divide....East & West....North & South....Cubs & Sox....North Branch & South Branch....the lakefront & the city....white collar & blue collar....the mountains of the Chicago Skyline...

It's so OBVIOUSLY My Kind of Town II. DUH!!

"LOgan Square will the next stop....LOgan Square!"

Extreme Make-over by Johan de Meij

Pampeana No. 3 - Impetuosamente by Alberto Ginastera

The Engulfed Cathedral by Claude Debussy

On the Great Divide by John Adams

Hmm . . .let's see:

The Ginastera was played by Glassmen in 01; good tune there . . .Crown did Engulfed Cathedral in 2003.

Adams "Great Divide" is a favorite, but I thought De Meij wasn't letting anyone do his stuff after the Cadets did "Big Apple" in 1999.

Verdict: thumbs up. . . this is the first Cavaliers rep I've looked forward to hearing in a number of years. Be interesting to see what the new arranging staff can do with this.

If we're talking about the piece "Grand Pianola Music", then yes, the last movement (or Part 2) is titled "On the Dominant Divide". Personally, I think a corps could make a pretty compelling show out of that piece alone.