Coming to DCI

Awesome. I'm seriously considering Bluecoats, after all they are a crowd favorite AND I know a few from Empire who left to go to Bluecoats this year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell your dad to contact me...Are you are Kenny's child? You can have a spot THIS summer! Come to the March camp. I will give you my flight information and meet me at the Rochester airport there and back. Get a season in and then try out for your dream corps next year.

I have trumpet spots open right now at Pioneer. We do not discriminate 15 year olds at all.

Donny

Tell your dad to contact me...Are you are Kenny's child? You can have a spot THIS summer! Come to the March camp. I will give you my flight information and meet me at the Rochester airport there and back. Get a season in and then try out for your dream corps next year.

I have trumpet spots open right now at Pioneer. We do not discriminate 15 year olds at all.

Donny

Yep, my father is Kenny, I'll tell him what you said. I dont know if I could though as I am marching with ES this summer. I will tell him still though :lol:

Donny

What a good guy you are Donny! I know him, and yes.. its Ken's son. (Dont hold it against him) just playin Ken

Good Luck Kris, let me know if your going through or by Erie on the road, always willing to support drum corps friends

Your right Spam, It's awesome of Donny for giving me an opportunity like this. My dad is out taking my brother to my cousins, so I'll talk to him when he gets back.

Edited by HighBrass08

I do like the idea of the more local corps from a money standpoint. My son want to try out for a DCI corps next year. The Closest are Glassmen and Capital Regiment (I Hope), those will be the ones he trys out for. Oh, he Loves PR and Cavies and Cadets, but IM paying the bills and Im not sending his butt all over the USA at 16 years old. So he can March for Glassmen or CR for a few years. Then if he gets that JONES that he just has to march with PR, HE can pay for it!!!

Yes. If you want to encourage the geniune growth and health of the activity, then let's stop paying for minors to jet around the country for drum corps. You're a 16-year-old drummer in Arizona? You owe it to yourself and the activity to give Academy a shot first. Talented 17-year-old trumpet player in Maryland? Cadets and Surf aren't far. There is hardly a place in the 48 where some corps isn't within a days drive (North Dakota?). Rather than lay out more than $1,000 to send your child (or worse, to sponsor someone else's child) by air to distant camps, stay close and donate the difference to a corps in need.

I don't get this irresponsible spending on travel to the one and only corps of my dreams. To me, that's the antithesis of the drum corps ethic which teaches us to take personal responsibility. Don't support those who believe (often naively) that there is only one corps for them no matter the expense or the hassle. In the first place, it's seldom true. Just as important, the genuine lesson and achievement of drum corps is in the diligence and commitment of individuals to the corps, not the other way around. It is the individual's responsibilty to satisfy the corps and his corpsmates, not the corps's responsibility to satisfy the individual.

Now down from the soap box and back to work.

HH

As far as the age thing, don't let it stop you. I decided I was going to march when I was 14 and went to camps, got contracted and marched my first season in div 1 when I was 15. Sure, we weren't the top of the pack, but we held our own and I learned a lot. I don't regret starting so young at all. Having 7 total years of D1/world class is something I am completely happy about. It gives you time to figure out what exactly you want to do. With that in mind, your dream corps may not be what you think. My rookie year, I was certain I was going to march with that corps until I aged out. Things changed. Staff changed. I changed. After a couple years I decided to go elsewhere. Somewhere I didn't even think of in the beginning. I love it now. I know that I made the right choice. You may think BD is your dream corps now, but later find out that you don't like that style of rehearsal or you find a corps you like better. I mean heck, my original plan was to march Glassmen and then end up at Phantom. Guess what?? Neither of those happened and I am eternally grateful for it. There's one thing I have found after being in the activity is that once you start talking about top 6ish, it has less to do with ability and more to do with atmosphere. Go where you feel comfortable, where it is your style. I like Cadets' shows, a lot. Their hornline is smokin and I have nothing but respect for them. Would I want to march there?? No way. I don't like their rehearsal style. My personal preference. Just some stuff to think about. I'd say to just get into the activity more. Talk to members. Figure out the ins and outs of a corps. Don't try to plan for 6 years down the road. You may just find somewhere you like a whole lot better.

As far as the age thing, don't let it stop you. I decided I was going to march when I was 14 and went to camps, got contracted and marched my first season in div 1 when I was 15. Sure, we weren't the top of the pack, but we held our own and I learned a lot. I don't regret starting so young at all. Having 7 total years of D1/world class is something I am completely happy about. It gives you time to figure out what exactly you want to do. With that in mind, your dream corps may not be what you think. My rookie year, I was certain I was going to march with that corps until I aged out. Things changed. Staff changed. I changed. After a couple years I decided to go elsewhere. Somewhere I didn't even think of in the beginning. I love it now. I know that I made the right choice. You may think BD is your dream corps now, but later find out that you don't like that style of rehearsal or you find a corps you like better. I mean heck, my original plan was to march Glassmen and then end up at Phantom. Guess what?? Neither of those happened and I am eternally grateful for it. There's one thing I have found after being in the activity is that once you start talking about top 6ish, it has less to do with ability and more to do with atmosphere. Go where you feel comfortable, where it is your style. I like Cadets' shows, a lot. Their hornline is smokin and I have nothing but respect for them. Would I want to march there?? No way. I don't like their rehearsal style. My personal preference. Just some stuff to think about. I'd say to just get into the activity more. Talk to members. Figure out the ins and outs of a corps. Don't try to plan for 6 years down the road. You may just find somewhere you like a whole lot better.

Thats true. Where did you march though?

Unfortunately upstate New York is not a good location for a DCI marcher if you're not willing to fly (though it is an EXCELLENT location for a DCA marcher). If you can fly I'd definitely go for BD, if not then go for Bluecoats. You've got a lot of years ahead of you so don't worry about getting into your favorite corps right away.

If neither of them will take you (most World Class corps have finished their auditions already and it's just pure luck if a spot opens up), I would definitely consider Open Class. With maybe 2 or 3 exceptions, any Open Class corps will not have a full hornline and will be willing to take you at any point in the season (I'm just assuming you play a horn). I checked Mapquest for you and the Raiders are about 5 1/2 hours away from Rocheser (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Rochester&1s=NY&2c=Wayne&2s=NJ), and I know for a fact that they will take you without an audition.

completely off-topic, but when i saw this thread title and thought of Neil Diamond

"We're coming to America..."