Quantum Horn Reviews from the Regiment?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I do not think you are going to get any takers from anyone involved with the '09 season. Regiment really discourages their members from going on here any time they associated with the corps

*coughs*

oh really???!?

LOL RRRUT RROH RAGGY LOL

One of the euph players I go to school with marches with Phantom. To quote him "The new jupiters are great! The euphs play well, very few intonation problems and they're nicely balanced with the weight. I think they're better than the kings Phantom used in the past." So, that's at least one opinion from the members. I'm looking forward to hearing Regiment this summer because I want to see what they can do with the horns.

I had a chance to try the mellophone this past weekend at TMEA. I've had some experience with high school level groups (although great bands) but had never really had the time to give the horn a serious go with my own mello mouthpiece.

The balance is great. Of course it is, it's designed after the Yamaha horns and those things are greatness. But here's an odd problrm I encountered:

Top line F. After working through the mid register of the horn, I started working my way up and wanted to start on a top line F. Crowded exhibit hall and not wanting to be "that guy" that you hear frak a note 10 isles over, I went to play a mezzo forte whole note. Except when I went to play the note, it sounded as a quarter note, quarter rest, half note. wtf....

It literally felt like someone stopped up the horn for a moment. I was taken aback. Not to sound like a jerk, but I haven't screwed up a note like "that" in years...Fine tuning an articulation of center of pitch, yes. But for the sound to drop out suddenly as if the horn had a stutter...not in a loooong time.

So, just to be sure, I played the note at a greater volume. It sounded ok. But the resistance was still great. I spent the next half hour trying contrasting dynamics between 3rd space C up the octave. No other note seemed to have that exact problem. But time and time again, if the top line F was played bellow forte, the resistance seemed overwhelming and the sound would drop. I thought about air speed, constancy all that jazz. Same results.

That, to me, seems like a bad problem for a mello to have. Because mellophones are NEVER required to play beautifully bellow forte, and we especially never ever play a concert Bb. /sarcasm out

I also played on some at TMEA. I actually just picked up a random trumpet at a random vendor to try out the mouthpiece I bought. I was just trying to get a feel for it, and after playing a little while I checked to see what I was playing and when I saw Jupiter I was shocked. It seemed very durable and responded quite well for me. How things change over the years, Jupiter used to be that brand band directors dreaded their kids getting. One of my students got one not too incredibly long ago and it was broken when she opened the case for the first time.