Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

I can recall three other corps:

West Bend Wranglers

The Chordaliers(from the Milwaukee area)

and:

The 32nd Hussars from Madison

Kate

The Trumbull Troubadors. A great little corps from CT. The biggest guard, ever. 45 young women - really! Like the Muchachos on estrogen. I loved them!

Puppet

I taught that Corps!!! We had a policy not to cut kids and the drum instructor ( Joe Guadagnino) had quite a following from the Greece Cadets and Firebirds including a very young JJ Pipitone and Mickey Hartzog on snare.

The hornline knew we were outnumbered but still tried really hard. All in all, a pretty good Div 2 corps at the time, placing as high as 4th place at DCI Champs in 1985...Phantom Cadets, Canadian Knights and the Ventures were ahead of them....wait maybe it was 5th because now I remember the California Dons also being quite good.

How about ...

Wampsville Grey Ghosts

Mark Twain Cadets

Conqueror

....just to add a few.

Donny

I taught that Corps!!! We had a policy not to cut kids and the drum instructor ( Joe Guadagnino) had quite a following from the Greece Cadets and Firebirds including a very young JJ Pipitone and Mickey Hartzog on snare.

The hornline knew we were outnumbered but still tried really hard. All in all, a pretty good Div 2 corps at the time, placing as high as 4th place at DCI Champs in 1985...Phantom Cadets, Canadian Knights and the Ventures were ahead of them....wait maybe it was 5th because now I remember the California Dons also being quite good.

Donny

I agree there's no way the Northmen were 'obscure.' They were in the thick of class A competition in the early-mid 80s. I think it was a bit more typical for class A corps of that era to have larger drum lines compared to the brass section.

How about ...

Wampsville Grey Ghosts

Mark Twain Cadets

Conqueror

....just to add a few.

Donny

[/ quote]

You taught the kids from Trumbull? Thumbs Up!

Puppet

Wow...I remember New Day. I never saw their feeder corps though.

West Allis Wranglers have always stuck in my mind as having been a merger or new name for an older corps, but I might be mis-remembering that. I competed against them a bunch in '76 - can still hear their tymp intro for "Hang 'em High" in my head (so they must have left the field before us at retreat more often than not).

Back before my time there was a corps in Lake County, IL called "Custers Brigade". Pretty sure there's a pic of them on the historical photo thread, but I've never actually met anyone who marched or taught there.

West Allis Wranglers have always stuck in my mind as having been a merger or new name for an older corps, but I might be mis-remembering that.

I believe the Wranglers were part of the St. Matthias Cadets/St. Matthias Preps, which both had their final seasons in 1973.

The very next year was when the Wranglers came out.

Edited by Northern Thunder