Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Calgary Cavaliers. The year was 1979.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw the Calgary Cavaliers in Cheyenne in 1985.

Let's not forget the Rocky Mountain Magic, from Denver, CO. They performed in exhibition at DATR for several years in the mid-80's. They had around 15 horns, 5 or 6 flags, two snares, a quad, two basses, and wore pink uniforms, IIRC.

Edited by troopers1

I taught that Corps!!! We had a policy not to cut kids and the drum instructor ( Joe Guadagnino) had quite a following from the Greece Cadets and Firebirds including a very young JJ Pipitone and Mickey Hartzog on snare.

The hornline knew we were outnumbered but still tried really hard. All in all, a pretty good Div 2 corps at the time, placing as high as 4th place at DCI Champs in 1985...Phantom Cadets, Canadian Knights and the Ventures were ahead of them....wait maybe it was 5th because now I remember the California Dons also being quite good.

How about ...

Wampsville Grey Ghosts

Mark Twain Cadets

Conqueror

....just to add a few.

Donny

Weren't the Dons Div I in 1985? I remember them playing Amparito Roca with a pretty big hornline.

The Flying Dutchmen - Quincy, Illinois

Iron Cross - Ste Saint Marie, Michigan

The Legionaires - Dubuque, Iowa which became Colt. 45 and now Colts....djk pb

forgot one more....The Nee-Hi's Clinton, Iowa

Redwood has more from early Wisconsin days - LaCrosse/Analaska corps.... before the Blue Stars

Have to correct your spelling, my brother....it's ON-alaska. I lived just north of there in Trempealeau....a very small Upper Mississippi River town.

How small?

RON HOUSLEY

bust my chops on spelling? spelling DOES NOT count....

you are talking to a kid that grew up on the River and yes I know were Trempealeau is

there's a lock and dam there - No. 9 if I'm not mistaken - right down from Red wing...

now how about a comment on my obscure corps....

here's another one for ya - The Kewanne Black Knights which became the Geneseo Knights Illionis....

Giles Yellow Jackets Chicago, Illinois

now go smoke some of that Fresno Fern..... BTW - missed ya at the Rose Bowl....pb

The Flying Dutchmen - Quincy, Illinois

Iron Cross - Ste Saint Marie, Michigan

The Legionaires - Dubuque, Iowa which became Colt. 45 and now Colts....djk pb

and the other Flying Dutchmen - Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario :-)

The Stevens Point Centralaires.

You guys are good! I didn't think anyone else would remember the Zephyrs, much less the Centralaires. I judged a bunch of these corps numerous times back in the 70's.

A few more from Wisconsin/Minn (apologies if already mentioned, and some not all that obscure):

West Bend Patriots

Mounties (Twin Cities)

Oshkosh Warriors

Green Bay Northmen

Belles of St. Mary's (Rhinelander)

Blue Knights (Twin Cities)

Royal Grenadiers (Iowa....somewhere)

Royal Knights? (Manitowoc?)

Some corps, name escapes me, from Park Falls, WI?

Bear- You're right, it's lock and dam #6 there at Trempealeau, home of "Catfish Days", Mile 714 left descending shore, just down from Winona, ovr on the Minnesota side. I later owned a farm in Cataract, about half way between Black River Falls and Sparta before moving back to Cali.

Sorry about not making Rose Bowl, had some family health problems that forced me to pull out of the corps. The good news being that Mom is doing very well these days.

Guaranteed that we'll run across each other in the future and we'll continue that safety meeting we had in my truck the year before.

Or did we? :smile:

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3