Drum Majors

Doesn't his brother play in the Major Leagues? I heard his favorite movie was "Major Leagues III: Major time Majoring in Drum Majoring"

That's a Major lotta majors...

(Completely OT: Majoring is a word! ...according to my spell check!)

Word...You gotta be bionic :thumbdown:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet because of DCI, we no longer have someone on the 50 returning salutes during the show.

IMHO, one of the better things to come from DCI.

I always liked when Madison late 70's/early 80's would respond after the salute with a tip of the hat instead of a smile.

What a shame the OP never experienced 27th's different versions of leaders.

Was it Boys of 76 that once entered the field playing the first note when the DM's cigarette hit the ground after being flipped in the air ? Dang, 40 years go by and you start to forget the little things.

Edited by The Other Mike

I know that this thread has gone down a different path, but I agree with the OP on one issue:

I do not like the god-awful 18 part-jump-up-and-down-twirl-three-times-wave-my-arms-so-fast-and-end-in-a-salute. Our HS MB goes through this ridiculous series of moves that half of the kids cannot do properly.

Please.

IMHO, The Troopers salute is by far the classiest of them all. It is simple, elegant, powerful, and raises DC above the marching band level.

I know that this thread has gone down a different path, but I agree with the OP on one issue:

I do not like the god-awful 18 part-jump-up-and-down-twirl-three-times-wave-my-arms-so-fast-and-end-in-a-salute. Our HS MB goes through this ridiculous series of moves that half of the kids cannot do properly.

Please.

IMHO, The Troopers salute is by far the classiest of them all. It is simple, elegant, powerful, and raises DC above the marching band level.

I'll go with that. After all, a salute is a basic gesture of respect. It isn't rocket science. :thumbdown:

I for one happen to love it when these strapping young men catch my eye in the stands and give me a little smile with a twinkle in his eye (especially you Madison Scouts boys). I can't completely explain it, but I get all tingly when they do it. So...I...for one hope they keep up the smiles.
Gee Grandma, you still get "tingly"? Looks like there's still hope for us old guys after all!! Edited by VOReason

What’s with the salute?

Why does this ritual exist?

The drum major makes an absurdly fancy salute—far fancier than any salute in any military I’ve ever seen—and then he smoothly, half-casually doffs his cap, and his face breaks into an “aw shucks" smile. (Preferably toothy)

A smile that says, “hey, sorry about that really kind of ridiculous salute type thing I just did there a second ago.

I’m not really like that.

All officious and all.

I’m just a kid, really.

Now, let’s begin this little entertainment of ours, shall we?”

I’m sorry, I know this is your chance, to shine, but I really believe the salute’s gotta go.

Just give us a little thumbs up or an “okay” sign. Just wave.

You can still give us that nice warm smile of yours. Just spare us the semaphore, will ya?

And oh yeah, no more batons.

:worthy:

NICE NAME THERE !! - maybe we're related..

The salute IMHO has lost a majority of its meaning over the last 25 years or so.

As "The other Mike" so succinctly put it, there isn't anyone there to accept the salute as was the norm 'back in the day'.

VFW and Legion oriented shows had "saluting officers" on the front sidelines (usually a high-ranking Legion or VFW dignitary) and a majority of the other circuits did the same, most of the time having local celebrities or politicians act as the saluting officer. Of course with that fabulous up-front seat.

I personally think that most people who try and teach DM's and such a 'salute' should make it a real function of the position..I guess that most of the folks involved as staff nowawdays think of it as just another 'show' function of the DM..

I agree with those who say the Troopers DM has it together. Probably because they wear a replica military uniform, and it would be an insult to their tradition to start getting 'artsy-fartsy' with one of the last vestiges of old school drum corps.

I guess I don't mind the 'smile' during or after a corps performance, but smiling right after the initial salute takes away the 'game face' look of the DM..I just think at the beginning, it should be 'all business'..although a nod or subdued recognition of the audience would be OK..

Now on the All-Age side...that's a bit different...Those changed eons ago..the DM's have been more a part of the show than in DCI...but even that's changing..Not enough personalities on the podium anymore. Dave Bruni seems to be the last of an era..

:thumbdown:

rant over...

Pat

It's a sign of respect. For your corps, and for your audience.

...and back in the day, we used to salute various officials, as someone noted.

Also...

It's one of the few opportunities that we're given, to face the audience! :thumbdown:

Cadets and Troopers (no surprise) have my two favorite salutes. Simple. Gets the job done.

Some people seem to think some salutes go on too long like in high school, but I don't generally get that from any drum corps. The overwhelming majority of them are pretty succinct. Some of these high school salutes are like three act plays with intermission!

As for the smile, I don't see what the big deal is. Doesn't bother me at all.

With the exception of possibly one Corps, no one does a proper military salute. (Still waiting for the day when he wears that sabre to conduct the show and does a salute with the sabre)

Anyways, why sweat it. The salutes today are part of the show. Take it for what it's worth and in the spirit in which it is presented.

That would have been '95 Kilties Senior, no hop, just a sword salute. Rockford show. Little old ladies in the stands complained and it was taken out after a while. Still happened at retreat though, up to '98 IIRC.

Oddly, Troopers DM started wearing a sabre. Americanos started wearing a Spanish rapier. I think Nicole O'Leven even carried some Irish sabre for a short time then too.